Author Topic: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?  (Read 13282 times)

Drooke

Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »

Nike Pride T-shirts now being sold....100% of the proceeds going to www.AthleteAlly.com

About Athlete Ally

Our Story

Hudson Taylor founded Athlete Ally in January of 2011. An athlete all his life, Hudson experienced demeaning humor in high school and college athletics, but befriended LGBT people when studying theater and Interactive Performance Art at the University of Maryland. Seeing the juxtaposition between the theatre department and the locker room, Hudson felt it was imperative that he confront a side of sports that no athlete should be proud of: sports marginalize LGBT athletes, coaches and others through systemic homophobia and transphobia. Hudson decided that he could no longer watch from the sidelines as his athletic culture isolated and segregated LGBT athletes and betrayed the integrity and diversity at the heart of athletics.

When Hudson wore an LGBT equality sticker from the Human Rights Campaign on his wrestling headgear, he encountered criticism from his peers, but received positive attention from the media. Following his presence in the media, Hudson received hundreds of emails from parents and closeted athletes. This experience inspired him to found this non-for-profit organization, with the mission of educating, encouraging and empowering straight athlete allies to combat homophobia and transphobia in sports.

Our Mission

ATHLETE ALLY is a 501(c)3 nonprofit sports resource encouraging all individuals involved in sports to respect every member of their communities, regardless of perceived or actual sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, and to lead others in doing the same. Athlete Ally provides social advocacy campaigns, on-campus trainings and practical tools including resources to locate and learn about allied athletes, coaches, teams, athletic clubs and sports-based advocacy projects around the country.

Who is an Athlete Ally?

An Athlete Ally is any person — regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity — who takes a stand against homophobia and transphobia in sports and brings the message of respect, inclusion and equality to their athletic community. Athlete Allies include competitive and recreational athletes as well as coaches, parents, teachers, league officials, sports fans, other sports participants and advocates.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
I want one.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
Just looks like any old T-Shirt.  What's the deal?
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:47:58 AM »
Honestly, wrestling is a more important thing to me than gay rights, so I don't care if Nike is on the AthleteAlly train, they still screwed wrestling over something fierce and won't admit their folly.

I will always and forever boycott Nike until they bring back wrestling at Oregon.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Agreed!!
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »
Thats where I'm at too. Plus, their product sucks and is way overpriced.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
LOL good stuff.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »
No.... it is NOT time to lift the ban. And Taylor should take his crusade to a different shoe company.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »
their gear is crap. the shirts tear in the armpits and shoes blow out the bottoms word
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline herbp

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »
 Mother Fxxx NIKE .
You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.
N.Gaimann

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
Honestly, wrestling is a more important thing to me than gay rights, so I don't care if Nike is on the AthleteAlly train, they still screwed wrestling over something fierce and won't admit their folly.

I will always and forever boycott Nike until they bring back wrestling at Oregon.

WOW !!!!

Is this USA Wrestling's position as well???

I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
What is this "homophobia" I read about above. People are scared of people? What's that all about?
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
Is "transphobia" being scared of someone from Transylvania?

Offline NDKnowledge

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Is "transphobia" being scared of someone from Transylvania?

No, it's a fear of trans fat... that stuff could cause you to not make weight! that's why all the food packaging says "no trans fat" so you don't have to be afraid of eating it.