Author Topic: 2 girls make Iowa wrestling history  (Read 5316 times)

Offline gg121and2

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
2 girls make Iowa wrestling history
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 2 girls make Iowa wrestling history
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »
Why does one of those girls have a moustache and goatee?  ;)
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

crablegs

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
This was extremely impressive.  I am friends with Cassy Herkelman's aunt.  I was rooting for her.  She pinned a guy who had beat her twice this year.   

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
My brother is the coach at Ottumwa where Megan Black is from.  She is an extremely nice girl and works as hard as anyone in the room.  Congrats to both wrestlers.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

crablegs

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Heard some interesting news from the Cedar Falls coach today.  The guy Herkelman has in the first round at state forfeitted to her this year, and the rumor is he may do so again. 

Drooke

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
Wow that is interesting....his loss....literally.

Cruo

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
He should be okay if he brings his cootie spray.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:36 AM »
Wait...when Linn-Mar and Cedar Falls met in a dual earlier this year, Mr. Northrup didn't wrestle, sure, but their 103-pounder, who also qualified for states, bumped up to 112 and pinned Ms. Herkleman.

If Mr. Northrup would forfeit to her, I seriously would wonder if Mr. Northrup had a crush on Ms. Herkleman!

Offline yomama cantrassle

• DIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:36:24 AM »
 I remember how i was at 15-16 years old. If I would have had to wrestle a cute chick it would have been tent pole city. As a precautionary measure they should be uglied up a bit before competition.

On a serious note, when I was a kid we had a girl that trained at the club where I trained. I could not for the life of me wrestle her full speed and was always afraid of where my hands were on her body. I just couldn't do it.

Wasn't trying to start a "should girls wrestle boys" conversation. Big accomplishment for both young ladies.

Offline yomama cantrassle

• DIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 01:39:33 AM »
Also I'd like to throw out a good luck to Kyle Springer, a 112lber in the 2A State tournament who moved there from GA. Go GA boy!

crablegs

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
Wait...when Linn-Mar and Cedar Falls met in a dual earlier this year, Mr. Northrup didn't wrestle, sure, but their 103-pounder, who also qualified for states, bumped up to 112 and pinned Ms. Herkleman.

If Mr. Northrup would forfeit to her, I seriously would wonder if Mr. Northrup had a crush on Ms. Herkleman!

It is a foregone conclusion that Northrup would destroy her.  She is simply not on his level, although I would argue she is far above his level in terms of maturity and toughness.  It is just not in any good wrestlers mentality to forfeit ever!

I had a girl on my team in highschool and I practiced with her all the time.  Never once did I take it easy on her, and I was no more worried about touching her inappropriately then I was about grabbing a guys balls.  I am disappointed any wrestler would say that because it plays into the common criticism that we here all the time, "Wresting is gay.  A bunch of dudes feeling up on other dudes."  Sorry, but there is no feeling up going on in wrestling.       

crablegs

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
He forfeited. 

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »
Cassy Herkelman (FR), Cedar Falls Def Joel Northrup (SO), Linn-Mar Marion
Logan Ryan (FR), Bettendorf Fall Megan Black (SO), Ottumwa, 0:52
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
He defaulted to her, not forfeited.  The difference is a forfeit and he's done for the tourney, a default and he can wrestleback. Until he meets the other one possibly.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »
Megan lost her consolation match by fall in 3:15.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:16:20 PM by acguns »