Author Topic:  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
Hey everyone, I am starting out next year an as assistant coach for a high school team and I was wondering if people could give me some tips on how to work the kids hard but not cause kids to burnout and end up hating wrestling.  I use to try and run practices until the wrestlers would drop or throwup but I have a feeling the kids on my team are not year round wrestlers and will either quit or not respond well to that level of intensity.  What I'm curious about are like fun games to mix into the practices that work on technique and or basic skills that isn't as mundane as basic back and forth drilling which can get very boring.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Julio »
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
My first bit of advice is to identify the kids who can and can not be pushed, before you push any of them. I'll look for a link that has some wrestling games, and post it when I find it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
Quote from: "drmuscle"
My first bit of advice is to identify the kids who can and can not be pushed, before you push any of them. I'll look for a link that has some wrestling games, and post it when I find it.
This is very good advice.

My biggest advice to you would be to get the majority of your conditioning from wrestling specific drills/games. Something you've already figured out. NOT RUNNING. Kids hate raw cardio training! At that level, most simply cannot make the connection in their little teenaged brains from raw cardio training to match performance. Introduce a skills circuit in the room. Where the kids rotate from station to station doing different drills and cardio in 30-60 second bursts. Pull ups, stance motion, knockout/hip heist/circle up, jump rope, jumping, full sit ups, hand fighting w/ a coach, live takedowns w/ a coach, dumbell rows, rope climbing, Peg board, etc etc. Mix that in once a week in the first month or so.

Also, something that works for me and makes kids happy :) is bringing them in, paring them off and have them wrestle a ten minute match. Then give them a ten minute break. Then wrestle another ten minute match w/ ten minute break. After three ten minute matches, simply let them go home. Or bring them in for a "light" 1/2 hr learning session, especially if you notice a trend across the team in a certain position of technique that needs addressed. Tell them to keep the intensity low and just learn and improve mentally. After that, let them go home. They appreciate it.

More later...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Intensity guru »
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
We do a game where all the kids pair off and each has a towel tucked in the back of their shorts. They can use any type of wrestling manuever but the object is to get the other kids towel. It's great fun for them but also develops wrestling skills.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »
<a href='http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/movies/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/movies/index.html[/url]

Scroll down, there is a list of games.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the help :).  Anything else ?
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:03:11 PM »
<a href='http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/movies/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.wrestlingsbest.com/movies/index.html[/url]

Scroll down, there is a list of games.
Thats a great website! thank you!

Ron Reagan

Offline RedWrestler

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
Quote from: "Intensity guru"
This is very good advice.

My biggest advice to you would be to get the majority of your conditioning from wrestling specific drills/games. Something you've already figured out. NOT RUNNING. Kids hate raw cardio training! At that level, most simply cannot make the connection in their little teenaged brains from raw cardio training to match performance. Introduce a skills circuit in the room. Where the kids rotate from station to station doing different drills and cardio in 30-60 second bursts. Pull ups, stance motion, knockout/hip heist/circle up, jump rope, jumping, full sit ups, hand fighting w/ a coach, live takedowns w/ a coach, dumbell rows, rope climbing, Peg board, etc etc. Mix that in once a week in the first month or so.

Also, something that works for me and makes kids happy :) is bringing them in, paring them off and have them wrestle a ten minute match. Then give them a ten minute break. Then wrestle another ten minute match w/ ten minute break. After three ten minute matches, simply let them go home. Or bring them in for a "light" 1/2 hr learning session, especially if you notice a trend across the team in a certain position of technique that needs addressed. Tell them to keep the intensity low and just learn and improve mentally. After that, let them go home. They appreciate it.

More later...
i was the only kid on our team that actually liked the running.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by RedWrestler »
"Gentlemen. You can\'t fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »
Quote from: "Cougar1"
We do a game where all the kids pair off and each has a towel tucked in the back of their shorts. They can use any type of wrestling manuever but the object is to get the other kids towel. It's great fun for them but also develops wrestling skills.
I use that game to teach getting angles.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Intensity guru »
I always bring my hips to the party.