Author Topic: Mizzou's Smith gets an extension...  (Read 4260 times)

Offline NellieNell125

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Mizzou's Smith gets an extension...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
So Mester & Pell left as paid assistants.  According to the article Johnston moved from volunteer to a paid asst.  Ellis is a volunteer.  Schavrien is director of wrestling operations.  That still leaves a paid position that has not been filled.  Maybe the rumors are true...

Offline tigerfan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »
They are not rumors. ;)
Because they stand on a wall.  And they say nothin\'s gonna hurt you tonight....not on my watch.

Drooke

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
Hahaha...i just read that in Arnolds voice.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
Get to the chopper Henson.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »
Tyler Caldwell does all he can to try and get to a school with Sammie, and now Sammie will coach against him in the same conference. 
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
except Mizzou isn't in the Big 12 anymore
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
I thought I heard they would still wrestle in Big12.  Where will they be?  Maybe I'm corn-fused..
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »
except Mizzou isn't in the Big 12 anymore

Where you been 'Du? 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline tigerfan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
Based on conversations I've had recently, it looks like Mizzou will be qualifying out of the WWC this coming year.  They'll still wrestle a Big12 schedule (with the exception of WVU).  There just isn't enough motivation yet for wholesale restructuring of the qualifiers.  Next year, Pitt will lose its place in the EWL and who knows who else will be scrambling to find a qualifier.  The Big10 schools would rather stick their heads in the sand than address this growing problem.  Lots of behind the scenes work is being done to implement the "regional" qualifying system, however, so look for changes to happen for the 2014 season.
Because they stand on a wall.  And they say nothin\'s gonna hurt you tonight....not on my watch.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Based on conversations I've had recently, it looks like Mizzou will be qualifying out of the WWC this coming year.  They'll still wrestle a Big12 schedule (with the exception of WVU).  There just isn't enough motivation yet for wholesale restructuring of the qualifiers.  Next year, Pitt will lose its place in the EWL and who knows who else will be scrambling to find a qualifier.  The Big10 schools would rather stick their heads in the sand than address this growing problem.  Lots of behind the scenes work is being done to implement the "regional" qualifying system, however, so look for changes to happen for the 2014 season.

It would really suck if the Big 10 tournament ends up being abolished to cater to these lesser schools and conferences that are incapable of promoting themselves.  I assume that with the toughness of the Big 10s it'll count as one of the regional qualifiers.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline tigerfan

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »
That's the rub.  Nothing would change for the Big10, their conference tourney would still be a qualifier, and yet they still can't be asked to support changing the other qualifiers to help the stability and competition of the remaining qualifiers.  It's not like they're actively against it or anything, it is just easier to do nothing than take action.  No biggie, change will happen, just not quick enough for next year.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
That's the rub.  Nothing would change for the Big10, their conference tourney would still be a qualifier, and yet they still can't be asked to support changing the other qualifiers to help the stability and competition of the remaining qualifiers.  It's not like they're actively against it or anything, it is just easier to do nothing than take action.  No biggie, change will happen, just not quick enough for next year.

I can't get behind blaming the Big 10 for this.  If the other conferences supported a change and the Big 10 tournament was remaining a qualifier, the change would have happened already.  Blaming the Big 10 for not dictating to the other conferences a "better" way to do things is silly.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »
I see no issues with the Big10 keeping their qualifier, if we went to regionals. However, I can understand that teams from the Big12 or Pac12 would complain. While wrestling has very little to do with those conferences now, I would be money the schools who win them still like the "Pac12" or "Big12" title behind them. It gives them clout and makes them important. We a team is winning a made up name, conference title, I'm sure it doesn't look as good.

I'm sure it'll also hurt recruiting. A guy like Brands or Robinson and just say "why would you go to Okie St and try and win some made up conference title, when you can come here and win a Big10 Title, be on TV, etc"
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
It seems like dividing up the WWC and making them affiliate members of the Big 12 and Pac 12 is the easiest answer.  Keep the name, make them bigger and tougher.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt