Poll

You Don\'t Have To Blow Out My Candle To Make Your\'s Seem Brighter

Yes
6 (75%)
No
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 04, 2010, 10:01:31 AM

Author Topic: Does anyone try to live by this philosophy?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Does anyone try to live by this philosophy?
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Be Honest.

Not just in your "real" life, but here on the forum as well.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone try to live by this philosophy?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »
Quote from: "a guest"
Be Honest.

Odd question guest, I have seen people who do try to diminish another person's successes just to inflate themselves, but I have never understood that approach.  We should celebrate another person's success and accomplishments as much as we would want our own celebrated, infact more.  We should accept our own with complete humility.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
Quote from: "coachsparky"

We should celebrate another person's success and accomplishments as much as we would want our own celebrated, infact more.  We should accept our own with complete humility.

This is very encouraging Sparky!  Are you starting to lean towards conservatism?  Because liberal progressives behave the exact opposite of the statement you made above!
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
Quote from: "Jimmy the Gent"

We should celebrate another person's success and accomplishments as much as we would want our own celebrated, infact more.  We should accept our own with complete humility.

This is very encouraging Sparky!  Are you starting to lean towards conservatism?  Because liberal progressives behave the exact opposite of the statement you made above!

Your skewed view of the liberal position just makes you believe that.  Liberals celebrate everyones successes.  Trust me, I could kill myself before becoming a selfish greedy conservative.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
Be Honest.

Odd question guest, I have seen people who do try to diminish another person's successes just to inflate themselves, but I have never understood that approach.  We should celebrate another person's success and accomplishments as much as we would want our own celebrated, infact more.  We should accept our own with complete humility.

I totally agree!

Mark your calendar spunky
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:17 AM »
It is completely the way of life in Junior High and High School.  You only hope that many would mature and grow out of it in life - human nature and it is wrong.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville