5. George W. Bush
3 (13%)
6. Barak Obama
6 (26.1%)
7. Other
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: June 21, 2010, 12:57:24 AM

Author Topic: Who is our worst President ever?  (Read 4700 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Who is our worst President ever?
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:57:24 AM »
Who has been our worst President?

BTW.... if you put other, let us know who it was and why.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: Who is our worst President ever?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:07 AM »
I went with Carter I can not say Obama as history will only tell
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
I have enough history on Obama to already make the call.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
While they are eerily similar on foreign policy, Carter never tried to nationalize 1/5 of the economy nor did he attempt ANYTHING like Cap-and-Tax, nor did he take over two major automobile companies and attempt to virtually take over the banking industry.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

crablegs

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
No Reagan?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
Quote from: "crablegs"
No Reagan?
LOL.... no he's on that BEST President's list.

crablegs

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
Oh ok.  Obviously a biased question.   :lol:

On a serious note, anyone who could pick Obama after less than two years in office, and without any historical context is out of their mind.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »

On a serious note, anyone who could pick Obama after less than two years in office, and without any historical context is out of their mind.

Oh I'm not out of my mind and I believe I can defend my position quite logically, historically and effectively.

crablegs

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:49:10 PM »
Quote from: "ViseGrip"

Oh I'm not out of my mind and I believe I can defend my position quite logically, historically and effectively.

I don't think you can.  The biggest thing Obama has done, healthcare, has yet to take effect.  The impact of his healthcare reform will not be known for years to come.  
His stimulus package is still not done, and it will be a while before you can completely judge its effects.  

Calling him the worst president ever 1.5 years into his term is completely ideologically based.  Maybe he could finish 1 term, which he isn't even half done with, before we call him the worst ever.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »

I don't think you can.  The biggest thing Obama has done, healthcare, has yet to take effect.  The impact of his healthcare reform will not be known for years to come.  
His stimulus package is still not done, and it will be a while before you can completely judge its effects.  

Calling him the worst president ever 1.5 years into his term is completely ideologically based.  Maybe he could finish 1 term, which he isn't even half done with, before we call him the worst ever.

The point is, it was one of the most significant pieces of legislation ever passed and was done so only through procedural slight-of-hand and in opposition to the people. And he is attempting to do the very same thing with cap-and-tax. His other significant "success", his porkulous bill is/has spent over a trillion dollars to reduce unemployment and unless you count 400,000 temporary census workers, has failed. His foreign policy has alienated our friends and embolden our enemies. He has done nothing of substance in the gulf spill but inhibited the cleanup. His staff is FULL of corruption and incompetent ideologues.

To say I cant call him a failure at this point is like watching a football game where one team is down by 45 points halfway through the second period and saying you cant come to the conclusion that they are going to loose.

crablegs

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »

The point is, it was one of the most significant pieces of legislation ever passed and was done so only through procedural slight-of-hand and in opposition to the people. And he is attempting to do the very same thing with cap-and-tax. His other significant "success", his porkulous bill is/has spent over a trillion dollars to reduce unemployment and unless you count 400,000 temporary census workers, has failed. His foreign policy has alienated our friends and embolden our enemies. He has done nothing of substance in the gulf spill but inhibited the cleanup. His staff is FULL of corruption and incompetent ideologues.

To say I cant call him a failure at this point is like watching a football game where one team is down by 45 points halfway through the second period and saying you cant come to the conclusion that they are going to loose.

My point is that you are basing all of that off of opinion, and none on facts.  

He passed the the health reform bill using a procedure that has been used several times and is part of the allowed rules.  You don't know how successful or unsuccessful this bill will be.

Has the stimulus bill spent over 1 trillion?  What exact bill are you talking about?  The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has to date spent slightly over 400 billion.     http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/home.aspx     And I do count census workers as jobs because they are working when they otherwise wouldn't be.  They are helping to temporarilly stabilize the workforce as the private sector picks up.  

His foreign policy has alienated our friends and embolden our enemies.
Again based on your opinion.  What has the negative impact of his foreign policy been in actual facts?  Not what some right wing commentator says on the radio or in a blog?

So, you can say in your opinion he is the worst president in history.  But, no one can claim that based on the evidence because we don't have enough yet.  Sure he could end up being a very bad president.  We could be attacked, enter a double dip recession, health care could continue to waste trillions of dollars.  All might happen, lets wait and see.  

Your point is more like calling a pitch a ball or a strike when its less than halfway to the plate.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »

My point is that you are basing all of that off of opinion, and none on facts.  

He passed the the health reform bill using a procedure that has been used several times and is part of the allowed rules.  You don't know how successful or unsuccessful this bill will be.

Has the stimulus bill spent over 1 trillion?  What exact bill are you talking about?  The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has to date spent slightly over 400 billion.     http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/home.aspx     And I do count census workers as jobs because they are working when they otherwise wouldn't be.  They are helping to temporarilly stabilize the workforce as the private sector picks up.  

His foreign policy has alienated our friends and embolden our enemies.
Again based on your opinion.  What has the negative impact of his foreign policy been in actual facts?  Not what some right wing commentator says on the radio or in a blog?

So, you can say in your opinion he is the worst president in history.  But, no one can claim that based on the evidence because we don't have enough yet.  Sure he could end up being a very bad president.  We could be attacked, enter a double dip recession, health care could continue to waste trillions of dollars.  All might happen, lets wait and see.  

Your point is more like calling a pitch a ball or a strike when its less than halfway to the plate.
There are quite clear and tangible results here that you are ignoring. The clear failure of his "porkulous bill", the lack of support for his #1 policy objective. The scorecard in elections so far support my football analogy. He's getting his ass-kicked both domestically and abroad.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
I do think Ford should be on that list
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

crablegs

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
Sorry, but public opinion, elections and polls, is the absolute worst measure of success/failure that I have ever seen.  Obama's approval rating is not really low either.  Sure it is lower than when he was elected, but it is comparable to many presidents (some you probably think were the best ever) at this point in their terms.  http://www.gallup.com/poll/116479/barac ... roval.aspx

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »
Based on what you posted he is tied for the 3rd worse
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth