Author Topic: Rule changes?  (Read 7497 times)

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Rule changes?
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:51:57 PM »
Please post any modifications you would like to see in the rules. This can be on any rule, scoring, drafting, trades, etc. This is not where we wull vote on any changes, just trying to get ideas on what you guys want.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline Gage

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Rule changes?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
im in the league
One's best success comes after their greatest disappointments.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
For reference:

ALL WEEKLY LINEUPS ARE DUE MIDNIGHT CENTRAL TIME THURSDAY.

The Basics
1. 15 wrestlers per team. You'll start 11 wrestlers per week, one guy at each weight from 125-285 and then a "flex" guy from any weight you choose who will be eligible to score points at whatever weight he wrestles.

2. There isn't going to be head to head during the regular season. The standings will go strictly by total points scored.

The regular season will run up through Conferences. After Conferences the 4 highest scoring teams will advance to the finals during NCAA's, and we're also going to take two wild cards this year.

These wild cards will be the two highest scoring teams during Conference week that wouldn't already be going to the next round anyway. Come NCAA's I'll wipe the scores clean and it'll be a 6 way scramble for the championship.

3. 3 points for a win by decision, 4 for a major, 5 for a tech with back's and 6 for a pin. Same as we've done the last two years.

4. All dual meets count for points. Other events that will count for points will be the All Star Match, Hokie Open, Kauffman Brand Open, Las Vegas, Reno, Midlands, Scuffle, Penn State Open, Michigan State Open, NC State Open, Body Bar Invitational, Navy Classic, Brockport tournament, the EMU Open, the Binghamton Open, PSACS, NY Interscholastics and the Missouri open.

5. Wrestlers who win the Vegas, Reno, Midlands and Scuffle tournaments will get a ten point bonus added to their scores. Wrestlers who finish second in those tournaments will get five bonus points.

6. Wrestlers who win the Big 10 and Big 12 tournaments will get 16 bonus points added to their scores, those finishing second in these two tournaments will get 12 bonus points. The guys who win OW at those tournaments will also get 5 bonus points. All other conferences will have bonuses of 12 points for a championship and 8 points for a second.

7. Trades are permitted, free agency is not. We'll have a trading deadline this year of 2/17.

8. Supplemental will be back during the holiday weekend in its 3 round format.

New Rules/Changes
1. Keeper Rule: You keep a guy from last season, he counts as your first round draft choice.

2. We're eliminating the rule where you don't get points if your wrestler bumps up a weight in a dual. If your wrestler wrestles in a dual and wins you get his points.

However if your wrestler bumps up and loses but his back up wins you don't get the back ups points.

The rule from last year where if your wrestler doesn't wrestle and his back up wins will stay the same. You will get those points just as long as someone else doesn't have the back up.

3. Back Ups will be eligible for tournaments this year. The difference between tournaments and duals however will be that in tournaments to get points from a back up you will have to specifically declare that back up in your line up for the week.

4. If your wrestler beats a guy in the TOM Top 20 at a tournament that we don't score you'll get points for that.

5. If you trade a guy away, but then for some reason want him back you'll have to wait three weeks before you're able to trade back for him.

6. NCAA's will deviate from normal scoring. We will use official tournament scoring there, not the scoring used during the regular season. All other tournaments will continue to be scored in the 3/4/5/6 format.

My thoughts - Unless Reno is tougher this year, it shouldn't include bonus for winning or getting second.  OW at CKLV, Midlands and Scuffle should come with bonus like conference tournaments. 
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »
I'm not the largest fan of counting every match wrestled.  Here's the issue I have...let's say that McBono's backup is westling at the Spartan Open unattached on some weekend McBono has off.  Now I know ahead of time that this will be the case SO I name the backup my starter and get to count his points for  trouncing redshirts at a no-name tournament.  there are tournaments that include fields of one or maybe two competitive weights (seemingly mostly on the the East Coast) and not everyone is gonna know who or the what to pick for them.  I'm not brightest to search each and every team out there to see who I should draft because they're going to the bumf@ck tournament and will be one of only 3 DI teams there.  just the humble opinion of a less than stellar player who does his best to keep up with the whole thing.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

crablegs

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:07 PM »
I'm with Bryce we should keep the scoring tournaments to the tougher ones.  Just need to do a little research prior to the draft. 

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
in the NAIA to have a tournament count as a "qualifier" for a spot at Nationals (or at least for it to use to count) you had to finish in the top percent of the attached wrestlers there given a certain number of teams.  so I'm fine with counting a guys win a tournament IF there are a certain number of schools there with attached wrestlers from DI or a certain number of guys ranked in the top 20??? or so in his bracket.  all wins over DI opponets should count regardless of where/when they happen

Drooke

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
The" wresling for a change" duals looks like a great weekend.

Offline TehGratest

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:10:07 AM »
in the NAIA to have a tournament count as a "qualifier" for a spot at Nationals (or at least for it to use to count) you had to finish in the top percent of the attached wrestlers there given a certain number of teams.  so I'm fine with counting a guys win a tournament IF there are a certain number of schools there with attached wrestlers from DI or a certain number of guys ranked in the top 20??? or so in his bracket.  all wins over DI opponets should count regardless of where/when they happen

What constitutes D1?  Anybody on a D1 roster?  Normally the 3rd or 4th stringers get sent to the crappy opens.  I don't think getting wins over Cleveland State's 3rd string guys is really in the spirit of competition.

Just playing devils advocate.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »
Here are the preliminary rules going into next season. As you can see, I did not change to scoring all tournaments. We have some that want it and some that don't, so this season we will go with the way it has been. Also, I dropped the point value for the champ and runner up at the Big 12 tournament. I did this because it is a 4 team tournament, and I can not give the same bonus to someone who wins two matches to win a tournament compared to the guys that have to grind through the Big 10 tournament. If you have an issue with this, let me know. It won't change anything, but you can speak your peace.

If there aren't any major arguments about the rules as they are written, this is what we will go with. I am going to get a new child board set up for the league. Be looking for the info on the draft there soon. I am looking forward to a good league with everyone staying on top of their line-ups the whole way through the season. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know.

ALL WEEKLY LINEUPS ARE DUE MIDNIGHT CENTRAL TIME THURSDAY.

The Basics
1. 15 wrestlers per team. You'll start 11 wrestlers per week, one guy at each weight from 125-285 and then a "flex" guy from any weight you choose who will be eligible to score points at whatever weight he wrestles.

2. There isn't going to be head to head during the regular season. The standings will go strictly by total points scored.

The regular season will run up through Conferences. After Conferences the 4 highest scoring teams will advance to the finals during NCAA's, along with two wild cards teams.

These wild cards will be the two highest scoring teams during Conference week that wouldn't already be going to the next round anyway. Come NCAA's I'll wipe the scores clean and it'll be a 6 way scramble for the championship.

3. 3 points for a win by decision, 4 for a major, 5 for a tech with back's and 6 for a pin.

4. All dual meets count for points. Other events that will count for points will be the All Star Match, Hokie Open, Kauffman Brand Open, Las Vegas, Reno, Midlands, Scuffle, Penn State Open, Michigan State Open, NC State Open, Body Bar Invitational, Navy Classic, Brockport tournament, the EMU Open, the Binghamton Open, PSACS, NY Interscholastics, the Keystone Classic, and the Missouri open.

5. Wrestlers who win the Vegas, Reno, Midlands and Scuffle tournaments will get a ten point bonus added to their scores. Wrestlers who finish second in those tournaments will get five bonus points. OW for these tournaments will get 5 bonus points.

6. Conference scoring will be as such:

Big 10  16-1st/ 12-2nd

Big 12  12-1st/ 8-2nd

All others 10-1st/ 6-2nd
The guys who win OW at those tournaments will also get 5 bonus points.

7. Trades are permitted, free agency is not. We'll have a trading deadline this year of 2/16.

8. Supplemental draft will be back during the holiday weekend in its 3 round format. NEW MODIFICATION: The first pick in the supplemental draft will not cost you a current roster spot. The 2nd and 3rd pick, if you take it, will cost you a wrestler off of your current roster.
9.  If your wrestler wrestles in a dual at a different weight and wins you get his points.

However if your wrestler bumps up and loses but his back up wins you don't get the back ups points.

The rule from last year where if your wrestler doesn't wrestle and his back up wins will stay the same. You will get those points just as long as someone else doesn't have the back up.

10. Back Up rule: The difference between tournaments and duals  will be that in tournaments to get points from a back up you will have to specifically declare that back up in your line up for the week.

11. If your wrestler beats a guy in the TOM Top 20 at a tournament that we don't score you'll get points for that.

12. If you trade a guy away, but then for some reason want him back you'll have to wait three weeks before you're able to trade back for him.

6. NCAA's will deviate from normal scoring. We will use official tournament scoring there, not the scoring used during the regular season. All other tournaments will continue to be scored in the 3/4/5/6 format.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:07:17 PM by AKIN »

Offline TehGratest

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »
One thing to consider about the Big 12:  Yes, it is a 4 team conference and doesn't match the rigor of the Big 10 or EIWA.  However, the points that will be awarded will be so minuscule and make drafting Big 12 guys an even larger liability.  Big 12 teams typically have limited schedules as it is.  Only wrestling 2 matches at Conference is a distinct disadvantage given the typical quality of opponent.  SoCon or East Regional scrubs get more matches against inferior competition, yet are awarded more handsomely?  This doesn't seem logical to me.

Drooke

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 11:04:43 PM »
I would like to open up the discussion on the supplemental draft. I would like to have an extra add with no drop. Basically adding one number to our existing roster for the rest of the season. What say all of you?

Also I think the bonus should stay the same for Big 12 champions...they are missing out on the opportunity to pick up regular points that the big ten champs will due to the number of matches they actually wrestle.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
I stand with Akin on the Big 12.  they're basically wrestling a freaking triangular.  no way they deserve the same bonus as someone who comes out of the Big 10.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
I would like to open up the discussion on the supplemental draft. I would like to have an extra add with no drop. Basically adding one number to our existing roster for the rest of the season. What say all of you?

Also I think the bonus should stay the same for Big 12 champions...they are missing out on the opportunity to pick up regular points that the big ten champs will due to the number of matches they actually wrestle.

I had forgotten the Supp. draft thing. I actually like the idea of not having to drop someone to pick another one up. I would say that you could pick up one extra without having to drop, but anymore than that, you would have to drop one.

The fact that they don't have thay many matches is the exact reason I think they should not have the same bonus. Why should a guy that wrestles two matches to win conference get the same bonus as someone who wrestles a grinder like the Big 10? The bonus to me is because you won a tough tournament, not too make up for lack of matches in the tournament. If that was the logic for the bonus, than the Big 10 would have less bonus than the other conference tournaments.

Offline TehGratest

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:18:28 PM »

The fact that they don't have thay many matches is the exact reason I think they should not have the same bonus. Why should a guy that wrestles two matches to win conference get the same bonus as someone who wrestles a grinder like the Big 10? The bonus to me is because you won a tough tournament, not too make up for lack of matches in the tournament. If that was the logic for the bonus, than the Big 10 would have less bonus than the other conference tournaments.
By the same token why should someone who wins the East Regional or So Con get the same as Big 12?  They very rarely have guys even ranked, much less competition between ranked wrestlers.

Big 12 is competitive at all weights every season.  It's still a very hard conference to win(Probably the 3rd toughest)

Last year they only had 5, so what's really different?  There were lots of conference champs who only wrestled 2 matches, so for most scenarios it's the exact same amount of matches. 

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
At the Big 10s last year 13 of the 20 finalists had 3 matches.  Other than the extra weigh in, I'm not sure the grind is all of that increased.

As TehGreatest said, the lack of a grind was equally true last year at the Big 12 but no one seemed to have that much trouble with it.  Only 1 finalist, Klingsheim came from the pigtail and wrestled 3 matches there.  The rest wrestled two, the exact same number they will wrestle this year.  If these one or two matches make that much of a difference, then why not allow the EIWA champs to have that extra bonus? Their finalists generally have the same matches as the B10.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt