Author Topic: Last Word  (Read 6203843 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Last Word
« Reply #87060 on: January 10, 2022, 12:31:59 PM »
You is prepared word

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #87061 on: January 10, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
43F and rain yesterday.  Most snow is gone except for remnants of shovel piles.  27F today, but it was a sunny 27F.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87062 on: January 10, 2022, 06:14:05 PM »
I don't miss the changing of the seasons.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87063 on: January 10, 2022, 07:19:46 PM »
I lived in HI for 4 years and loved the change of the seasons.   Sunny and then sunny word.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87064 on: January 10, 2022, 08:16:59 PM »
Yeah I could handle watching palm trees sway year round

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87065 on: January 11, 2022, 12:41:42 AM »
I lived in HI for 4 years and loved the change of the seasons.   Sunny and then sunny word.

mspart

Have they figured out yet which other state the interstate highway connects to?

We honeymooned on Oahu and the Big Island in 1988 and vacationed a couple of years later on Kauai and Maui. 

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87066 on: January 11, 2022, 06:30:42 AM »
Oahu and Maui X2, first for the honeymoon, 2nd with the kids

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87067 on: January 11, 2022, 12:49:32 PM »
Have they figured out yet which other state the interstate highway connects to?

We honeymooned on Oahu and the Big Island in 1988 and vacationed a couple of years later on Kauai and Maui.

The interstates are called H1, H2, H3, and H201.  Interestingly enough, there is no bridge that uses these road between islands. 

You need to go to Molokai and Lanai next.  Been to the first, not to the last.  Molokai is a real quiet place.  I loved it but was on a exclusive beach reserved for locals.  The story behind that is long so I won't go into it.  But Oahu, primarily has the best beaches, Big Island has the best snorkeling, Kauai has the best atmosphere in general.  Maui is cool with the volcano.  I recommend a visit to all the islands word.

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87068 on: January 11, 2022, 02:11:17 PM »
I looked at it as Oahu was the big city, was the most touristy and had the most night life.  I vaguely remember the Big Island as having an active volcano when we went there, but I could be confused.  My wife really enjoyed Hanauma Bay.  She's a terrible swimmer (who has since learned to SCUBA dive) and was happy that the water was only wist deep.  I was snorkeling and asked if she wanted to borrow my mask so she could see the tropical fish.  She said she could see the fish, so I asked her if she saw the ones swimming between her legs.  'No".   I lent her my mask and the next thing I heard was, "LOOK AT ALL THE PRETTY FISHIES!!".

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87069 on: January 11, 2022, 04:37:48 PM »
Great story.  Yeah, the Big Island has Kilauea volcano and it has been erupting continuously for years. 

Hanauma is a stellar snorkeling site, but way to touristy anymore.   Big Island has better and more accessible snorkeling. 

My wife learned to snorkel on the Big Island.  She hated fish swimming around her but I told her she just had to see this.  It was incredible!  Thousands of fish everywhere of all shapes and sizes.  She was hooked after that word.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87070 on: January 12, 2022, 07:03:16 AM »
We did the volcano on Maui with the kids.  We rented bikes that dropped us off at the rim.  We hiked in and had lunch, then rode down back to the bike shop.  I snorkeled Kaanapali and got so caught up in I ended up about a quarter mile offshore.  Realizing I had just made myself shark bait, I ducked my head back under and headed back to the beach.  I had a school of fish with spiked heads follow me in.  Yeah, it was like swimming inside a tropical fish tank at a pet store.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87071 on: January 12, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »
Snorkeling and fishing are better there now since tourism has been down for the last few years word. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87072 on: January 12, 2022, 12:55:25 PM »
My wife and I did one of those time share outfit tours just to get the free coupons.  One was a half day charter, so I took the 2 boys.  I caught a small 50 lb Yellowfin, the youngest got a small 50 lb bluefin and the eldest got a nice Mahi.  We expected to have a nice dinner.  We got back to the dock, took some photos with the captain and the fish. We expected to walk away with the fish......Not so fast, the boat keeps the fish.  That killed us. If we had known, we would have pushed to release the fish. 

The boat that had 2 others on board.  There were only 4 rods so every hour the captain rotated rods with 1 person sitting out.  Each of us caught fish, the other 2 got skunked. 

That timeshare tour was well worth it.  free snorkeling equipment for the week for all of us and snorkeling trip. 5 parasailing rides. Half off dinners.  Luau for 5. We gave my daughter a coupon for a free oyster, and it had a pearl in it that we had mounted when we got home. In all we probably saved a thou, easy.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87073 on: January 12, 2022, 03:17:28 PM »
Yep.   We have done that and gotten good results.  You just have to sit through all the hard selling for hours.  They say 90 minutes, it turns into 3 hours or more.  But they do give the stuff and it's not bad.  We went to Cabo and got 3 days of "all iinclusive" which was nice.  We got a whale watching trip, we got skunked so that turned into a swim with and pet the dolphins.  We also got free camel rides.  It saved us a lot of money if we had purchased them ourselves.    In addition I did some scuba after not having done it forever and it was great.  Word

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #87074 on: January 13, 2022, 05:18:42 AM »
If I recall it was about a Gilligan 2 hour tour.  At the end when it came to the sell, I told them we've got 3 teens eying college and right now is not a good time to commit.  The sales gal backed off and we left with our bag of goodies.  The mountain bike rentals and volcano tour was also one of the gifts.