Author Topic: Went to a Kushti gym yesterday  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: Went to a Kushti gym yesterday
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
Whoa, it's almost been a year since I wrote this post.

I mentioned in the MMA discussions portion of TOM  that I have found zero wrestling opportunities here in Ethiopia, so I have actually been taking some kickboxing lessons here with a guy from Kenya (the footwork is sooo different between the two sports it is making both of us very frustrated).  This week he called me and stated that the boxing team he trains here in Addis Ababa is interested in learning some wrestling this weekend.  My coach thought for a moment and suggested that Sunday's training session with me may be the closest to wrestling they have in this country.  I am psyched.

Now that is awesome.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
Not going to happen tomorrow.  Just got a call from my coach.  There was a confusion in the time.  8:00 for the West means morning time.  However, 8:00 here is actually 2:00 in the afternoon.  In Ethiopia, the day starts at sunrise rather than at midnight.  So, 8am for us is 2pm for them.  The guys won't be able to make it in the morning becuase they will be at church.  Plus, Lent is a fasting time, so I think Sunday afternoon will be low key for the team.

I don't think I'll be able to work any wrestling with them until after Easter when they no longer are fasting.

To be honest, I have heard of cultures fasting during certain times of the year, but in Ethiopia they do it throughout Lent, Holy Days (Ethiopian Orthodox Church has 44), and I think Fridays as well.

I am a bit bummed, but I understand that they may not be able to do any wresting training until after Easter.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:23:39 PM by a guest »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Quote from: ViseGrip
Quote from: a guest
Quote from: AKIN
a guest, I always enjoy reading about the experiences you have. Thank you for giving us a peek at another culture and your journeys. Hope you have safe travels.

Thanks.

In July we are moving to Ethiopia.  I have sent a couple of emails to FILA regarding any wrestling clubs in Addis Ababa that may need an assistant-to-the-assistant-to-the-assistant volunteer lightweight coach.  However, no reply from FILA, their African offices, or offices within the surrounding countries. 

I hope to play it by ear once we arrive.  I wonder if their is a local brand of wrestling (along the lines of what we found here in Kushti) in Western Africa that I can learn about.

There was a Sports Illustrated article once about Bobby Douglas and tribal wrestling in Africa. He might be a source.

Can you by chance send me his email address via the message center here on the TOM forum?
Sorry a guest... I just now saw this reply. I dont have Douglas's e-mail, but AC Guns might know someone who does.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »
So, on Friday afternoon I walked to the Ethiopian Olympic Commission's head office.  They are only like a mile from our house.  I introduced myself and asked if there were any wrestling clubs I could volunteer at.  I was told "We have no wrestling in Ethiopia".  Now, I understand if they have a team, but just don't qualify anyone for international tournaments, but I wasn't expecting such a blunt answer.  He told me to contact the local boxing, Ti-kwan Do (sp?) and judo federations.  Maybe I can teach a clinic or maybe do some work with their instructors to help add something to their repertoire.

Not looking good, but we got two more years to try to start something here........

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »
Just had our first practice.  Two guys showed up.  Mostly worked on stances and played games to keep us thinking about stance and center of gravity (sumo wrestling and tail wrestling).  Did a couple basic takedowns and re-reminded about stances.  The mats...well...were not real wrestling mats.  I think for now on we will just practice in my yard on the ground.  The gym was nice and the manager liked the wrestling aspect.  He thinks the sport can become popular again since there is actually history of the sport here. 

I am exhusted.  This is more than just first-day-back-and-oh-and-my-body-doesn't-move-the-way-it-used-to tired.  The altitude really got to me.

After practice, the guys were bummed that we won't be able to practice for another two weeks (gym is closed on Easter Sunday next week and I have to work next week from Mon-Sat).  So, I guess they had a good session. Hopefully, they will be able to convince more of their fellow kickboxers to join in as well...

I need a nap, but instead, I'll be doing my taxes.

Drooke

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »
Please keep us in the loop on this A Guest....you could be planting a seed that will someday evovle into an Olympic Champion.  Very Cool!

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
Practice two was today in my backyard.  Sprawls, crossfaces and lots of pullups.. 

I emailed the African FILA offices this week for any guidance regarding tournaments. I have not heard anything... I see that the African Games are a couple months away, but wrestling will not be included.  Looks like most of the activity in Africa is out of Senegal...nowhere near us.

Heading to a vacation/business trip in a week for three weeks.  Hope to have a couple of practices before we go. 

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »
Found an internet cafe...haven't been out much since the toddler has had a fever ever since we got to Paris for a little vacation.  Anywho, got an email from FILA stating that there is no national governing body fopr wrestling in Ethiopia.  Therefore, technically, they guys I am working with cannot travel to FILA events to compete  (or cannot compete for Ethiopia...not sure on the wording).  FILA suggested that I start the governing body for Ethiopia. Not sure how to do that.  The gov't may not help much since they really are pushing running with soccer a very distant 2nd place.  Wrestling is not a priority in Ethiopia.  A buddy of mine is trying to promote kickboxing tournaments, but since the government owns the rings and equipment, he cant promote in Ethiopia.  Therefore, he goes back home to Kenya to have his tournaments.  Any guidance out there in TOM World?

Move back to America
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 04:56:38 AM »
In due time Vice.  Until then, why not come visit?  You have a place to stay for free....

Can we start a "send ViceGrip to Africa" collection?

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
Went to the ministry of sport today.  There is a traditional form of wrestling here.  It is called Tegil (or Tigil).  I gave them my contact details because I would like to learn more about it.  Apparently every now and then in the rural areas they will have traditional sports days that consist of tegil, a game that looks like floor hockey, and a kind of horse race.  However, the ministry of sport does not know when the next traditional sports day fair will be (or where it will be.  Who knows, maybe they will contact me back...

Offline royboy

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • you gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 01:04:08 AM »
pretty cool stuff a guest. You should start up an EWAY while your at it. :)
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."