Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01:30 PM »
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
The Minnesota style makes an excellent short-term plan, and it's a valuable part of a long-term plan.
With which, I remind myself of why I've been so frustrated with wrestling, in recent years.

This is actually quite like what we've done with the Angry Fish:  teach people to keep good position, hand-fight, and gut wrench.  Our philosophy on the gut wrench has been:  we know it's coming, you know it's coming; try and stop it.  It's gotten us a respectable number of cadet and junior national champions.

It's works very well when you have high school athletes coming to you from a dozen different programs, and you want them to be highly competitive at a tournament in a new style four months later.  And for a nation where Greco isn't important, and your goal is to get the most out of adult athletes who are there because they couldn't make it in folkstyle or freestyle.

But that's not who we want to be.
Very good points. Hard to argue with that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
Thanks to all for the input here. I'm copying off some of this for my son. I totally agree with the idea of taking riskier moves to score. I'm always pushing the envelope with him on that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton