Poll

Should the words "nigger" and "injun" be purged from the book Huck Finn

Yes... they are offensive and should be replaced.
2 (7.4%)
No... They are part of the book and it shouldnt be censored
25 (92.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Huck Finn & the "N word"  (Read 5781 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Huck Finn & the "N word"
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
Can I change my mind?   ;D
It worked for it worked for the Democrats and the Iraq war (twice evidently)... I dont see why it cant for you
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
'Nigger' appears only 6 times in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and I found it much more entertaining.  Possibly it would be a better choice for reading lists.

I read them both in middle school, and I might have a different opinion if I read them again.  Or not.  But in that regard, the tastes of a middle school kid are probably a better yardstick anyway.  If educators want kids to enjoy reading, you couldn't tell from the book lists they create.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:42:34 PM by Ray Brinzer »

flag

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »
Leave the classics alone but if a school edition must be censored, there should be a notice at the beginning of the book stating as such.

Offline sp103

• LXP
  • World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
Keep the book the way it is but keep it out of schools at the same time.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »
Why dont we just quit giving one word way too much power over us.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 01:49:52 AM »
Why dont we just quit giving one word way too much power over us.

Nope, we have to keep everything drastically PC.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »
Niggarfagwhopspicdagocrackerchinkkrautmickgookretardkikecameljock... if there is anyone I have failed to offend here please forgive the omission.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
You forgot the lesbians
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
You forgot the lesbians

Not just them....

Niggarfagwhopspicdagocrackerchinkkrautmickgookretardkikecameljockdykelonghorn.....  ;D

flag

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
you spelled nigger wrong, also there is redneck, guido, cockroach (Rwanda), kaffer (S Africa) 

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
No way Twain could of told that story and not used that word. One of best writers in contemporary English was the late, great, George MacDonald Fraser, his classic work, Black Ajax (the story of the first great black heavyweight) is also full of "The Word," that book could also never have caught the zietgiest as it were if the author tried to be PC. It would ring false. It's a shame because, some of the most non PC works (Conan, Tarzan, Imaro, Black Ajax) are the ones that could grab the youths attention and seduce them into becoming readers.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

StephanVonVesthell