Author Topic: UNC Greensboro to Drop Wrestling  (Read 1211 times)

Online Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: UNC Greensboro to Drop Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
2 down, 3 more to go. Just like clockwork.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline buck

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »
Again, nobody cares.  They averaged less than 50 per dual meet.
Republicans stand for raw, unbridled evil and greed and ignorance smothered in balloons and ribbons.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline herbp

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:01:08 pm »
http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcawebsit...g_program.aspx

This is the article's site. Burns is a GREAT guy and has done everything but sell his Organs to make THAT program work !!
 PLEASE !! Someone cut a Field Hockey team !! Or any WOMAN'S Sport !!
You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.
N.Gaimann

Offline KR1963

• National Champ
  • OMFG ROTFLMFAO WTF SMFH NFM We ARE...
    • View Profile
    • Everything Penn State Wrestling
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »
And this right after they got a verbal from Bradon's Wally Figaro.
CLICK BELOW FOR MY EVERYTHING PENN STATE BLOG:
http://everythingpennstate.theopenmat.org/

A WRESTLER'S MOST OFTEN HEARD OFF-SEASON QUOTE: Are you gonna eat that?

"I'd nail her so hard, whoever could pull me out would be named King of England" Deadspin

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »
that's a tough break for a program that could be turned around ...
I need to quit making sigbets I can't win!  this is getting ridonkulous!

Offline JFS

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:32 pm »
 Two great tournements and the schools that hold them.  Anyone see something in common?  If you do not,then you will never see anything!

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
what's going to happen to the tourneys?  I mean so no Kaufman Brands?
I need to quit making sigbets I can't win!  this is getting ridonkulous!

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »
Two great tournements and the schools that hold them.  Anyone see something in common?  If you do not,then you will never see anything!

I may regret asking this, but what direction are you going with this?  Are we to believe someone is trying to kill the sport by taking out major events?  Do you think Northwestern is in danger?  Is that your thought process here?

RYou

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:31:57 pm »
Additionally, the 2010-2011 state budget repealed eligibility for out-of-state students on full athletic scholarships to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes. For UNCG, this resulted in a loss of $750,000 in student-athlete scholarship funds.

Whoa you guys missed the real issue here.  This type of law isn't restricted to wrestling, it affects all scholarship sports in North Carolina.  If this type of law catches on and expands, wrestling and host of other sports are in deep trouble.  This type of law in effect is a sport killer, not a team killer.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:34:06 pm »
Additionally, the 2010-2011 state budget repealed eligibility for out-of-state students on full athletic scholarships to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes. For UNCG, this resulted in a loss of $750,000 in student-athlete scholarship funds.

Whoa you guys missed the real issue here.  This type of law isn't restricted to wrestling, it affects all scholarship sports in North Carolina.  If this type of law catches on and expands, wrestling and host of other sports are in deep trouble.  This type of law in effect is a sport killer, not a team killer.

Is the "full athletic scholarship" key there?  Not many wrestlers are on full athletic scholarship.  Also, not every state allows this anyway.
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Online Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:05:36 pm »

I may regret asking this, but what direction are you going with this?  Are we to believe someone is trying to kill the sport by taking out major events?  Do you think Northwestern is in danger?  Is that your thought process here?

You have to wonder about the significance of the two being dropped. There seems to be a lot of people in a hurry to get rid of D1 wrestling.

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother. Every year we lose numerous programs, we get angry, write some meaningless letters or emails, shake our fists and then about 2 weeks later, we forget about it all. AD's know our M.O. They can read us like books. I expect in the next 10 yrs, nearly all D1 wrestling programs to be gone, along with D2. NAIA, juco, some D3 and mostly clubs will remain. Things will get much worse before it gets better.

Better start work on getting my boys tennis lessons or some other weak country club sport.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:24 am »

You have to wonder about the significance of the two being dropped. There seems to be a lot of people in a hurry to get rid of D1 wrestling.

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother. Every year we lose numerous programs, we get angry, write some meaningless letters or emails, shake our fists and then about 2 weeks later, we forget about it all. AD's know our M.O. They can read us like books. I expect in the next 10 yrs, nearly all D1 wrestling programs to be gone, along with D2. NAIA, juco, some D3 and mostly clubs will remain. Things will get much worse before it gets better.

Better start work on getting my boys tennis lessons or some other weak country club sport.

I don't buy it. 

Online Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 10:57:44 am »
You don't have to buy it because that's the way it is. We lose roughly 5 programs a year. In 10 yrs, we'll be down 50 more programs, most likely all D1.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 11:39:45 am »
You don't have to buy it because that's the way it is. We lose roughly 5 programs a year. In 10 yrs, we'll be down 50 more programs, most likely all D1.

Which, even if it comes to pass which is not close to a ure thing, is a far cry from your original claim that nearly all D1 and D2 teams will be gone in 10 years.  You like to do your little dance with the doom and gloom to further some tangential vendetta you seem to have against certain leadership, but you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute on the subject.  I'm done with you.  Do your dance as you will.