Author Topic: 2010 Dapper Dan Line-Ups Finalized  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline NJFINEST

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Dapper Dan Line-Ups Finalized
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17:58 AM »
Whats the deal, according to the article below Shober not Kindig is gonna wrestle Villalonga.

Whats the deal?

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=205276

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
Hmm hopefully Willie pops in here this morning and lets us know the deal.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

sgallan

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
Good move at 112/119. Rhone down can keep it close or pull the minor upset given Finch hasn't had a competitive match in quite sometime.

sgallan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
Upon further review...... Rhone only has a chance in a 1-0 type match. He may be able to avoid Finch, get a ride out, and an escape. He has to do this without getting a stall call. It is pretty much his only way to win. Finch is stronger, more technical, way better on his feet, and can turn and ride on top. He may struggle on bottom...... Pennsylvania as a state is wicked on top and that level maybe the only chink Finch has.

FWIW, my pick is Finch wins easily even if the score looks close.

sgallan

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »
Bold is my pick.....

112: #1Ryak Finch, Safford, AZ, 204-2, 3x, Iowa St.
Vs.
#10Mike Rhone, Benton, 135-20, Runner-Up, Lock Haven

119: #5Ty Mitch, Aurora, OH, 163-22, 3x, Virginia Tech
Vs.
#20Anthony Marino, Liberty HS, 138-22, Runner-Up, Bloomsburg

125: #1Logan Steiber, Monroeville, OH, 184-1, 4x, Ohio State
Vs.
#2Mitchell Port, Bellefonte, 156-18, 1x, Edinboro

130: #12Jamie Clark, St. Edwards, 128-8, 3x, Illinois
Vs.
#17Joe Spisak, Boiling Springs, 164-15, 1x, Unsigned

135: #2Ryen Nieman, Bullock Creek, Michigan, 231-6, 3x, Indiana
Vs.
#1Josh Dziewa, Council Rock South, 126-7, 1x, Iowa

140: #2Chris Villalonga, Blair Academy, NJ, 144-3, 4x, Cornell
Vs.
#1Josh Kindig, Blue Mountain, 172-12, 2x, Oklahoma State

145: #4Joe Cozart, Brandon, FL, 226-4, 4x, Iowa State
Vs.
#1Andrew Alton, Central Mountain, 178-8, 2x, Penn State

152: #3Jackson Morse, Lowell, MI, 184-9, 3x, Illinois
Vs.
#1Dylan Alton, Central Mountain, 176-5, 3x, Penn State

160: #4Nick Sulzer, St. Edwards, OH, 146-17, 1x, Virginia
Vs.
#1Marshall Peppelman, Central Dauphin, 181-7, 3x, Cornell

171: #9Nick Visicaro, Long Branch, NJ, 153-17, 2x, Rutgers
Vs.
HMMatthew Cunningham, Shady Side Academy, 162-12, 1x, Cornell

189: #1Mike Evans, Blair Academy, NJ, 153-8, 1x, Iowa
Vs.
#7Jamie Callendar, Council Rock North, 156-27, 1x, Drexel

215: #1Trevor Rupp, Pocatello, ID, 113-6, 2x, Unsigned
Vs.
#2Spencer Myers, Selinsgrove, 149-18, 1x, Maryland

HWT: #2Bobby Telford, St. Marks, DE, 116-14, 2x, Iowa
Vs.
#5Evan Craig, Abington Heights, 169-10, 2x, Unsigned

sgallan

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
112 Already commented on.

119 - The Pa gamble that either they can split the difference and may steal both, versus a sure loss without Rhone at 112. Mitch should win easily enough.

125 Port is a tough, tactical, get into a match, punish mistakes, tireless wrestler. Steiber is Steiber. He wins handily.  

130: This is a weight where the PA team could have stolen a win over a battered Clark.... but they couldn't put anybody out there.  

135: Neiman is a stud but will suffer from not being able to wrestle at this level for several months. That will be the difference. Dziewa here.

140 If Kindig wins here then the US team is in trouble. I think Villalonga has more overall skills and wins.  

145 Andrew Alton could get a major here.

152: Morse won the last go but I suspect Alton gets his revenge. Morse does pose serious style problems for Alon.  

160: Folks in areas are saying Sulzer may even be the slight favorite. Not. It may only be a 1-0 bout but Pepplemen gets the one.

171: A weight where Pa could have done better. Viscaro wins here.

189: This is a stupid weight. Evans is a PA kid.

215 Rupp is the better wrestler but a long time with no competition means trouble. Pa gets this one.  

HWT: I like Craig.... he has a feel for this sport.

Drooke

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »
Hey Du, are you going to cover this event?

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:48:20 AM »
a few things...

i can't cover the event. wish i could, but it's this weekend and i'll be in omaha.

shober was asked to wrestle. he said yes. they said they'd get back to him. he thought he had the nod and, when asked, told a reporter. Mr. Shober saw the line-up posted without Colin's name. He called a member of the DD committee (i'll withold the name) and he told them they went with someone else.

171 should have been Hess. it doesn't make sense that they went with 2 160's on the USA team. when they did, everyone assumed it was because they wanted to take both Peppelman and the Hess/Cowburn winner. then...they take cunningham anyway   ???

maybe because Hess won, and he smoked Visicaro earlier in the year, idk?

i also agree with gallan. why pick evans for team usa when he is a PA kid? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of PA vs USA? lol.

despite this being PAs best team in a while, the way the match-ups came out, i don't think they have a better or worse chance of winning than they do in any other given year, imo.

although i wont be surprised if spisak, cunningham or even marino wins. (spisak especially). and the V/Kindig match will be a barnburner.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Drooke

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:26:58 AM »
I guess I didn't read the fine print, I didn't catch the fact it was this weekend.....I'm glad you are indeed gonna be at Natty's this weekend!

Offline futurama

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »
I can relate one example of how the DD committee chooses the PA team, which can be kind of confusing/misleading.  A few members of the committee will sit right by the awards stand for the AA finals (not sure about AAA) and give a letter to a senior state champ. The letter is an official invitation to be "considered" for the Dapper Dan team. The letter reads like it is an invitation to be on the team but a little deeper in the letter it says that it isn't an indication that the wrestler has been chosen but only being considered to be chosen. Although it appears as though the kid has been invited, the DD committee doesn't decide on who to issue invitations to until they meet on Saturday night after the AAA finals or Sunday.  On Sunday afternoon, the DD committee contacts the wrestlers with the invite.  As I'm not a member of the committee, I don't know if it is done this way all the time but I know from personal experience that this is one example of how they choose the team.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
thanks for the insight futurama. what i was told was that they asked colin if he could make weight to wrestle 135. he said yes, but the committee decided to go with dziewa, who is deserving, and a good choice too, imo. but then why even ask colin in the first place?
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
Maybe they were trying to hedge their bets, just in case Dziewa or Kindig backed out?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.