Author Topic: Is wrestling a a dying sport?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline ajt

• World Team
    • View Profile
Is wrestling a a dying sport?
« on: October 01, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »
I live in Western PA, I grew up in NJ. I cant find anyone to coach our districts high school wrestling team.

Back when I was a kids every school had a wrestling program, now less schools are running a program and teams are being cut each year.

I find this hard to believe considering the popularity of MMA and the dominance of wrestlers in the sport. How is that kids arent interested in wrestling?

Are we watching what would be the ultimate decline of the sport?

What do you guys think? I hope Im wrong, but it certainly feels like the sport is on the decline.

Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one.
Mark Twain

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
Re: Is wrestling a a dying sport?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
According to the most recent NFHS statistics, wrestling is continuing its rise in participation at the high school level. It's at the highest level in roughly 30 years.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
I don't think wrestling is dying because you don't have a coach.  If you didn't have kids, that would be a worry.  A coach could be many different variables. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
What district?
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline ajt

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »
its good to see the numbers are going up, it doesnt feel this way. perhaps using raw numbers doesnt tell the entire story, because schools with great wrestling traditions never seem to have trouble getting kids, coaches ect. some districts, especially big ones have more kids on the JV squad then others do through every level.

to start a program like i did seems next to impossible especially against the backdrop of going against these programs. several teams have blinked off and on, several more smaller teams are on the chopping block as their numbers dwindle.

wrestling is year round now and it seems to be the natural evolution of the sport, but as a football/wreslting coach myself it does make it tough on these football guys to walk into the room and be out of shape, out of practice in relation to the guy training all year round.
some of these guys have abandoned wrestling for that reason as well. my son still does both, and he knows he will struggle at the begginning of the season to get in wrestling condition. I have tried to convince him to give up football, and that isnt going to happen.

Laws control the lesser man... Right conduct controls the greater one.
Mark Twain

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
IMO, specializing in one sport is more damaging than its helpful. Of course, there are exceptions, but when you look at college wrestlers bio's, it almost always seems to me they have been at least two sport athletes.

I'm under the firm belief that only doing one sport throughout high school, just isn't good for you. Playing another sport, such as football helps you in so many ways. Not necessarily for keeping you in shape, but the little things like developing foot speed, lateral movement, mental otughness, etc. I also think its good for the body to do other movements, besides the ones we're accustomed to in wrestling only. Things like hand-eye coordination, IMO, develop better by playing sports like football and baseball.

One of the things I found growing up was the more sports I did, the better athlete I became. Now, I was far from the greatest at anything, but I was pretty good at every sport I've ever played. I've taken that same mentality in coaching my own kids. They play soccer, football, wrestling, baseball and track. And at home, we shoot hoops in our spare time. All those things put together make for a better athlete.

So, for me personally, I think it would be a msitake to pull your son out of football, in the hopes that he can train year around for wrestling.

Again, JMO.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."