Author Topic: 2 girls make Iowa wrestling history  (Read 5317 times)

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 2 girls make Iowa wrestling history
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Wrestler defaults against Cassy Herkelman for 'family beliefs'

DES MOINES, Iowa --- Chalk up another historic win for Cedar Falls' Cassy Herkelman.

It came, however, with unfortunate circumstances.

After days of rampant rumors, Linn-Mar of Marion's Joel Northrup, citing family beliefs, defaulted to the Tiger freshman in a 112-pound Class 3A first-round Iowa high school state tournament match Thursday at Wells Fargo Arena.

In a statement to the media, Northrup said this, "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Meagan (Black, an Ottumwa girl wrestler) and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

In order to be allowed to wrestle back, Northrup showed up at Mat 5, then proceeded to default, not forfeit according to an IHSAA official.

Northrup's father, Jamie, is pastor at Believers in Grace Fellowship, a non-denominational church in Marion.

Northrup, third last year as a freshman at 103 and ranked fifth in the state, is home schooled.

This isn't the first time Northrup has avoided wrestling Herkelman. In a Jan. 13 dual, the Lions bumped up 103-pound starter Alijah Jeffrey to face Herkelman.

Herkelman's debut at the state tournament will now take place Friday at 9 a.m. against Matt Victor of Indianola (34-10), a first-round winner by fall over Sam Jameson of Glenwood in 5 minutes and 11 seconds.

Read more.....................http://wcfcourier.com/sports/high-school/cf_tigers/article_be270f06-3aa7-11e0-9694-001cc4c03286.html
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »
Looks like it is a religious issue for the kid. If so, I have no problem with him defaulting.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110216/SPORTS0810/110216045/State-wrestling-Girl-s-opponent-might-forfeit-first-round-match?High School Sports

Cassy Herkelman of Cedar Falls may become the first female to win a match at Iowa’s storied state wrestling tournament Thursday, though in unexpected fashion.

Her opponent, Joel Northrup of Linn-Mar of Marion, is considering a forfeit, according to a top school official.
Linn-Mar superintendent Katie Mulholland said she was told during a meeting of the school’s athletic council on Monday — a day after the state pairings were finalized — that Northrup might be unwilling to compete against a girl.

“I have not been informed officially what’s going to happen, but I do know that with his family’s faith beliefs, this presents a very challenging dilemma to them,” Mulholland said. Mulholland said the school would not penalize Northrup if he chooses not compete, and the school has not taken a position on the matter.
“The family and Joel will be making the final decision,” she said.

Calls placed Wednesday to the Northrups and Linn-Mar wrestling coach Doug Streicher were not immediately returned.

Northrup and Herkelman were scheduled to meet in a dual Jan. 13, but Northrup did not participate. Rather than forfeit, Linn-Mar wrestled 103-pounder Alijah Jeffery against Herkelman, according to the National Wrestling Coaches Association database. Jeffery subsequently pinned her.

Herkelman’s father, Bill, said he’d heard rumblings that a state forfeit could be brewing.
“We’ve just heard that it may be 50-50,” said Bill Herkelman. “My understanding is that they’ve got strict convictions (as a family), and I respect them. I don’t have any ill will toward them and I don’t think it’s any kind of boycott about her being a girl.”

The possibility of the forfeit was first reported by Cedar Rapids’ Metro Sports Report.
Alan Beste of the Iowa High School Athletic Association said that Northrup, who is 35-4 and ranked fifth at 112 pounds in Class 3-A, must report to the scorer’s table when called if he wants to continue to compete in the consolation round.

If Northrup does not report, he will be eliminated from the meet. Though Linn-Mar qualified eight for state, it’s not a favorite for the team title in 3-A.

Herkelman owns a 20-13 record and, along with Megan Black of Ottumwa, made history as the first two females to qualify for the traditional state wrestling meet. Black (25-13) is slated to meet Bettendorf’s Logan Ryan (26-7) — also in at 112 pounds in Class 3-A.

Another interesting subplot could develop: If Northrup forfeits and competes in the consolation rounds, it’s possible he could face Black or Herkelman later in the tournament.

Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

crablegs

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
Cop out. 

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Very tolerant of you, Crab.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

crablegs

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
Well, without knowing more information, I have never heard of such a religious stance.  Maybe someone can identify what religion he is from, and what that religion exactly prohibits. 

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »
Northrup's father, Jamie, is pastor at Believers in Grace Fellowship, a non-denominational church in Marion.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »
Tough decision. I would never have my kids default out due to wrestling a girl, however I can understand the frustration. Its a no win situation for the boy. If he wins, people make fun of him because he beat a girl. If he loses, he catches heck for losing to a girl. The girl have nothing to lose and everything to gain no matter what.

I am all for girls wrestling, just think they should have their own tournament. Name another sport where this is done in HS? Yes girls can compete in football and possibly soccer, but its not the same as wrestling a girl.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
Maybe he thinks girls are "icky". 

I do wonder where in the bible it says that boys can't wrestle girls....or something eluding to this.

*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Cruo

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
No respect for a religion that treats women as inferior to men.  Anyone who is a follower of Christianity or Islam or whatever other religion places men above women should seriously reconsider their worthless religious beliefs.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »
No respect for a religion that treats women as inferior to men.  Anyone who is a follower of Christianity or Islam or whatever other religion places men above women should seriously reconsider their worthless religious beliefs.

I got news for you. Pretty much every religion believes that. Mormonism believes men get to Heaven simply because they are men. Women only get their foot in the door by having a bunch of kids.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Meagan (Black, an Ottumwa girl wrestler) and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner."

Where in that quote does it infer that he thinks women are inferior? It sounds more like he does not feel it is appropriate to engage a female in a violent or combative manner.

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
Nice to see the cedar hill girl getting some press here in ca. Our local tv station did a story about her win at state.
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »
This article was on the front page of Yahoo today. A lot of nutcases posting comments about it there.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
Wait...when Linn-Mar and Cedar Falls met in a dual earlier this year, Mr. Northrup didn't wrestle, sure, but their 103-pounder, who also qualified for states, bumped up to 112 and pinned Ms. Herkleman.

If Mr. Northrup would forfeit to her, I seriously would wonder if Mr. Northrup had a crush on Ms. Herkleman!

It is a foregone conclusion that Northrup would destroy her.  She is simply not on his level, although I would argue she is far above his level in terms of maturity and toughness.  It is just not in any good wrestlers mentality to forfeit ever!

I had a girl on my team in highschool and I practiced with her all the time.  Never once did I take it easy on her, and I was no more worried about touching her inappropriately then I was about grabbing a guys balls.  I am disappointed any wrestler would say that because it plays into the common criticism that we here all the time, "Wresting is gay.  A bunch of dudes feeling up on other dudes."  Sorry, but there is no feeling up going on in wrestling.     

You couldnt be more wrong about Northrup. The easy decision would be to subordinate his beliefs and go win the match. We all know the dedication and sacrifice any kid at that level has to exhibit to succeed. While both of us may not agree with his position on this, to mjndlessly opine that he is immature for standing up for his principles at great personal disappointment is what is immature.

I applaud her for her success and wish her well and I applaud him for standing up for his principles.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:41:03 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Drooke

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »