Author Topic: Champs next year  (Read 13777 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Champs next year
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  ;D
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »

which leads me to another weight class concept....i wish Yohn and Storely would flip-flop

It's a no-brainer.  In fact, I have a year long sig bet with Cwill that they will switch weights.  The move would strengthen both weight classes and I think the coaches have to know that.  Also it irks me that Cody Yohn has sacrificed his career for the good of the team by cutting to much weight.  It isn't his fault that Glasser couldn't hold the weight and there was no other 165 lber on the roster.
Tax the churches.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 06:30:29 AM »
Going to put some names out there V, or just put your yes and no out there and whoever beats that person will be the person you had in mind?  8)

I will work on names, I based it on if I thought the guy you listed would win it or not.

I really do not see Ruth Winning or Z winning for sure.

I
Well you doubted Ruth coming into last year.  Not surprising I suppose even though hes been outstanding.  Z, I assume you say is a question of health?  Because we all know what unspeakable acts he commited  against Tony Nelson last season.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:16 AM »
VA, what weight do you have Caldwell wrestling? 65 or 74?
65 homie.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 06:34:05 AM »
I think Kilgore is the least likely of  your picks.

I now feel a lot better about that pick then.   :D

Let's do the math.  He's already won this weight. The top 3 from last year are all gone.  He's spent an entire year training and wrestling against the best on the planet.  So what exactly leads you to believe he won't win again?  The emergence of Scott Schiller?

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:09 AM »
thinking about it a little more.....

what would generate more points

Brown - 4th

Ruth 4th

Q - 4th

or

Ruth - 1

Q - 2

Brown - DNP

probably a net gain, right?

Ruth at 4th? Willie, is that you!?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:43:15 AM by vaisforlovers »

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »
i really don't see Ruth or Q big enough to move up.

put Q next to Kilgore. put Ruth next to Steinhaus.

from a team pt perspective, i'd rather leave those two there and make Matt Brown wrestle as an undersized 97.

brown at 74 makes more sense if your goal is to win national duals, not ncaa's.

maybe im wrong, i just think taking a two time finalist and a two time Top 3 and putting them at a disadvantage is risky business.

that being said, i'll still take ruth over steinhaus. but it's a risky match. rut at 74 and you can crown him now.

which leads me to another weight class concept....i wish Yohn and Storely would flip-flop

By all accounts it's Ed that is wanting to move up anyways.  Why so much emphasis on a guys size?  Watch the dude wrestle.  He's phenomenal. 

I'm not saying you guys are idiots to think he won't win, but to put it all on the fact that YOU think he's too small is silly.  What if he was cutting so much weight that he was losing muscle?  Now he will get to add some muscle and get bigger.  You realize that he won't weigh in at 174 and wrestle 184, right?

Offline fulsaasfan

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 08:41:37 AM »
Whoa buddy. I don't think that anyone was taking shots at you. They were just stating there opinions like you were in the original post.
It is hard to know at this point who will win each weight or even be at which weight.
I don't agree with all of your picks either but I don't think that they are out of line either. Just a matter of opinion at this point.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »
Going to put some names out there V, or just put your yes and no out there and whoever beats that person will be the person you had in mind?  8)

I will work on names, I based it on if I thought the guy you listed would win it or not.

I really do not see Ruth Winning or Z winning for sure.

I
Well you doubted Ruth coming into last year.  Not surprising I suppose even though hes been outstanding.  Z, I assume you say is a question of health?  Because we all know what unspeakable acts he commited  against Tony Nelson last season.

1. I doubted Ruth last year simply based on how he wrestled the year before. If Ruth stayed at 174 I would say he is a lock IMO. But this year I do not doubt him based on his talent, I doubt him based simply on the fact that I think he will be too small, now if he puts on 10 pounds of muscle in the off season, my view may change. You have watched wrestling long enough to know that every year is different, just because a guy dominates one year, does not mean he will the next. I doubted many early predictions people made. Before I say Ed Ruth is the best wrestler to step on a mat I will first wait and see how he handles the new weight if he goes up. IMO that is a logical approach. So as of now, I will stick with the opinion that I think he will be too small.

2. Z is all about health and Hanke did beat him this year. I think HWY is really wide open IMO I could see any of 5-6 guys winning it.

3. I think McD is the favorite for sure at this point, but I would not say he is lock, but as close as you possibly could.

4. Steiber is beatable, he is also very very good. 133 is a rather solid weight; Ramos, Dardanes, Carter, Futrell etc...

5. At 141 I would have Oliver as the favorite for sure. With Mangrum and Maple behind him.

6. At 149 really wide open I would favor Ness right now over Alton, but not by much and simply because he has done better this far.

7. I believe it is Dakes to lose.

8. I have taylor winning as well, but what about that Howe Kid or that Caldwell kid, or will Howe be at 174?

9. 174 first depends on if Perry is even here, if he is yea he is the favorite but I am not so sure he wins, see above, where will Howe be? Storley should show improvement off a great year. If Ruth stays down, I have him as a lock

10. 184 is top heavy with muscle heads, this is why I do not see Ruth winning it, as for now, I think any of 3-4 guys could win it.

11. I have Killer as the favorite, The wild card at this weight is the ever flaky Haynes

12. all ready covered.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »

Let's do the math.  He's already won this weight. The top 3 from last year are all gone.  He's spent an entire year training and wrestling against the best on the planet.  So what exactly leads you to believe he won't win again?  The emergence of Scott Schiller?

Glad to see that I am not the only insomniac, VA.  If Kilgore wrestles 197 then he will be ranked #1.  Of course that doesn't mean he will win as only 60-70 % of the preseason picks actually do win.  And only about 50% of the preseason AA guesses actually do AA.  Injuries, upsets, ineligibility, and unheralded upstarts take their toll.
It is also possible that the Killer wrestles heavy.  The Flashes have several 197 lbers on the roster, but only one untested hvy.  Schiller probably won't beat him this year, but Burak (6-4) returns and so does Rosholt (Byers 9-4).  It's not as if Kilgore is unbeatable.
Tax the churches.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
I think your point about HWT, V, is right on.  I don't think any one individual is likely to win it against the field.  Someone will, but there are too many wildcards in play between health, improvement, olympic redshirts, etc, etc.

I know it makes me a homer, but I can't help but see Oliver as the favorite whatever weight he goes from 133-149.

I don't think Perry wins 174 if either Howe or Ruth is there.

I will pick Ruth to win 174 or 184 no matter who else is there.

I really hope we get to see Caldwell against DT.  Caldwell was the only guy (possibly in the world) that could consistently slow down Burroughs offense.  Its an interesting clash of styles.

Dake at 157 might be the lock of the century. 

Dake at 165 makes the sport a lot more fun.

149 looks kind of weak.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:36 AM »
VA, i was going 'Worst Case Scenario" with ruth at 4th.

and though i think his wrestling skills are vastly superior to other guys at 184, im just flat out not sure if he's big enough for the weight. (not sure if anything can be taken from this, but he scored a grand total of 1 point against the vaunted Phil Keddy)

i'll take Ruth against anyone at 184, just saying the liklihood for him to get tripped up (which can happen to anyone) is much higher when you're not full sized and giving up strength like he'll be doing with Steinhaus and Bosak.

...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
VA, i was going 'Worst Case Scenario" with ruth at 4th.

and though i think his wrestling skills are vastly superior to other guys at 184, im just flat out not sure if he's big enough for the weight. (not sure if anything can be taken from this, but he scored a grand total of 1 point against the vaunted Phil Keddy)

i'll take Ruth against anyone at 184, just saying the liklihood for him to get tripped up (which can happen to anyone) is much higher when you're not full sized and giving up strength like he'll be doing with Steinhaus and Bosak.

And this is why the decision should have already been made (and I worry about the JO situation).  Having all summer to lift and focus on gaining quality weight, at that age, makes jumping a weight class or two acheivable.  Trying to do it after preparing to go at a lower weight class is much less so.

I shake my head every time I hear rumors that JO wants to go back to 133.  I wish Smith would just tell him, you're our 141 next year, get ready.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »

Glad to see that I am not the only insomniac, VA.  If Kilgore wrestles 197 then he will be ranked #1.  Of course that doesn't mean he will win as only 60-70 % of the preseason picks actually do win.  And only about 50% of the preseason AA guesses actually do AA.  Injuries, upsets, ineligibility, and unheralded upstarts take their toll.
It is also possible that the Killer wrestles heavy.  The Flashes have several 197 lbers on the roster, but only one untested hvy.  Schiller probably won't beat him this year, but Burak (6-4) returns and so does Rosholt (Byers 9-4).  It's not as if Kilgore is unbeatable.
The times on TOM are central.  Its 630 which is when im up and gettin ready.
Killer will be at 197.  No question.

Offline fulsaasfan

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
Nobody wants to take Derek St John for the win at 157...