Author Topic: Laila Ali kicks off 3-day celebration of Title IX  (Read 2793 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Laila Ali kicks off 3-day celebration of Title IX
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 01:09:24 AM »
Why was Laila Ali chosen? Boxing (both men's and women's) are not in educational institutions at all.  Therefore, sports that have many famous women athletes (NASCAR, boxing, MMA, etc...) have nothing to do with Title IX.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 01:15:11 AM »
When liberals try to use the government to cure societal ills, it frequently results in unintended consequences. And when it does they never accept responsibility for the fallout. Some on here seem to condone those "good intentions", this too is a mistake.

We know what road is paved with good intentions.  Title IX is no exception.

Of course, that is giving them the benefit of the doubt.  It is just as likely that they are an advocacy group that is only concerned about the benefits to their constituents and don't give a rat's how it affects anyone else.

spot on Bob
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »
I see it as a no win situation for us as a sport.  If we protest, even with reasonable, cogent arguments, the general public sees it as nothing but hatred towards women's sports.  If we don't, we keep losing programs.

There is some good data in the this report (http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4124-participation-rates-1981-82-2006-07-ncaa-sports-sponsorship-and-research-report.aspx).  It is interesting to look at and compare participation rates in NCAA athletics on a yearly basis from 1981-2007.  I would not have guessed that overall men's participation had gone up from 170k to 234k in that time.  I also would not have guessed that wrestling had actually increased in number of participants from 01-02 to 06-07.  From a macro perspective like this one, the NCAA would have to think that Title IX is a huge success.  Of course, then there are reports like this one (http://collegesportscouncil.org/newsroom/display_releases.cfm?id=28) that provide pretty compelling evidence of what many of us have argued all along, that opportunities at the college level are much easier to come by for women and football can't be used to completely explain the imbalance.

Using opportunity imbalance to try to alter the choices made by the next generation has been proven somewhat effective in the massive numbers spike seen in women's sport.  At what point, though, do we get to cry foul and stop the discrimination?  I think we all agree we're past that point, but until the general public believes that, we're pissing in the wind. 

Offline wrestej

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »
Im against Title IX for obvious reasons, its killing a sport I love in the collegiate ranks.  That being said I can see the argument for the law but unless you map out word for word how the law is to be carried out people will do what they always do, pervert it to suit them best. 

I am conflicted on this issue in so many ways.  Bottom line is it is all about equality, but the truth of the matter is men and women are not the same.  We are different physically, chemically, and definitely mentally.  We dont look the same, act the same and mens thoughts on most things are different to say the least. 

I dont know why some people want everybody to be the same.  I think it boils down to taking advantage of people and some women feel they have been taken advantage of for a long time.  And probably so!  I wish they could just leave the sporting world out of their argument and stop screwing with a sport Im so passionate about.  Please!