Author Topic: A list of true scientists:  (Read 4388 times)

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: A list of true scientists:
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Your point that a list of scientist dissenting should be used to imply that it is 100% complete, and no one not on that agrees with those that are is valid but a list stating the opposite means something totally different. You can't get around how stupid you sound making that argument.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
Your point that a list of scientist dissenting should be used to imply that it is 100% complete, and no one not on that agrees with those that are is valid but a list stating the opposite means something totally different. You can't get around how stupid you sound making that argument.

I have made no such argument.  You look either completely stupid or incredibly dishonest  making the claim that I made such an argument.  Which is it drmusclehead are you stupid or are you simply dishonest.  Neither is a very nice trait but there really are no other alternatives because you can find no evidence that I made such an argument.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
Poor Mako, can't stand to find out that many scientists do not believe in evolution.  (I love the way you skew the facts  ;))

Only a nutcase like the crazy texas coach would consider 0.023 % of scientist many.  In the real world that is considered an infintesimal amount.
You are a horible liar. This quote says exactly that.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »
Poor Mako, can't stand to find out that many scientists do not believe in evolution.  (I love the way you skew the facts  ;))

Only a nutcase like the crazy texas coach would consider 0.023 % of scientist many.  In the real world that is considered an infinitesimal amount.
You are a horible liar. This quote says exactly that.

I have not lied, you showing that quote proves my point.    I made the statement that a list that shows that some 0.023% of scientist signed a poorly written statement that has serious flaws most certainly does not show that many scientist question or doubt evolution.  It shows that an infinitesimally small number are not bright enough to read a statement closely enough to not sign it.  Although I am certain the truth of the matter is they all let their religious indoctrination rule their signing of that document.

You lied by claiming I said no other scientist could have made the same mistake as those morons.  Trust me I believe that nearly 5% of all scientist are equally as moronic.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:20:40 PM by coachsparky »
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
I see we need clarification here. The list, which represents 0.023 % of all the world's scientists, is not intended as a comprehensive list of every scientist who questions evolutionary theory.
Is that simple enough for our understanding boys and girls?
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
I see we need clarification here. The list, which represents 0.023 % of all the world's scientists, is not intended as a comprehensive list of every scientist who questions evolutionary theory.

Glad you are trying to school drmusclehead for me cougar.  That is what I tried to point out to him, but his ignorance runs deep.  The actual number of "total" scientist that let their religion cloud the reasoning is somewhere close to 5% which is still an extremely small number.  And of course when you limit it to only scientist who are actually in the life sciences field it is down around that 0.2 percent so it is infintesimally small.

Oh and while your at it, you should also school the crazy texas coach into recognizing that a piece of paper with the signatures of an infintesimally small number of scientist that are willing to make fools of themselves by signing on to an extremely flawed statement does not mean that many scientist are equally as willing to make fools of themselves.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:57:29 PM by coachsparky »

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
I love this!! I don't even have to read the posts to know what's being said. Ray, you are sheer genius!
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Defections and disagreementsThe National Center for Science Education interviewed a sample of the signatories, and found that some were less critical of "Darwinism" than the advertisement claimed.[11][48] It wrote to all of them asking whether they thought living things shared common ancestors and whether humans and apes shared common ancestors. According to Eugenie Scott of the NCSE, a few of the signatories replied saying that they did accept these principles but did not think that natural selection could explain the origins of life. However, the replies ceased when, according to Scott, the Discovery Institute found out and advised signatories not to respond. She concluded from this that "at least some of the more knowledgeable scientists did not interpret this statement the way that it was intended [by the Discovery Institute] to be interpreted by the general public."[39]

For example, Stanley N. Salthe, a visiting scientist at Binghamton University, State University of New York, who signed but describes himself as an atheist, said that when he endorsed a petition he had no idea what the Discovery Institute was. Salthe stated, “I signed it in irritation”, and said that evolutionary biologists were being unfair in suppressing competing ideas. He said that "They deserve to be prodded, as it were. It was my way of thumbing my nose at them", but was unconvinced by intelligent design and concluded "From my point of view, it's a plague on both your houses".[12]

At least one signatory of A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism has abandoned the list, saying he felt misled. Robert C. Davidson, a Christian, scientist, doctor, and retired nephrology professor at the University of Washington medical school said after having signed he was shocked when he discovered that the Discovery Institute was calling evolution a "theory in crisis". "It's laughable: There have been millions of experiments over more than a century that support evolution," said Davidson. "There's always questions being asked about parts of the theory, as there are with any theory, but there's no real scientific controversy about it. ... When I joined I didn't think they were about bashing evolution. It's pseudo-science, at best. ... What they're doing is instigating a conflict between science and religion."[49]

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
Bill Nye the Science Guy isn't on there, so who cares.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »

No it isn't.  The incredibly dimwitted will not comprehend it.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »

No it isn't.  The incredibly dimwitted will not comprehend it.

Good description of yourself there crazy.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
I told you so.
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »
I told you so.

At least you astutely understand your own failings.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
Does this mean anything?

“Scientists ... often change their minds when they see new evidence. I was reminded of this a few months ago when I saw a survey in the journal 'Nature'. It revealed that 40% of American physicists, biologists and mathematicians believe in God — and not just some metaphysical abstraction, but a deity who takes an active interest in our affairs and hears our prayers: the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”

Jim Holt, Science Resurrects God, The Wall Street Journal, December 24, 1997, Dow Jones & Co.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »
Does this mean anything?

“Scientists ... often change their minds when they see new evidence. I was reminded of this a few months ago when I saw a survey in the journal 'Nature'. It revealed that 40% of American physicists, biologists and mathematicians believe in God — and not just some metaphysical abstraction, but a deity who takes an active interest in our affairs and hears our prayers: the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”

Jim Holt, Science Resurrects God, The Wall Street Journal, December 24, 1997, Dow Jones & Co.

Yeah, it means what I have said many time, there is no conflict between evolution and religion since 95% of all scientist believe in evolution that means 35% believe in evolution while believing in God.