Author Topic: Last Word  (Read 3648149 times)

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Last Word
« Reply #84225 on: July 14, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a dirty job and larger than I am willing to take on. Call me lazy.

Have a great day word!
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #84226 on: July 14, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
You hang in there, Lazy.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #84227 on: July 14, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »
My grandfather was a lather.  I just cant imagine nailing up all of those slats and then laying up all of that mud, usually 3 coats.  The effort that takes to create a wall is just incredible and these guys were doing the entire house, ceilings and closets....and no power nail guns.

We had to remove a ceiling in my daughters first hoe since it was separating from the joists.  You cant move fast enough to avoid chunks falling on your arms.  After it was all out we spent another couple of hours hammering the lath nails in, which we should have pulled.  We kept bumping off the nail heads when laying up the gypsum with screws.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84228 on: July 15, 2019, 08:24:55 AM »
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine doing all of the plaster and lathe in big old houses without power tools. They were definitely masters of the trade.
I tore out all of the downstairs 2 years ago and  put up drywall. we did pull all of the nails. It took me about 3 months of doing it mostly on weekends. I do not have the time or desire to do that again. Found a crew willing to do it and I am willing to pay them to do it.

Have an incredible day word!
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Snackem

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #84229 on: July 15, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »
The house we live in has a hand dug basement.  It was put in the 1930's using grain belts to move the dirt from under the house and they dug it out.  I can't imagine doing that much digging.  I remind myself of that every time I hit my head on something down there.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84230 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
My father-in-law was a digging fool.  He could make a trench faster than than anyone I know.  By hand no less.  I sure miss him for that and lots of other things word

mspart

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84231 on: July 16, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dug in new drain tiles last year. That probably won't ever happen again either. I would rather pay someone else. Keep driving the economy.

Have a terrific day word!

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84232 on: July 16, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »

Look familiar word?

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84233 on: July 16, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »
Many moons ago I dug about 150’ of tench for drainpipes. I didn’t realize the benefit before I started but I waited until the April rain stopped and the ground was saturated. The spade just sliced through the mud.

My back couldn’t handle that these days.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84234 on: July 16, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
I wish I had that problem.  My dirt is on top of an old glacier field.  I have river rocks (large, very large, and small) all over my yard about 4-12 inches deep.  Impossible to dig through.  If I had just dirt to dig, that would be awesome!!   Even with a trencher, it was impossible to dig a proper trench for the wiring and water for the tiny house we are building.  As a  result, they are not very deep in places.  They are PVC'd in the shallower places. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84235 on: July 16, 2019, 08:47:28 PM »
About 4" down I was into solid white clay.  I had to separate the clay and use it first when backfilling. It was a 6" PVC pipe so I had a lot of clay left over.  The clay is what left the topsoil so saturated, no drainage.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84236 on: July 17, 2019, 05:26:52 AM »
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of this work discussion makes me hungry. Wing Wednesday at Jethro's. Pound of wings for 6 bucks.

Have a wonderful day word!

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84237 on: July 17, 2019, 07:14:16 AM »
So much effort for so little.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84238 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »
You know, when we lived in Hawaii on Oahu, we bought a newly built house.  There was no yard, just the red clay of Hawaii.  And it is hard.  So I tried to trench a water sprinkler system by hand and quickly turned to a rental trencher.  That was much easier but the trencher broke just as I was about to finish up.   The dirt actually broke the trencher.  I couldn't believe it word

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #84239 on: July 17, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
Not good turf for grass.

Busted the triple digit mark today....101F....yes, toasty.  Some rain tomorrow and them a blistering hot weekend.  No different than the days growing up, except now I have indoor AC.