Author Topic: Fantasy 2012 talk (#1 PICK)  (Read 5119 times)

Offline irishawk5

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy 2012 talk (#1 PICK)
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:25 AM »
I would have to go with McDonough also.  He really got tough on top last year and racked up the bonus points and pins over his frosh year.

The only 2 losses of his career have both graduated and he is going to be favored for bonus points in almost every match this coming season. 

Iowa does wrestle a few less matches than most other teams which could set him back a little bit, but he's also never been a guy to miss matches (whether it be injury, rest, etc). 

Taylor and Oliver both could easily put up numbers that rival or surpass McDonough.  I just think his consistency, dominance, and lack of challenge come NCAA's makes him too hard to pass up with the #1 pick.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »
I think a pick that won't be bad if he stays at 157 is DSJ certainly not in the first few rounds, but from the Midlands on he seemed to get it together.  1. has to be McBono he can Bonus EVERYONE at his weight period!
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
I keep seeing that JO is going to have a tough schedule this  year.  Who? From your AA picks on the TWT he will wrestle Ramos (likely twice in season), Thorn and maybe Surber.  Maybe Steiber if he is actually wrestling which there seems to be some question about.  Then whoever he has at nationals.  Do you really think he won't punk all of these guys at least as badly as McD does his slate?  This was a concern last year as well since the only top 10 guys he wrestled all year were Hoch and Carter.  In the end it didn't matter much obviously.

You're misunderstanding.

His schedule will not be "bad" in the sense that he will be challenged a lot.  It is "bad" because Okey st. doesn't wrestle very much compared to Iowa and PSU.  For that reason, JO is less desirable.  He's still a phenomenal option as he will win lots by bonus and won't lose, but his lack of scoring opportunities knocks him down. 
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »
From your earlier post, "and the competition he wrestles is tough, not many cupcakes."

Since the All Star match counts, JO ended up with one more match than McD.  30-0 vs 27-2. 

OSU has 5 competition dates unaccounted for including a two day event that would count as one.  Even if everyone they wrestled last season is on the schedule they could still attend a tournament.  I'm hoping for Scuffle, but will take even Reno. 
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
You have to also look at how many matches the guys will get.

McD is a great prospect for a few reasons: Should be relatively unchallenged, and is a pinner.  His schedule is lacking in matches and this sets him back

JO is a good option:  Bonuses at a really high rate, but the thing that makes him less desirable is his poor schedule.  Okey St. doesn't wrestle much and the competition he wrestles is tough, not many cupcakes.

DT in my opinion is the best overall prospect.  Great combination of bonus points and lots of scored matches.  Nittany Lion Open, Scuffle and a lot of duals will probably make him the highest scorer in fantasy barring injury.

In my opinion all three of these guys are equal favorites to win titles in their weights and will all 3 be hodge candidates.

All the reasons you list about schedule is exactly why I think its simply stupid not to use every match a guy wrestles.

Its like in the NFL if someone plays the Seahawks you can not count it.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

crablegs

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 01:32:06 PM »
The problem is that everyone in the NFL is still in the NFL.  Most of the wrestlers at the Loras open, are 2nd and 3rd string D3 and NAIA guys.  Should winning 4 matches at that tourny really be the same as winning 4 at the Scuffle?

Scoring the tournaments differently is exactly what the NCAA does when considering qualifier allocations.  They don't count matches against lower divisions for a reason.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:33:08 PM by crablegs »

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »
You have to also look at how many matches the guys will get.

McD is a great prospect for a few reasons: Should be relatively unchallenged, and is a pinner.  His schedule is lacking in matches and this sets him back

JO is a good option:  Bonuses at a really high rate, but the thing that makes him less desirable is his poor schedule.  Okey St. doesn't wrestle much and the competition he wrestles is tough, not many cupcakes.

DT in my opinion is the best overall prospect.  Great combination of bonus points and lots of scored matches.  Nittany Lion Open, Scuffle and a lot of duals will probably make him the highest scorer in fantasy barring injury.

In my opinion all three of these guys are equal favorites to win titles in their weights and will all 3 be hodge candidates.

All the reasons you list about schedule is exactly why I think its simply stupid not to use every match a guy wrestles.

Its like in the NFL if someone plays the Seahawks you can not count it.

Except the Patriots play the Seahawks, not Northwestern. 

Counting d2, d3 and naia matches is silly.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
Well we don't have to worry about it. The voting is done and you guys have decided to leave it as is.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Drooke

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 10:38:32 PM »
Awwww......I am jonesin' for the draft...I see both of TWT's leagues have started drafting!

Drooke

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
I think it is awesome that both leagues are using TOM's Top 20 for the draft.  That is about the best endorsement a ranking can get...when fantasy sites not affiliated to TOM use the rankings!  That means it has been judged by wrestling junkies as the best of the best!

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 11:45:01 AM »
well they finally realized what we've known all along
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer