Author Topic: 2 girls make Iowa wrestling history  (Read 5294 times)

Online a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: 2 girls make Iowa wrestling history
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »
Drooke, I read the Reilly piece and was wondering a few things that I hope Rick could help me with:

1. Are "body slams" and "eye gouging" really part of the sport of high school wrestling?

2. Can someone explain to me "the" two-point reversal?  Are there other kinds that are worth more or less points?

3. Is there anyone at ESPN who used to wrestle?  Why was that person not asked to write an opinion piece about this story?

4.  Can someone please...oh please....ask Reilly to attend/participate in a week's worth of practice next year? 

I know this sounds petty of me, but can ESPN/SI/etc... have actually writers who have wrestling experience write stories about wrestling?  I mean, does ESPN or USA Today ask their baseball writers write about football?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:05 AM »
Rick Reilly weighs in... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6136707

What a f**king cheap shot. It just goes to show the contempt the 5th Estate has for those who live their faith. For the most part I doubt they believe in God and thus cannot understand those that do. Nor can they understand subordinating personal ambitions to faith that has a higher calling.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

crablegs

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »
The 5th estate?  Now this is a class thing?  And you are questioning everyone else's religion who doesn't agree with this decision?

"If the Northrups really wanted to "respect" women, they should've encouraged their son to face her."

Cruo

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
It was a decent article.  Remember this is an opinion piece, not a news report.  Everyone is allowed to have an opinion.  I didn't find much wrong with the article except this:

"Body slams and takedowns and gouges in the eye and elbows in the ribs are exactly how to respect Cassy Herkelman."

???  So wrestling dirty and illegal to intentionally try to injure her would be respectful?  I'm sure she'll be thrilled if some young lad takes her on a date and instead of opening the door for her he gouges her eyes out.  I understand the point he was trying to make, but he really showed his lack of understanding of the sport with that quote.  Wrestling is a tough sport and things happen where you get injured, but he is making it sound like a damned Brazilian cage fight.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
The 5th estate?  Now this is a class thing?  And you are questioning everyone else's religion who doesn't agree with this decision?

"If the Northrups really wanted to "respect" women, they should've encouraged their son to face her."

WHO's doing the questioning here crab???? Its YOU and others who want to tell this young man his moral standards dont count. You condemn him for having a higher standard (whatever he chooses that to be) instead of accepting it as his personal choice.  And then not content with just that... Reilly goes on to insult his parents, suggesting that they arent acceptable to be parents of a female. I might understand all this if the girl was somehow hurt. Getting advanced to another round is NOT getting hurt btw.   The intolerance of another's belief system by some here is sad. 
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

crablegs

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

WHO's doing the questioning here crab???? 

For the most part I doubt they believe in God and thus cannot understand those that do
And again what does the 5th estate have to do with this?  Your hate for the poor and working class is unneeded in this thread. 

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »

WHO's doing the questioning here crab???? 

For the most part I doubt they believe in God and thus cannot understand those that do
And again what does the 5th estate have to do with this?  Your hate for the poor and working class is unneeded in this thread.

My mistake. I meant Fourth Estate (the press)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:43:54 AM by ViseGrip »

sgallan

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »

WHO's doing the questioning here crab???? Its YOU and others who want to tell this young man his moral standards dont count. You condemn him for having a higher standard (whatever he chooses that to be) instead of accepting it as his personal choice.  And then not content with just that... Reilly goes on to insult his parents, suggesting that they arent acceptable to be parents of a female. I might understand all this if the girl was somehow hurt. Getting advanced to another round is NOT getting hurt btw.   The intolerance of another's belief system by some here is sad.

I agree with Vice here. If that kid didn't want to wrestle my kid (who would be in a state tournament in most state save single state champ states and  Pennsylvania). I would be cool with the move into the next round. What the kid did is his and his families thing. From my POV as a coach, and the POV of my athlete, it is time to get ready for the next match. If my athlete wins they get tons of team points and places at states.