Author Topic: Last Word  (Read 4320485 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Last Word
« Reply #85515 on: August 03, 2020, 11:40:17 AM »
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No AC needed word

AC is a necessity.  Word.

One of these is correct. Shame on you mspart.

Have a great day word!

I was speaking of where I live.  A great majority of the households in the Seattle area do not have AC, because it is only needed about 5-10 days of the year.  Even when it hit the 90's early last week, it cooled down greatly.  Now we do have fans in the house, screens on the doors, but no AC.  We have been quite comfy.  When we lived in Apple Valley, MN, we were grateful for our AC. 

When we lived in Hawaii, we did not, but we had the great blessing of having the trade winds barreling through our house.  No need.  We visited that house recently and a subsequent weak and worthless home owner put AC in. 

I am not against AC, just not sure why I want it when it is not needed word.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #85516 on: August 04, 2020, 06:46:08 AM »
Lots and lots of tropical rain today.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85517 on: August 04, 2020, 07:02:02 AM »
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning RYou and everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gorgeous day yesterday. Another on tap today. Sun and 73F.

Have a tremendous day word!
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85518 on: August 04, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
Basically will be the same here word

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85519 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
3" of rain since 9:30 AM, and its still heavy.  The swirling eye is overhead.  The wind isn't too bad though.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85520 on: August 04, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »
Sunny and dry for a change word

mspart

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85521 on: August 05, 2020, 06:21:15 AM »
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The beautiful weather continues.

Have a wonderful day word!
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85522 on: August 05, 2020, 07:43:53 AM »
SO much for the mild wind. Soon after the tailwind of the storm ravaged the state. We lost cable service in the early afternoon and it remains so I’m relegated to using the phone. Our little area has power but everyone around us is out. All three kids are running off generators. Son in-law forgot to turn off the AC and the generac shutdown. It took us 2 hours to figure how to override the shutdown. Word is upwards of a 3 day outage for the areas with less dense population. Ended up starting a jigsaw puzzle with the wife until we couldn’t take it anymore.

I couldn’t even use cell service yesterday due the overload. I’ll probably lose it again for most of today.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85523 on: August 05, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
Yeah, AC is a deal breaker with most generators.  We lost power last night about 4:00 am, got it back before 7:00.  I don't know why it went out.  Maybe it was sympathy pains for my brethren out east word.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85524 on: August 05, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »
28 power lines down in town. This could la
St through the weekend. I can only charge the phone in the car

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85525 on: August 05, 2020, 04:01:01 PM »
Just be glad it was only a strong tropical storm.  Full-blown hurricanes are much worse.

I wonder if COVID concerns will impact restoration time.

I wish you luck.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85526 on: August 05, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
No where near the number of downed trees and wires as Sandy but they are calling in out if state crews for repairs. The state utility commission wouldn’t let them bill the cost of Sandy back to the customer. It looks like this time they aren’t going to fund the expense.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85527 on: August 05, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »
I have a friend who has lived in both Berlin and Frankfurt.  He just can't understand why we still have above ground transmission lines.  Because where he lives and I live, we get power outages all the time.  I guess when they rebuilt they put stuff underground word.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85528 on: August 05, 2020, 08:40:20 PM »
All new construction is underground but to retrofit established communities would be a massive expense. When my son was renovating he had a couple contractors quite running his power from the pole on the street under ground to his home, about 100’. Cheapest was 1800.for a 1 day job.  The county electrical inspector wouldn’t  guaranty a same day inspection and would not permit power to flow until he inspected. He nixed the idea since the supply was still above ground.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #85529 on: August 05, 2020, 10:37:11 PM »
I have a friend who has lived in both Berlin and Frankfurt.  He just can't understand why we still have above ground transmission lines.  Because where he lives and I live, we get power outages all the time.  I guess when they rebuilt they put stuff underground word.

mspart

I think you mean distribution lines (typically 23 kv and below, with most in Florida at 13kv).  Very few places put transmission lines (69kv and above) below ground.  Transmission lines are normally of a more sturdy construction than distribution lines, since they affect far more customers.  (Think the difference between the Autobahn and a local road.)

Underground lines are much more expensive than overhead.  The biggest advantages they have are they won't normally be taken out by falling trees (unless the root system happens to be right there) or falling branches, and they aren't impacted by the wind.  Underground lines are also more asthetically pleasing.  Even though underground lines are much more reliable, they still have a few problems.  The first is if the pad-mounted transformer boxes are in the flood zone (or the storm surge).  After decades of use, the wires may deteriorate, and it is very difficult to locate the portion that failed, so if an underground line does fail, restoration times are usually longer.  And there is always the chance that someone doesn't call for locates before digging.  Seeing blue flame shoot up out of a hole is no fun!

The bottom line is that underground lines are generally more reliable, but much more expensive and are not a panacea in all circumstances.