Author Topic: All Current Creationism Bills Originate From On Drafted By Rick Santorum  (Read 1951 times)

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:25:45 PM by coachsparky »
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: All Current Creationism Bills Originate From On Drafted By Rick Santorum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
Creation is our most likely origin but since it isn't a natural event it shouldn't be taught in the science classroom.  Big disconnect here.

That being said, the theory of the evolution or higher species from lower species also deserves little if any time in a high school science classroom. Much more important things to learn about, and also things that are better documented.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:55:09 PM by red viking »
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
Another reason not to vote for this nutcase.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/14/all-current-creationism-bills-originate-from-an-amendment-drafted-and-proposed-by-rick-santorum-in-2001/

Since January 1st, three state legislatures in Missouri, Indiana, and New Hampshire have all introduced bills that would force schools to teach creationism as an accepted science even if students, parents, and teachers are not Christians. Such bills infringe upon religious freedom as protected by the United States Constitution. Since 2004, 12 states have tried to pass creationism bills. Only one, in Louisiana, has become law. You may be wondering, where did all of these bills come from?
C'mon guys, every elementary school in the country teaches Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy, and nobody has a problem with that!

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
Creation is our most likely origin but since it isn't a natural event it shouldn't be taught in the science classroom.  Big disconnect here.

That being said, the theory of the evolution or higher species from lower species also deserves little if any time in a high school science classroom. Much more important things to learn about, and also things that are better documented.

Evolution does not cover origins.  Evolution is the actual way the first single celled organism that appeared on earth developed into the varied species we have today.  That is a known fact among scientist.  It gets very little coverage in high school and what it does get is the appropriate level.  Evolution is heavily covered in biology in college as it should be as it is the foundation of todays understanding of biology. 

The coverage of origins in high school is very minimal too.  They do cover briefly the Urey Miller experiments and their antecedents as they should as that is the only scientific work being done on the origins of life on earth. 

I agree with you that creationism does not belong in the science room, only real science belongs there.  But politician like Santorum, Bush, Bachmann and other keep trying to curry favor with the social conservative who are not well educated people who still believe in creationism and therefore do silly things like promote laws to force superstition into the science classroom.

How is the development from single celled organisms to the varied species that we have today "the foundation of today's understanding of biology"? 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:16:50 PM by red viking »
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
Evolution itself is very fundamental but you referred specifically to the evolution from single-celled organisms to the organisms that we have today.  In other words, the evolution that supposedly took hundreds of millions of years to occur.  I want to know how these drastic changes to organisms over geologic time is fundamental to anything whatsoever except for maybe paleontology. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:20:47 PM by red viking »

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
Sparky said:
Evolution is the actual way the first single celled organism that appeared on earth developed into the varied species we have today.

I think you're running into problems because you provided an extrapolation of the actual definition of evolution. I don't have a problem with what that group said, actually. Evolution is a very fundamental concept. However, the extrapolation of evolution to these large-scale changes that supposedly occurred over hundreds of millions of years is not a fundamental concept and has extremely limited importance in science and no application whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:32:59 PM by red viking »

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
Sparky said:
Evolution is the actual way the first single celled organism that appeared on earth developed into the varied species we have today.

I think you're running into problems because you provided an extrapolation of the actual definition of evolution. I don't have a problem with what that group said, actually. Evolution is a very fundamental concept. However, the extrapolation of evolution to these large-scale changes that supposedly occurred over hundreds of millions of years is not a fundamental concept and has extremely limited importance in science and no application whatsoever.

I will only discuss social conservative politicians pushing their silly superstition agenda on this thread.

You are wrong, if you are interested in finding out why take it to the evolution forum.  If not we will just leave it at you being wrong and scared to discuss it.  NCSE agrees with me and agrees you are wrong.  Nuff said.

OK, we can discuss on the evolution forum.  I forgot that thing existed. Should I start a thread?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:04:50 PM by red viking »

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
OK, we can discuss on the evolution forum.  I forgot that thing existed. Should I start a thread?

No, now that you mention it, the conversation generally is apropos to that category.  I moved it; please continue.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
Thanks. Go ahead and respond now Sparky.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
OK, well I will agree with you on the moronic right wing politicians part.