Author Topic: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?  (Read 12566 times)

Offline Hardcore

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
Nike continues to produce overpriced crap. Ban or no ban I will never buy their products.

Offline get the fall

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
Honestly, wrestling is a more important thing to me than gay rights, so I don't care if Nike is on the AthleteAlly train, they still screwed wrestling over something fierce and won't admit their folly.

I will always and forever boycott Nike until they bring back wrestling at Oregon.

WOW !!!!

Is this USA Wrestling's position as well???

Did he say that it was USA wrestlings position? NO!!! JB said "wrestling is a more important thing to me". Don't try and blow this out of proportion. Let the man have his opinion.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
Anybody besides me think the fashions shown in the first post look gay?! What's with that?
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Most Nike stuff looks stupid. And when I mean stupid, I mean stupid and garbage. 
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 10:56:47 PM »
Wrestling is my life, it's my job and my hobby.

I have a few gay friends ... that's the extent of my interest in that issue. It doesn't affect me, so I don't care about it. That's a personal opinion.

USA Wrestling does not and will not discriminate. The company position is much different than my own. I honestly don't care. I'm against hate crimes and things of the like, but when it comes to siding with Nike or not siding with Nike -- wrestling wins.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »
Nicely stated, JB.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
Wearing this to the TOM party in Des Moines for sure.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
Wrestling is my life, it's my job and my hobby.

I have a few gay friends ... that's the extent of my interest in that issue. It doesn't affect me, so I don't care about it. That's a personal opinion.

USA Wrestling does not and will not discriminate. The company position is much different than my own. I honestly don't care. I'm against hate crimes and things of the like, but when it comes to siding with Nike or not siding with Nike -- wrestling wins.
Dang, against hate crimes?  Way to be bold.
The struggle for gay peopple is not just "hate crimes". The fact that they do not have equal rights and face many different types of discrimination is the crux of the issue.  I think I love wrestling more than most, but it doesnt mean I love people less.. 
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline krippler

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
Honestly, wrestling is a more important thing to me than gay rights, so I don't care if Nike is on the AthleteAlly train, they still screwed wrestling over something fierce and won't admit their folly.

I will always and forever boycott Nike until they bring back wrestling at Oregon.

What happened with Nike & Oregon?

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »
I tell you what, when gay folk stop chopping up people and eating them, I'll care a little more about their rights. That goes for straight people too.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
wait, so because Nike started a non-profit supporting LGBT, im now supposed to feel ok with buying their products?

::)

whatever. gimme a break.

don't turn this against JB. i completely agree with him and won't be buying nike either until they do something other for the sport than make money off of it.

hate away!
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 12:55:26 PM »
Issue doesn't impact me or my family in day to day life. Why should Nike embracing a worthy but personally minimal cause make me end my boycott on a company like Nike?  I mean it's pretty lame to chastise me for not caring about an issue which has zero direct impact on me. I mean I don't care about poaching ... because I don't hunt. Strike me down now for not caring about animals, too

Vais,
I know what the crux of the big issue is ... none of it has anything to do with Nike or wrestling.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:56:47 PM by Jason Bryant »
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »

Just curious...what did Nike do to wrestling? Not calling you a liar Jason, but I don't understand what Nike did.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Issue doesn't impact me or my family in day to day life. Why should Nike embracing a worthy but personally minimal cause make me end my boycott on a company like Nike?  I mean it's pretty lame to chastise me for not caring about an issue which has zero direct impact on me. I mean I don't care about poaching ... because I don't hunt. Strike me down now for not caring about animals, too

Vais,
I know what the crux of the big issue is ... none of it has anything to do with Nike or wrestling.

I suppose it's not really about the Nike brand for me, it's the thinking that since "gay rights doesn't affect me personally, so I don't care"  What if everyone felt like that, and only cared about those who are directly impacted by something?  It's not too revolutionary to think of others in need.  I really have not been directly affected by homosexuality in any way, but that doesn't mean I want them discriminated against.  It's about recognizing when something is bigger than the sport, imo. 

Buy the shirt or not, I guess that's not really the point for me.  It's more the small-minded thinking and only caring about yourself that bothered me I guess.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.