Author Topic: Illinois State Finals  (Read 1042 times)

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Illinois State Finals
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »
Went down to see the Illinois semi-finals and finals on saturday.  Some pretty good wrestling.  Since it went to 3 classes a couple of years ago it was watered down the tourney a bit, but here are some random thoughts on some nationally ranked kids.

Lee Munster - The Northwestern recruit looked dominant avenging his only loss of the year in the final.  He was headlocked and pinned the week before by Sterling Hecox.  In the State finals Munster wrestled a smart match and dominated Hecox.  It was the 3rd title for Munster.  He is going to be a good 197 lber in the Big Ten.

Dardanes brothers - Both Nick and Chris looked good.  Chris probably had a deeper weight class and both brothers had to win a couple of tight matches to claim their titles.  They are headed to Minnesota next year, and look like they are tailor made for Big Ten wrestling.  Both are hard-nosed, physical wrestlers who will fit in really well in J. Robinson's room.

Ben Whitford - The Freshman phenom capped his 1st year with an undefeated record and a title at 119 lbs.  Wrestling in AA he tech falled his overwhelmed finals opponent.  He would have won the AAA title too.  Even as a freshman, he might have been the most impressive kid in the state.  Very smooth and well coached, he was never out of position.  

Max Scnheider - This kid is becoming a legend in Illinois. If you're not familiar with his story check this out: http://www.premiumpreps.com/content.cfm?id=466  

Schneider won his 1st title as a soph at 145 lbs this year after losing in the finals last year.  His finals match was the most entertaining bout of the night.  Demitrious Mitchell and Schnieder both came into the match unbeaten.  They went to overtime tied before Mitchell unfortunately had to injury default with about 3 seconds left in the TB with what appeared to be a serious knee injury.  At the time schneider was up by 2.

Keith Surber - Another kid who looked good.  He dominated returning state champ Ed Cooper in the 130 lb. finals.  Surber is headed to Nebraska next season. Nebraska also had another recruit, Matt Dwyer,  win a title at 215.

Jeffery Brown - This heavyweight from Evanston was barely ranked, nor known in nationally or even statewide before the weekend.  But I have to give props to the 1st wrestler from my Alma MAter to win a state title in 21 years.  The big guy won 4 matches 3-1, 4-2OT, 3-2, and 3-1 to cap a 49-1 season with a state title.  He is headed to Miami (fla.) to play football next year, so this was probably his last real match.  But I got a chance to speak with him and his coaches after the match and he was a great, humble kid (if you can call someone who's 6'4" 270 a kid).  It sounds like he has a nice future in football, it's too bad because having only started wrestling as a freshman.  While I was talking to his coach 3 different Big Ten coaches came up and wanted to know if he was going to continue wrestling.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:25:35 AM by ac1998 »

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: Illinois State Finals
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
Good stuff AC thanks for sharing
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Drooke

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »
Hey AC, do you have a link to the final brackets?

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:41 AM »