Author Topic: Maryland might be dropped...  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Spladlemaster

• LXP
  • World Silver
    • View Profile
Maryland might be dropped...
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/marylands-wrestling-program-among-those-awaiting-a-major-decision/2011/11/09/gIQAGcxg6M_story.html

Guys this has me scared. Mainly because not only does Maryland have A LOT of money in the 2 major sports (football, baksetball). It has two power houses in the non major sports (lacrosse and Soccer). It is sad to see but I think sooner or later UMD wrestling will be done.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Maryland might be dropped...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:47:57 AM »
The one good (if you will) side is that, aside from basketball, football, lacrosse, soccer, and wrestling, the remaining seven men's sports Maryland sponsors are, by ACC standards, mediocre-to-awful. I think it would be very tough for an AD to justify keeping a men's outdoor track team that hasn't finished in the top half of the ACC since 1984, a men's indoor track team that hasn't finished in the top half of the ACC since the conference reinstated the sport in 1987, a cross-country team that hasn't finished in the top half of the ACC since 1987, a baseball squad that hasn't had a winning record in ACC play since 1981, a golf team that hasn't finished in the top five in the ACC since 1996, a swimming and diving team that hasn't finished in the top half of the ACC since 1987, and a tennis team that hasn't had a .500 record in ACC play since 1990. And by the way, I didn't just cherry-pick those numbers just to prove a point. Combine this with the fact that the athletic director came from the United States Military Academy, and I'd be very surprised to see the wrestling team cut, even if they cut their men's offerings to the bare minimum of six teams.

I'd monitor the situation, and I will be, but AD Kevin Anderson could cut any six of the seven sports I've listed above with barely a whimper from the Maryland alums, and probably no hit to the NACDA Learfield Sports Directors' Cup ranking, and I really think there are other places the wrestling community could utilize its angry resources for right now.

Offline wrestlingterp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
The cuts will be from both mens and womens teams.  Both mens and womens swimming are notified they will likely be cut, along with water polo.  The Commission has a list of up to 10 teams they are recommending for elimination and wrestling is NOT on that list.

Important to note that a school needs to have 16 sports to remain at the FBS level, including football. Maryland currently sponsors 27 sports, third most in the ACC behind Boston College and North Carolina.

Wrestling at Maryland is one of the 5 or 6 most successful programs at the school and has the least number of scholarships of any of them except for womens lacrosse, which also has 9.9. Maryland is also the last remaining state college or university in the state with a wrestling program.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:34:57 PM by wrestlingterp »

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the info wrestlingterp. Good luck to the Terps for many years to come.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »
Seven sports dropped from Maryland

Men's swimming
Women's swimming
Men's tennis
Women's water polo
Competitive cheer
Men's cross country
Men's indoor track and field

Offline Hardcore

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
I feel bad for the teams that lost their funding but am relieved that wrestling will remain alive and well at Maryland. I have had the pleasure of watching the Terps a couple of times in the past few years and have enjoyed both the wrestling and their fans ( even the crazy guy is good for a laugh).

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
There are some good things about Title IX, but the idea of forcing schools to blow money on unprofitable money sinks (such as most women's sports) is absolutely ridiculous. Good news about Maryland wrestling, but I feel sorry for the kids who lost their scholarships in the other sports as well.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
I feel bad when the first thing I think is, YES not wrestling. 
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Still sad nonetheless.

If you participate in a sport that does not bring in cash to the university.....you are on the chopping block.

Wonder if universities will think that way for majors as well?  Hey, Liberal Arts majors.....you bring in no money as alumni; therefore we are cutting you and only offering business classes.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »

i wouldn't feel bad B.

truth of the matter is, its dog-eat-dog, us vs them. and im glad its them, not us, that's still around.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline herbp

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
The cuts will be from both mens and womens teams.  Both mens and womens swimming are notified they will likely be cut, along with water polo.  The Commission has a list of up to 10 teams they are recommending for elimination and wrestling is NOT on that list.

Important to note that a school needs to have 16 sports to remain at the FBS level, including football. Maryland currently sponsors 27 sports, third most in the ACC behind Boston College and North Carolina.

Wrestling at Maryland is one of the 5 or 6 most successful programs at the school and has the least number of scholarships of any of them except for womens lacrosse, which also has 9.9. Maryland is also the last remaining state college or university in the state with a wrestling program.

IF this is the same wrestlingterp who used to post on TWT a lot you can take whatever he says about maryland wrestling to the bank.
You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.
N.Gaimann

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »

IF this is the same wrestlingterp who used to post on TWT a lot you can take whatever he says about maryland wrestling to the bank.
Except his Maryland Wrestling predictions. 
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
I feel bad to see competitve cheer go away given how Debbie Yow used that to support the proportionality  total and also tuen the feminists against themselves. It was brilliant.
When all else fails, do the opposite...