Author Topic:  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
(No subject)
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »
Glad to see her win again. She is coached by her husband, Levi Weikel-Magden, who wrestled for Stanford, who I helped coach at my HS with his father.

Interesting side story, I was told she is no longer training at the OTC, as they had a falling out with the coaches. I was told if she made the team again, USAW would try and keep her off the World Team. Is that possible?

Anyways, here is an old story about Patricia.

Miranda a leader in debut of women's wrestling
By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
Physician Jose Miranda stressed education to his daughter Patricia. When she joined the boys' wrestling team in eighth grade, his worries went beyond the headlocks and bloody noses. He feared her schoolwork would suffer.

Patricia Miranda, right, working out at the U.S. Training Center in Colorado Springs, treats wrestling like academics with meticulous preparation.  
By Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY

"I was not very enthusiastic toward this thing," says the family practitioner in San Jose, Calif. "But we made a deal. If she could keep the A's and the 4.0 average, she could do whatever she pleased with the rest of her time."

Miranda became a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Stanford, where she wrestled on the men's team and earned a bachelor's degree in economics and a master's in international policy. The 25-year-old will enter Yale Law School in September — after she represents the USA in Athens in the 105.5-pound class when women's freestyle wrestling makes its Olympic debut. (Related story: U.S. has wealth of experience in coaching staff)

Although it took her father years to watch her wrestle, he will be in Athens rooting for her and doing grappling contortions in the stands like a typical wrestling parent.

"I'm very proud of her," says Miranda's father, 59, who immigrated to the USA from Brazil. "But she did it on her own. I didn't do much except try to oppose it."

There are only six college varsity women's wrestling programs in the USA. About 4,000 high school girls wrestle, up from about 100 in 1990, but only Texas and Hawaii have separate, state-sanctioned girls competition.

Women, however, have wrestled in their own world championships since the late 1980s. Now they're in the Olympics.

"Women's wrestling isn't like women's soccer, or something like that, yet in the world," Miranda says. "Not everybody thinks it's something serious or something great. But this is something I do. I believe in it."

After putting Yale Law on hold for two years, she's out to improve on her silver-medal finish at the 2003 world championships in New York. "New York comes back every day," she says. "The only thing that really lets me put those voices to rest is the fact that there is redemption in Athens."

Five feet tall, Miranda has the sturdy build of a wrestler. But she looks most like a wrestler when she's hustling through practice, her T-shirt soaked with sweat or when she's hitting a move in a match.

"Wrestling is wrestling," says Terry Steiner, national women's coach for USA Wrestling. "That's what I've said to some of the naysayers, college coaches and stuff like that. I just said, 'If you had Patricia Miranda in your room for a month, you'd change your attitude about women's wrestling.' ... If she's not what the Olympics are all about, I'm missing the boat."

Men's freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling have seven weight classes. The women get four in Athens, but it's a start.

"They are really the survivors of the sport," says Steiner, a former NCAA champ at Iowa.

"They've had to put up with so much. Nobody goes through that if they don't love what they're doing."

Winning over dad a bonus

Miranda was 10 when her mother, Lia, died of a brain hemorrhage. Her father was left to raise four children, a challenge even with help from his mother and a nanny.

He made sure they focused on school. To him, wrestling was a diversion. To his daughter, it became a passion.

"The specific thing about wrestling that hooked me was how much like a fight it was," she says. "My initial goal was just to go back long enough to figure out how to fight back."

In ninth grade, she joined the Saratoga (Calif.) High boys' team coached by Lloyd Asato.

Her father did not attend her high school matches. Early in her high school career he visited the coach and the guidance counselor as "kind of a last recourse" to see if he could get her out of wrestling.

"The people in the school had been so supportive of my family when my wife died that I trusted them, basically,"' he says. "They told me there is a risk (his daughter) could go astray academically but that she was a good student and they were going to keep an eye on her."

By her junior and senior years, Miranda was a team captain and says she won "probably as much as I lost" against boys.

Then came Stanford, where coach Chris Horpel and later his successor, Steve Buddie, welcomed her to the men's team.

Miranda wrestled for five years at Stanford, mostly in the practice room. In her final season, she got into the lineup after the regular wrestler couldn't make weight and another had grade troubles.

She competed in the 125-pound class, lightest in college wrestling, even though she never weighed more than 120. Her foes typically cut weight.

In seven dual meets, she was 1-7. The victory was by forfeit, but she never was pinned. Her overall record in her final season was 3-13. She won twice in tournaments, once against a woman and once against a man from a community college.

At Stanford, she began dating wrestling teammate Levi Weikel-Magden, now her boyfriend and coach and a law student at the University of Virginia. He will help coach her in Athens.

"He basically coached me through college. ... He really helped me develop the backbone of my wrestling," Miranda says. "I'm not saying the Stanford coaches weren't extremely supportive and helpful, but they had their lineup to worry about."

Since 2002, she has been coached by Steiner as a resident athlete with USA Wrestling in Colorado Springs.

"Terry really filled in the holes in my basic wrestling. He knows my moves," Miranda says. "Levi is more my emotional coach. He understands when I'm feeling good, when I'm starting to doubt."

In high school and college, she began competing in women's freestyle. As a collegian in 2000, she made the U.S. world team as an injury substitute and took silver at the world championships.

Eventually, she also won over her father. She says they've always had a close relationship, but it was one that didn't involve wrestling. "I'd be gone on a wrestling trip and we'd call each other, but it would never come up," she says.

Her father recalls finally going to watch her wrestle in a women's tournament in the USA in 2001. He says it was time to hold up his end of the deal and show support. He quickly got into it.

"I was wrestling the chair in front of me. I almost broke my back," he says.

He'll be in Athens with his second wife, as well as Miranda's two brothers and sister.

Miranda says there was another telling indicator of her father's support. After the 2003 worlds, she reapplied for a fellowship she had been awarded a year earlier that would have offset her expenses at Yale. She didn't get it, and she called her dad to say she was sorry.

"That's when he really came around and said, 'Listen, you made the right choice,' " she says. "He'd never said anything like that."

Pinpointing attention to detail

Miranda takes the same well-planned approach to wrestling as she does to academics: "I think my academics have transferred and helped me out in athletics. ... I take notes in class and go back and outline the notes. I'll make a summary outline before the final, and I'll make flash cards. I have a process I go through in order to help me be at my best on a certain day."

Before a July training session, she went over handwritten notes on specifics. She has notebooks full of such details. She boils them down from one notebook to another, then finally to flash cards.

"Everything is very specific," she says, and that might include various tactics and options for match situations of all sorts.

"Some of it is attitude-oriented, like 'fight for every point.' ... But none of it is as broad as 'be a great person' or 'win a gold medal.' "

But her goal is the gold. In the 2003 worlds finals, she was beaten 5-4 by three-time world champion Irini Merleni of Ukraine.

"It was so surreal," Miranda says. "I felt like I was just cut in half."

In the seconds after the match was over, she thought if she focused hard enough, she could turn back time, put another minute on the clock.

She gets that chance. Two weeks from today, when the 105.5-pound class final is contested, she could have a shot at the first Olympic gold awarded to a woman wrestler.

"New York was worth it if it was a step along the way ... something that motivated me to get on the right track for Athens," she says.

Her father turns 60 Aug. 16. He's hoping for a "late present" when she competes.

He says his grasp of wrestling is very basic: "I know more or less when they score. ... I can't appreciate the fine things."

But he'll be there, wrestling the chair in front of him again.

"It's your child," he says. "You hope she can go out and beat the other girl."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rockhard »
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:56:43 AM »
Interesting side story, I was told she is no longer training at the OTC, as they had a falling out with the coaches. I was told if she made the team again, USAW would try and keep her off the World Team. Is that possible?

Yes it is possible USA rarely follows their own Rules. They have twice passed over 2 athelets I know of in womens for World Teams.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:59:47 AM »
Currently I am aware that there are female athletes wrestling with three coaches: Terry Steiner at the OTC, Levi who is on his own and Keith Wilson who coaches Chun and is expanding his network. All three have been in our HS wrestling room with their girls (at the same time) and I think they have a pretty good rapport with each other, and mutual respect) in spite of the fact that there were some obvious problems that led to this. When you have people you have politics. When you have organizations you have more politics. Let's hope it all works our for the best and the right decisions are made for the athletes and the future of USAW wrestling.

Patricia is a bit like the energizer bunny. She just keeps going and going and going...

What HS were you at Rock?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:40:34 PM »
Quote from: "Cougar1"
Currently I am aware that there are female athletes wrestling with three coaches: Terry Steiner at the OTC, Levi who is on his own and Keith Wilson who coaches Chun and is expanding his network. All three have been in our HS wrestling room with their girls (at the same time) and I think they have a pretty good rapport with each other, and mutual respect) in spite of the fact that there were some obvious problems that led to this. When you have people you have politics. When you have organizations you have more politics. Let's hope it all works our for the best and the right decisions are made for the athletes and the future of USAW wrestling.

Patricia is a bit like the energizer bunny. She just keeps going and going and going...

I believe the area where most people are having problems was with the Russian guy helping them coach. Can't remember his name though. Levi was Randi Miller's coach along with several other of the females.

Anyways, I'm at Riverside HS in OR, where Levi graduated from. I worked under his father for 4 yrs.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »
[doHTML]<embed src="http://www.flowrestling.org/assets/portal/add_ons/mediaplayer-4.2/player.swf" width="480" height="330" bgcolor="#" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="&image=http://s3.amazonaws.com/flocasts-user-videos-images/46995_DontBreakYourself_1239356570873_l.jpg&logo=http://www.flowrestling.org/assets/portal/simple30/images/video_overlays/flowrestling-290.png&file=http://s3.amazonaws.com/flocasts-user-videos/46995_DontBreakYourself_1239356570873.flv&frontcolor=000000&lightcolor=cc9900&controlbar=over&stretching=fill" />[/doHTML]

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:45:39 AM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"

I believe the area where most people are having problems was with the Russian guy helping them coach. Can't remember his name though. Levi was Randi Miller's coach along with several other of the females.

Anyways, I'm at Riverside HS in OR, where Levi graduated from. I worked under his father for 4 yrs.
You're referring to Izzy who I think is an excellent coach. They have made some changes as well bringing a young woman in to help. That's a good move. Actually I think there were some problems with having Levi coach his wife. That's understandable as others felt they were not getting equal time.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 06:55:16 AM »

You're referring to Izzy who I think is an excellent coach. They have made some changes as well bringing a young woman in to help. That's a good move. Actually I think there were some problems with having Levi coach his wife. That's understandable as others felt they were not getting equal time.
I know Izzy knows his wrestling but from what I have heard very few of the wrestlers like him.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »
Quote from: "Viratas"

I know Izzy knows his wrestling but from what I have heard very few of the wrestlers like him.
They're probably anglophile's.  ;)

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
yea you have to watch out for those  :lol:
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"

That was what I had heard as well. Not just from Patricia but from about 10 other female wrestlers. Last yr at Nationals, I believe Levi ended up coaching about 6-8 girls there.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
I gotta tell you, Izzy knows his pizza and cinnamon rolls!  How's that for knowing what Izzy knows.

mspart
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mspart »

Offline Touchfall

• Novice
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:57:09 AM »
Patricia will be on the World Team if she wins again in May. Even if the organization is against her or not. I think she will win without too much trouble.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Touchfall »

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
Quote from: "mspart"
I gotta tell you, Izzy knows his pizza and cinnamon rolls!  How's that for knowing what Izzy knows.

mspart
LOL. That he does.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
Quote from: "Touchfall"
Patricia will be on the World Team if she wins again in May. Even if the organization is against her or not. I think she will win without too much trouble.
I hope so too. Too much politics involved with our wrestling.