Poll

Are you a dog person or cat person or are you bipetual? Or do you hate them?

DOGS! Brains and loyalty cant be beat
CATS! Low maintenance and mouse free homes
DOGS & CATS! I just cant say no and besides its fun to watch em fight
ANIMALS: They stink and belong on a farm

Author Topic: Dog or Cat person  (Read 6800 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Dog or Cat person
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
Which are you?

Tell us your furry friend's name and why you chose them and not the other.... or choose both... or why you hate animals.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

StephanVonVesthell

Re: Dog or Cat person
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
Jeraldine McCracken and Prince Henry Stout.  Cats.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Addie... Jack Russell Terrorist

My superball with fur and fangs.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
I've met some pretty stupid dogs....can't say the same for cats. 
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
EVERYONE knows dogs are smarter than cats... some just wont admit it.

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
EVERYONE knows dogs are smarter than cats... some just wont admit it.

What are we using to guage smartness?  Is it every dog, or just some breeds?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
Relative intelligence of different animal species

People have always viewed some animals as more intelligent than others: in European cultures, dogs, horses, great apes and (more recently) dolphins and parrots are seen as intelligent in ways that other animals are not. Crows have been attributed with humanlike intelligence by almost every culture that has encountered them. A number of recent survey studies have demonstrated the consistency of these rankings between people in a given culture. A common image is the scala naturae, the ladder of nature on which animals of different species occupy successively higher rungs, with humans typically at the top. Comparative psychologists have sought in vain for ways of providing an objective underpinning for these essentially subjective and anthropocentric judgements. Part of the difficulty is the lack of agreement about what we mean by intelligence even in humans (it obviously makes a big difference whether language is considered as essential for intelligence, for example). But in any case, different animals (including humans) seem to have different kinds of cognitive processes, which are better understood in terms of the ways in which they are cognitively adapted to their different ecological niches, than by positing any kind of hierarchy. One question that can be asked coherently is how far different species are intelligent in the same ways as humans are, i.e. are their cognitive processes similar to ours. Not surprisingly, our closest biological relatives, the great apes, tend to do best on such an assessment. It is less clear that the species traditionally held to be intelligent do unusually well against this standard, though among the birds, corvids and parrots typically are found to outperform other groups, and among the carnivores, dogs generally show better performance than cats. Despite ambitious claims, evidence of unusually high human-like intelligence among cetaceans is patchy, partly because the cost and difficulty of carrying out research with marine mammals mean that experiments frequently suffer from small sample sizes and inadequate controls and replication. Octopuses also exhibit many seemingly higher-level problem-solving skills.

Most Intelligent Animals on Earth

Great apes (including Humans)
New World monkeys
Dolphin & Whales
Dogs
Octopi
Birds, specifically Ravens and Crows.
Horses
http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/animal-intelligence.htm

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:13 AM »
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »
Like Vice, I too have a JRT:

Story goes like this:

My wife was looking on craigslist for a dog to adopt.  We found one for an 8-yo JRT named Burger.  We emailed the number attached.  The perosn who was putting him up for adoption stated that he has already had 3 families and has a lot of "baggage".  So, she told us that she would drop the dog over to our place on Friday after work for a test drive.  She would them stop by again that Sunday afternoon to check in on him and take him back home if things didn't work out.

So, she arrived with the dog on Friday afternoon......and never came back.  Therefore, we adopted him by default.

He is loyal to a fault (I'll let you figure out what that means on your own) but we have had him for five years now.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
I hate cats
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »
Like Vice, I too have a JRT:

Story goes like this:

My wife was looking on craigslist for a dog to adopt.  We found one for an 8-yo JRT named Burger.  We emailed the number attached.  The perosn who was putting him up for adoption stated that he has already had 3 families and has a lot of "baggage".  So, she told us that she would drop the dog over to our place on Friday after work for a test drive.  She would them stop by again that Sunday afternoon to check in on him and take him back home if things didn't work out.

So, she arrived with the dog on Friday afternoon......and never came back.  Therefore, we adopted him by default.

He is loyal to a fault (I'll let you figure out what that means on your own) but we have had him for five years now.

I have never had a dog like Addie. And I understand EXACTLY what you are saying there. But I have also never had a more affectionate dog n my life... nor as tenacious... nor as stubborn... nor as hyper.

Does yours pant when he's happy?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »

StephanVonVesthell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile