Author Topic: Fantasy League Suggestions  (Read 1627 times)

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Fantasy League Suggestions
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:24:12 AM »
Well I said I'd make a topic for it, so here it is.

Things that are open for discussion:

-The participants (there is at least one person who is getting the boot this year, and possibly more.  I have to consult with Akin).  We also might add another two spots to make things a little more challenging and to let more people participate).
- Buy ins / Prizes.  This year we had an optional paypal thing that I think like 4 or 5 people bought into.  Depending on the public interest its possible we have a mandatory buy-in, or at least a t-shirt pool or something.

- The list/method by which tournaments are scored.  This is something a LOT of you expressed interest in changing this year.  I wasn't going to change something after the draft, since that would have affected peoples strategies, but I did say we'd open it up for discussion next year.  Now that the season is coming to a close I'll take input from you guys on this.

-The keeper system.  Should we have one?  How should it work?

- Supplimental drafts/Free Agency.  I like the system we have now of giving people a chance to drop/add 3 guys.  But someone mentioned during the supplimental that maybe our last pick should just be an add, bringing our roster cap to 16.  I'm intrigued by this idea and I'll consider it for next year.  I'm also thinking about giving people one drop/add to use between december and conferences, as the way things are now, if a guy goes down in January you are pretty much fucked.

-Other things I'm sure I havent thought of, but will think of, or things that you guys will think of and bring up.

Things that are not open for discussion:
- Head-to-head play.  This is wrestling, not football.  While there are a few different catagories of things (escapes, takedowns, wins, etc) keeping track of them would be incredibly difficult if not impossible.  And I think the cumulative system we have now is way more fun/interesting/representative of the true fantasy masters then putting you all in head-to-head matchups would be.
- Our qualifying system.  I think the system we have right now of the top 4 on points and then conference wildcards is perfect, and there is no need to change it.  If everyone qualified the regular season/conferences would be meaningless, so I think its important we have a pretty stringent requirements to get in (I know some leagues that dont, and I think is dumb). It is possible I'll add another wildcard spot if we do add two more people

I'll also be making Akin Vice Commissioner (assuming he wants to play again) in recognition of his great assistance this year.  This means he will have the power to confirm trades, rule on lineup things, and assist me in all things comishly.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy League Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
I like the idea of a keeper system...I use it in a baseball and football league and it has worked out well.  
right now my keeper has been the back to back Cy Young winner...

I think adding one or two spots would be fine...it would spread it out a little bit.  (as I have just finished my inaugral fwrestling though I'm not sure I have a large enough background to know for sure what it would do) I find that in baseball anymore than 12 teams really leaves you stretching in certain categories.

I have learned that if you draft an Iowa guy you're screwed because only one of their tournaments is going to count during the year..but that worked out awesome for McDonough.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
Quote from: "brycemus"
I like the idea of a keeper system...I use it in a baseball and football league and it has worked out well.  
right now my keeper has been the back to back Cy Young winner...

I think adding one or two spots would be fine...it would spread it out a little bit.  (as I have just finished my inaugral fwrestling though I'm not sure I have a large enough background to know for sure what it would do) I find that in baseball anymore than 12 teams really leaves you stretching in certain categories.

I have learned that if you draft an Iowa guy you're screwed because only one of their tournaments is going to count during the year..but that worked out awesome for McDonough.
My Iowa guy has been pretty solid.  I actually have him in two leagues.  I'm in 2nd by one in that one.  Ugh.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
I still like the idea of opening up all open tournaments.  

Also, I was thinking maybe a bonus point for beating say a top 5 guy.  It would be a little bit more work but I think keeping track of the top five at each weight is manageable and rewards you for having a guy who wins the tight ones against top opponents at least to a level close to what someone with a guy who has a weaker schedule and scores a lot of points would get.

Maybe as an addendum to that rule when putting up your weekly schedule you have to put if your guy is wrestling a top 5 guy during duals and you have a day grace period after a tournament to notify.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
Quote from: "Cicero"
I still like the idea of opening up all open tournaments.  

Also, I was thinking maybe a bonus point for beating say a top 5 guy.  It would be a little bit more work but I think keeping track of the top five at each weight is manageable and rewards you for having a guy who wins the tight ones against top opponents at least to a level close to what someone with a guy who has a weaker schedule and scores a lot of points would get.

Maybe as an addendum to that rule when putting up your weekly schedule you have to put if your guy is wrestling a top 5 guy during duals and you have a day grace period after a tournament to notify.

I agree with both of these suggestions.  Open all tournaments and bonus for beating a top 5 guy (maybe like 1.5 times the amount normally given).

I also think we should switch from the d1collegewrestling rankings to the TOM rankings if we keep the beat a ranked guy in a non scoring tournamnet rule.