Author Topic: Ed Ruth is the Best EVER...  (Read 6519 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Ed Ruth is the Best EVER...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
Excessive caution and a shortage of opinions is ruining the Internet.
I think you're wrong.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
I think you're wrong.

I think he was being sarcastic.
I think you're wrong.
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
I really dont see the big deal.  He writes based on his opinion/knowledge.  Id rather read pieces of opinion than the same vanilla crap that populates most wrestling articles(which is why I read the boards instead of most wrestling articles). 

Is his prediction stupid?  Sure.  But thats his opinion.  He could have said something lame like "Well we will have to see how Ed adjusts to the new weight, and Ed is probably the favorite, but you cant count Steve Bosak out.". He said legitimately how he felt.  I think many of us should be careful about chastizing an opinion, because at least he has one.

Right, but to then call out TOM for not having trained journalists simply because some of us think his opinion was was not realistic, is a bit childish don't ya think?  If you're willing to put up an opinion so thick with hyperbole you better not get butt-hurt when others disagree with it.

Exactly this. Just like when I had an opinion of his Big 10 network piece and his thin skin got all worked up like a girl who got dumped on prom.

He is fully able to have an opinion and I I agree, I like reading opinions, but guess what I have one also and mine is very different then his.

So VA, he can have his opinion, and we can not have our opinion about his?

Seems a little bit of a double standard.

Oh but he did wrestle DI
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
Post of the century, of the week haha.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »
I really dont see the big deal.  He writes based on his opinion/knowledge.  Id rather read pieces of opinion than the same vanilla crap that populates most wrestling articles(which is why I read the boards instead of most wrestling articles). 

Is his prediction stupid?  Sure.  But thats his opinion.  He could have said something lame like "Well we will have to see how Ed adjusts to the new weight, and Ed is probably the favorite, but you cant count Steve Bosak out.". He said legitimately how he felt.  I think many of us should be careful about chastizing an opinion, because at least he has one.

Right, but to then call out TOM for not having trained journalists simply because some of us think his opinion was was not realistic, is a bit childish don't ya think?  If you're willing to put up an opinion so thick with hyperbole you better not get butt-hurt when others disagree with it.

Exactly this. Just like when I had an opinion of his Big 10 network piece and his thin skin got all worked up like a girl who got dumped on prom.

He is fully able to have an opinion and I I agree, I like reading opinions, but guess what I have one also and mine is very different then his.

Oh but he did wrestle DI

I agree, and you are right. 

You have to admit this is more about TOM v. intermat than right and wrong though.  We all know theres no love lost between the two sites.  You clowned his article publicly  and he responded like a child in turn.  Kind of tit for tat imo.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »

Oh but he did wrestle DI

I agree, and you are right. 

You have to admit this is more about TOM v. intermat than right and wrong though.  We all know theres no love lost between the two sites.  You clowned his article publicly  and he responded like a child in turn.  Kind of tit for tat imo.

I didnt see any tits.  Do you have to be on twitter to see those?
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Here's my opinion- Mick Foley's match with Triple H was classic.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
I do not see it as us vs. them,

I take issue with a guy who feels the constant need to flash his credentials.

He wrote something, we commented, just like people who comment on what we write.

But he always and I mean always says " I am a trained journalist" and you are not.

1. Childish
2. Shows a lot of insecurity
3. Adds nothing to the debate he started. He said Ruth would not give up an offensive point at 184 or higher. I believe that not to be "journalism" which he must think it is, since he felt the need to point our we are not. I saw it as a tin hat comment, and left the door open asking if he was trying to be funny. He responded with his lame journalist comments.

I do not care who he works for, I would make the same comments if Willie wrote that piece on Ruth or if Willie wrote the piece on the B1G network.

Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »
After reading about T R Foley's "professional journalism", I will use my "professional judgment" and never bother to read anything he writes.  What a wuss.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
I do not see it as us vs. them,

I take issue with a guy who feels the constant need to flash his credentials.

He wrote something, we commented, just like people who comment on what we write.

But he always and I mean always says " I am a trained journalist" and you are not.

1. Childish
2. Shows a lot of insecurity
3. Adds nothing to the debate he started. He said Ruth would not give up an offensive point at 184 or higher. I believe that not to be "journalism" which he must think it is, since he felt the need to point our we are not. I saw it as a tin hat comment, and left the door open asking if he was trying to be funny. He responded with his lame journalist comments.

I do not care who he works for, I would make the same comments if Willie wrote that piece on Ruth or if Willie wrote the piece on the B1G network.

I see.  Sounds like a toolbag to me.

Offline Hardcore

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
Here's my opinion- Mick Foley's match with Triple H was classic.

Sounds like Foley could use some help from Socko before he put his pen to paper.A little intellectual boost never hurts.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
in general i think Foley writes well. the prose itself, that is.

i just don't care for his perspective or creative license.

the mailbag thing is a train wreck. the format is a perfect opportunity to both give some insight and voice your opinion. frankly, i wish i did it, lol.

foley does neither. his response to straight forward questions arent researched to the extent that he provides any more information than everyone already knows.

and the questions that ask his opinion on things (other than the ones about cartoon characters) are addressed with bland, non-committal biographies as if he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers.

(either that or he doesn't know what he's talking about).

i too don't get why he response to "that's bad journalism/writing" with "i have a degree'.

i have a graduate degree too. one that im rather proud of. but it's never crossed my mind to mention that when taking criticism.

you produce what you produce. if you write jibberish, it's still jibberish whether you have a degree or not.

if you write excellent content, does the author lacking a degree diminish the quality of the work?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:42:23 PM by The Du »
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
I have a degree from the streets.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
I have a degree from the streets.
Phd in hood motha...

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
FWIW...Peter Jennings never even graduated from high school.  Is this Foley guy a better journalist than him because he's got a degree? 
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!