Author Topic: Cael's draw  (Read 1850 times)

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Cael's draw
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
From Pat Tocci's FB:

"Interesting draw for Cael at the worlds with the world bronze medalist and past two world champs on his side of bracket."

It is a randow draw, right???
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: Cael's draw
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »
No easy draws at this level.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline fulsaasfan

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
I don't think that it is going to matter. I think that Sanderson beats whoever is put in front of him and wins the World Championship.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
Look...by simple arithmetic, as many as two-thirds of the wrestlers are going to be in the same side of the draw, based on the number of wrestlers.

Fact is, what FILA does to their competitions is awful, in terms of integrity of the competition on-mat, in terms of the integrity of the brackets, and in terms of integrity of the governing body.

Can somebody please vote for Jason Bryant next time the FILA presidency comes up for a vote?

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
How about not even deal with FILA at all and start a north American org and fck the rest of the world. If it's solid, others will follow.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:51:22 AM »
They wouldn't follow .. there isn't enough money. Some of these federations don't think rationally about the wrestling, just what they can get something from someone.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
Cael won his first match 6-0, 7-0.
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline Snackem

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Looks like Cael lost his second match, and now needs Sharifov of Azerbaijan to make the finals.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
Cael loses in the bronze match and takes 5th.

crablegs

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
Just watched Cael's bronze match, and from just one match it appears that he may have troubles in the clinch even from the offensive position.  He is just not the kind of guy that can drive through and finish quickly.  He is a more methodical shot finisher that typically finishes from the knees and with a lock below the opponents knees.  Maybe I am making to much out of it because we know Saritov is a great counter wrestler.  Anyone else notice this?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
Just watched Cael's bronze match, and from just one match it appears that he may have troubles in the clinch even from the offensive position.  He is just not the kind of guy that can drive through and finish quickly.  He is a more methodical shot finisher that typically finishes from the knees and with a lock below the opponents knees.  Maybe I am making to much out of it because we know Saritov is a great counter wrestler.  Anyone else notice this?

Crabby,

I agree.  There were two matches where his opponent would not allow him to shoot.  They have scouted Cael and have found an effective counter to his single.  The AZE and RUS are the two  matches I saw.  The other thing I saw is that he is slow.  With one of those guys on all fours and Cael on him in front, he could have easily spun around and gotten the TD.  He tried but he looked like he was moving through 90 weight oil rather than air.  He just looked real slow in reaction time too. 

He was in there and proved that getting to the bronze medal match.  He didn't do as well as many expected but probably did as well as he could have.   If he had broken the RUS down at the end instead of bringing him back on himself, that match would have gone a 3rd period and he may have won.  After 7 years and getting that close to the bronze, that's pretty good.  However, he needs to work on another go to takedown.  It is obvious he has been scouted and he cannot pull that off anymore, every time.  Perhaps a front head lock that if it didn't work could be a set up for his single.  Anyway.  It was a good day yesterday and with Burroughs in the final and Dlagnev in the Bronze match, not a bad two days for us. 

mspart

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
MS, I agree. I felt like he should have secured front head position, or got the chin and elbow and jerked him forward before going. His length should allow him to get to that ankle a bit easier than most could.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.