Author Topic: Laila Ali kicks off 3-day celebration of Title IX  (Read 2792 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Laila Ali kicks off 3-day celebration of Title IX
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, one of several scheduled speakers at the seminar, said the conference has made steady improvements toward the mission of Title IX. He said during the 1991-92 athletic season, 70 percent of Big Ten student-athletes were men and 30 percent were women.
"The good news is, it's 51 percent for men and 49 percent for women today,'' Delany said. "We've made progress.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/mma/boxing/05/10/title.ix.40th.anniversary.ap/index.html#ixzz1uaGWweRd

I'd like to ask Mr. Delany how much of that progress was made at the expense of men's programs rather than the creation of women's programs, which is the intent of the law.

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Laila Ali kicks off 3-day celebration of Title IX
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
Don't get me started on this stupid subject!! Title IX and how it is implemented is the biggest joke piece of legislation going right now.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
Yup and when you confront those numbskulls with what title 9 has really done, they stare at you like a dipshit stares at a tire spinning in awe.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
title IX is an absolute joke.

almost as big a joke as it's defenders
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
I'll say it.  It's not Title IX it's how colleges handled it.  It was meant to create opportunity, which it has to an extent, unfortunately we also all know what it to other people's opportunities. 

When you have to recruit girls to do things like hammer throw, for example, even though they have never done it or want to do it, just to use the money that is allotted to appease the scholarship Gods, it's not being used right. 

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
I've been grilling Nancy Hogshead-Makar for weeks about Title IX on my personal twitter account (jasonmbryant). I've thrown tons of questions at her she avoids, changes the subject.

She's outright said Title IX has never been the cause of any men's cuts. Admission of this fact would kill her entire "law" world.

She's in as many words said all AD's are lying when they "scapegoat" Title IX. I've provided her a dead on interview I did with the Liberty University AD's (you know, those Christian folk who do nothing but lie?) clearly said they could not rely on Prong 2 moving forward even though they added THREE women's sports -- but they added them too quickly.

Ask Willie and V, some of the assaults have been quite eye-opening.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
I've followed it from a distance as well JB.  You're doing good work with it, sadly I'm guessing she honestly believes she's right regardless of what is put in front of her.  Has herself convinced of it.

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:55:49 PM »
I'll say it.  It's not Title IX it's how colleges handled it.  It was meant to create opportunity, which it has to an extent, unfortunately we also all know what it to other people's opportunities. 

When you have to recruit girls to do things like hammer throw, for example, even though they have never done it or want to do it, just to use the money that is allotted to appease the scholarship Gods, it's not being used right.

Exactly .... Nothing wrong with balanced opportunities. HOWEVER, the college's took the easy way out. The intent was to add programs. 
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »

Exactly .... Nothing wrong with balanced opportunities. HOWEVER, the college's took the easy way out. The intent was to add programs.

The problem is people like nancy and the women's sports foundation is they will not admit there have been any cuts to men cause of title nine. they will deflect to "school choice" and "nothing in title nine says to cut sports" and "football and basketball money"

It's frustrating to argue when they're so brainwashed in their denial.

it kills me to beat them at every argument only for them to do the family guy mule routine.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »
Ever have an argument with your wife? This is what its like.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 01:25:43 AM »
Ever have an argument with your wife? This is what its like.

My wife's pretty intelligent and sees things for what they are. Unlike the hyphenated world women's suits(pants)

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 02:18:32 AM »
i stopped arguing with her. it's futile and sophomoric.

every time i bring up a incongruity in Title IX Nancy deflects it to "it's not title ix, it's the college's application of it"

cmon man! that's just a cop out.

it's title ix that prescribes it. don'e get it twisted.

she sticks to about 3 axioms and deflects everything else.

like a true politician.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
When liberals try to use the government to cure societal ills, it frequently results in unintended consequences. And when it does they never accept responsibility for the fallout. Some on here seem to condone those "good intentions", this too is a mistake.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I've been grilling Nancy Hogshead-Makar for weeks about Title IX on my personal twitter account (jasonmbryant). I've thrown tons of questions at her she avoids, changes the subject.

She's outright said Title IX has never been the cause of any men's cuts. Admission of this fact would kill her entire "law" world.

She's in as many words said all AD's are lying when they "scapegoat" Title IX. I've provided her a dead on interview I did with the Liberty University AD's (you know, those Christian folk who do nothing but lie?) clearly said they could not rely on Prong 2 moving forward even though they added THREE women's sports -- but they added them too quickly.

Ask Willie and V, some of the assaults have been quite eye-opening.
I wish I could read that third paragraph and actually glean some knowledge.  I think im just too ignorant about the specifics of this law.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »
When liberals try to use the government to cure societal ills, it frequently results in unintended consequences. And when it does they never accept responsibility for the fallout. Some on here seem to condone those "good intentions", this too is a mistake.

We know what road is paved with good intentions.  Title IX is no exception.

Of course, that is giving them the benefit of the doubt.  It is just as likely that they are an advocacy group that is only concerned about the benefits to their constituents and don't give a rat's how it affects anyone else.