Author Topic: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?  (Read 13314 times)

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
Re: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:19 AM »
Nike can suck it

Very eloquent.....  And we wonder why Wrestling Fans are considered Neanderthals ... At 29 years of age, and 10.711 posts per day, one would think ...... OH ... Never mind. :-[

It's exactly, this kind of blind, misdirected hatred, that has hamstrung College Wrestling since Title 9 arrived on the scene. The University of Washington, and prior to that Washington State, buried their heads in the sand and did absolutely nothing to preserve the wrestling programs.  Totally off guard, with no preservation or funding plans, what so ever. 

It's ironic, that OSU, the ugly step child of OU .... Is still alive and well, and building a solid endowment  base of funds. They are not out of the woods as of yet, however they are getting closer and closer. 

It wasn't until the programs were flushed down the toilet, did we ever see any efforts to fund the programs at  UW and WSU. Granted we never thought the proportion prong would be the fall back position ... in the early days. OU had plenty of lead time to prepare...  YET did not.

The last figures we got from WSU was 13M, to fund both womens and mens wrestling, as they also need new facilities as well. And over at the UW, you can find absolutely no history nor indication, that Larry Owing ever wrestled there.

It's as if, wrestling never existed.

What is frustrating is ... We have so many Kazillionaires, Billionaires and Multi Millionaires in the NW, and not a single one of them is a former wrestler, nor avid wrestling fans.

A sugar daddy or two would sure be welcome.

I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Drooke

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:27 AM »

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
Nike can suck it

Very eloquent.....  And we wonder why Wrestling Fans are considered Neanderthals ... At 29 years of age, and 10.711 posts per day, one would think you could alt least build a complete sentence.

It's exactly, this kind of blind, misdirected hatred, that has hamstrung College Wrestling since Title 9 arrived on the scene. The University of Washington, and prior to that Washington State, buried their heads in the sand and did absolutely nothing to preserve the wrestling programs.  Totally off guard, with no preservation or funding plans, what so ever. 

It's ironic, that OSU, the ugly step child of OU .... Is still alive and well, and building a solid endowment  base of funds. They are not out of the woods as of yet, however they are getting closer and closer. 

It wasn't until the programs were flushed down the toilet, did we ever see any efforts to fund the programs at  UW and WSU. Granted we never thought the proportion prong would be the fall back position ... in the early days. OU had plenty of lead time to prepare...  YET did not.

The last figures we got from WSU was 13M, to fund both womens and mens wrestling, as they also need new facilities as well. And over at the UW, you can find absolutely no history nor indication, that Larry Owing ever wrestled there.

What is frustrating is ... We have so many Kazillionaires, Billionaires and Multi Millionaires in the NW, and not a single one of them is a former wrestler, nor avid wrestling fans.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I should my college education to work and write out a long response as to why I don't buy Nike and therefore don't support them.

I do not purchase products made or marketed by NIKE Corporation for a number of reasons.  They produce an inferior product compared to nearly every other sports manufacturing company.  Adidas, Asics, New Balance, Puma, KSwiss, Reebok, Spalding, etc all produce equipment that is of overall better quality at or below the prices offered by Nike.  When you buy from Nike, you're paying for the "Swoosh".  I have never owned a Nike shirt (tshirt, polo, sweatshirt, etc) that did not develop wear holes within the first year of ownership.  The shoes that I have owned (crosstrainer, runners, wrestling shoes) have all structurely failed as well.  The last pair was a pair of "I am Strong" Lance Armstrong inspired crosstrainers, the undersole separated from the boot within 6 months.  That is unacceptable by Any standards. 
Do I feel that Nike contributed to the loss of wrestling at the University of Oregon?  Absolutely.  To say that they had nothing to do with it is ridiculous and intellectually dishonest.  The University bowed to pressure from people closely related to the Company.
I do not think it was their duty to "save" the sport of wrestling at the University, but they absolutely owe it to a community that had been purchasing and supporting their wrestling apparel to not help sound the death knoll.

Nike Can Suck it.

is that better Wire?  f'ing d'bag
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
bryce do you want to fight in real life during the TOM party in Des Moines?
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
bring on the CAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
i'm your huckleberry
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
bryce do you want to fight in real life during the TOM party in Des Moines?

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
OSU's endowment is made up of the old Cultural Exchange fund, Dale Thomas being a huge penny pincher and a large donation made by Robin Reeds widow before she died that was in the millions. The endowment is set up so they will always make money and only use a portion of the interest.

As much as people hated Dale, he was ahead of his time when it comes to funding a college program.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
We hated him for the square hamburgers, not for being well endowed.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »

I was thinking POGS, for keeps.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:54 PM »
We hated him for the square hamburgers, not for being well endowed.

Bazing!
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 12:42:17 AM »
OSU's endowment is made up of the old Cultural Exchange fund, Dale Thomas being a huge penny pincher and a large donation made by Robin Reeds widow before she died that was in the millions. The endowment is set up so they will always make money and only use a portion of the interest.

As much as people hated Dale, he was ahead of his time when it comes to funding a college program.

Rock ... Almost, but not quite fully funded:

9.9 Scholarships are good to go ... yet a lot of more expenses need to be covered.

http://tinyurl.com/6uhn83n
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »

I was thinking POGS, for keeps.
for Keeps?  my mom doesn't like it when I play for keeps...but you're on!  only regulation "slammers" though!

Online ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »
Nike can suck it

Very eloquent.....  And we wonder why Wrestling Fans are considered Neanderthals ... At 29 years of age, and 10.711 posts per day, one would think ...... OH ... Never mind. :-[

If you dont know that Phil Knight was a huge if not THE catalyst in the demise of the Duck wrestling program then you arent much of a fan of college wrestling at least not a knowledgeable one.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Nike can suck it

If you dont know that Phil Knight was a huge if not THE catalyst in the demise of the Duck wrestling program then you arent much of a fan of college wrestling at least not a knowledgeable one.
Agreed.  If you cant blame a big corporation for your problems, who should you blame?
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.