Author Topic: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?  (Read 13665 times)

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
Re: Time to Lift the Ban on Nike?
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »
Gay people... (fart noise)

who cares?
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:33 PM »
If only Lord Alfred Douglas could see homosexuality now, its' gone from, "...the love that dare not speak its' name" to "...the love that just won't shut the F up."
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline Hardcore

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
I don't care who you are, thats some funny shit. +1 Oc.

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
Nike can suck it

Very eloquent.....  And we wonder why Wrestling Fans are considered Neanderthals ... At 29 years of age, and 10.711 posts per day, one would think ...... OH ... Never mind. :-[

It's exactly, this kind of blind, misdirected hatred, that has hamstrung College Wrestling since Title 9 arrived on the scene. The University of Washington, and prior to that Washington State, buried their heads in the sand and did absolutely nothing to preserve the wrestling programs.  Totally off guard, with no preservation or funding plans, what so ever. 

It's ironic, that OSU, the ugly step child of OU .... Is still alive and well, and building a solid endowment  base of funds. They are not out of the woods as of yet, however they are getting closer and closer. 

It wasn't until the programs were flushed down the toilet, did we ever see any efforts to fund the programs at  UW and WSU. Granted we never thought the proportion prong would be the fall back position ... in the early days. OU had plenty of lead time to prepare...  YET did not.

The last figures we got from WSU was 13M, to fund both womens and mens wrestling, as they also need new facilities as well. And over at the UW, you can find absolutely no history nor indication, that Larry Owing ever wrestled there.

It's as if, wrestling never existed.

What is frustrating is ... We have so many Kazillionaires, Billionaires and Multi Millionaires in the NW, and not a single one of them is a former wrestler, nor avid wrestling fans.

A sugar daddy or two would sure be welcome.

If you dont know that Phil Knight was a huge if not THE catalyst in the demise of the Duck wrestling program then you arent much of a fan of college wrestling at least not a knowledgeable one.
Agreed.  If you cant blame a big corporation for your problems, who should you blame?

deflection at its finest.

you're on that sparkilian stuff....always the contrarian.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
Gay people... (fart noise)

who cares?

As I read this, imagine you as Mark Walhberg in The Departed when he's talking shit to DiCaprio.

+1
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »
YES !

Kent State beats Oregon 3-2 in NCAA super regional to reach its first College World Series

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »
Nike can suck it

Very eloquent.....  And we wonder why Wrestling Fans are considered Neanderthals ... At 29 years of age, and 10.711 posts per day, one would think ...... OH ... Never mind. :-[

It's exactly, this kind of blind, misdirected hatred, that has hamstrung College Wrestling since Title 9 arrived on the scene. The University of Washington, and prior to that Washington State, buried their heads in the sand and did absolutely nothing to preserve the wrestling programs.  Totally off guard, with no preservation or funding plans, what so ever. 

It's ironic, that OSU, the ugly step child of OU .... Is still alive and well, and building a solid endowment  base of funds. They are not out of the woods as of yet, however they are getting closer and closer. 

It wasn't until the programs were flushed down the toilet, did we ever see any efforts to fund the programs at  UW and WSU. Granted we never thought the proportion prong would be the fall back position ... in the early days. OU had plenty of lead time to prepare...  YET did not.

The last figures we got from WSU was 13M, to fund both womens and mens wrestling, as they also need new facilities as well. And over at the UW, you can find absolutely no history nor indication, that Larry Owing ever wrestled there.

What is frustrating is ... We have so many Kazillionaires, Billionaires and Multi Millionaires in the NW, and not a single one of them is a former wrestler, nor avid wrestling fans.

If you dont know that Phil Knight was a huge if not THE catalyst in the demise of the Duck wrestling program then you arent much of a fan of college wrestling at least not a knowledgeable one.
Agreed.  If you cant blame a big corporation for your problems, who should you blame?

I thought you were going to teach me a new word, Willie.  Then I realized Sparkilian was made up and was disappointed.  I'm not sure of its origins at this point.

I'm not ALWAYS the contrarian!  However, I do have my reasons for being sympathetic to homosexuals, but I'll save you that because most of you probably don't care and it'd be too long to type out.  And I'd probably come off sounding preachy.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline Wire

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
Nike can suck it

Phil has been a catalyst in and around the Football situation for sure. Hell, he owns that aspect of the University of Oregon. During Football games, they have a headset for him in his suite, to listen in to the coaches as they call plays down on the field !!!  There will come a day, if not already .... Oregon is going to wish they hadn't taken his handouts. He has developed an inordinate influence over the Athletic Administration, at all levels.

However, he wasn't the catalyst in the dropping of Wrestling, IMO and others. It was the knuckle-head AD, they had in place, and the AD prior. Again ... I can't really logically hate him for what he DIDN'T do. He was not required, nor invested,  to save UO from themselves.  As long as Football was safe, he was "good to go".

Hell ... his wife was a larger, and  more effective influencer in some ways, when you look close at the Womens Cheer, and Baseball situation.

The overall point of the article I posted, and my belief as well is: This hatred on message boards, our feeble attempt at boycotts, and all the teeth gnashing, and hand ringing on Wrestling Forums will do absolutely nothing, with regards to getting Wrestling back at UO. 

ViceGrip ... You and I are about the same age.  I rolled around as a 118#'r for WSU for a couple seasons, back when our nemesis, THE UW was a top 10 or better program. Both now gone....

Still involved with HS and Youth, and do "voice work" and announcing for Comcast on Demand. Specifically for High School wrestling, mostly at the Washington State Tournament, and regional tournaments, as well as a few in-season marquee events.  Just an FYI.

Good luck with the boycott.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:36:56 AM by Wire »
I finally became the man, my dog always thought I was.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
Phil Knight is the freaking AD for all intents and purposes.  He could make the University do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.  And what he wanted them to do was listen to his wife and axe wrestling.

Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Drooke

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
An interesting article on hudson's great great great grandfather... http://www.times-herald.com/religion/20120609pastor-corner-MOS

Offline kingpeezy

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »
I would think that making sure every American regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender, etc., is given a fair shot and equal rights (both on and off the playing field) would rank a little higher on your list of 'Shit I Care About' than a simple sport.  But hey, what do I care, its only other peoples lives we are talking about, not mine.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
I would think that making sure every American regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation, gender, etc., is given a fair shot and equal rights (both on and off the playing field) would rank a little higher on your list of 'Shit I Care About' than a simple sport.  But hey, what do I care, its only other peoples lives we are talking about, not mine.

I'm assuming this is directed at me, but as I said to someone else -- you don't know what I care about, what causes I donate to and what things I volunteer my time for. Outside of my family and close circle of friends, wrestling is the next biggest part of my life. There are several causes I have no direct impact or affiliation with that I endorse, support and actively participate.

I also never said I wasn't against equal rights. I support what Hudson Taylor is doing, I don't, however, believe Nike should be given a reprieve over their responsibility with the loss of Oregon wrestling just because they are producing a line of apparel aimed at eradicating homophobia in sports.

I love how you think you can sit on this pedestal and look down on me because I'm not going to be a flag-waving advocate for gay rights. I have my beliefs and that's my right. I have the right to care or not care about anything I want. You can criticize, pop up on a messageboard and question it, but your opinion will rank pretty low on the things I care about. So pack that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline The Du

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theopenmat.com
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
Nike can suck it

I thought you were going to teach me a new word, Willie.  Then I realized Sparkilian was made up and was disappointed.  I'm not sure of its origins at this point.

I'm not ALWAYS the contrarian!  However, I do have my reasons for being sympathetic to homosexuals, but I'll save you that because most of you probably don't care and it'd be too long to type out.  And I'd probably come off sounding preachy.

VAIS - being for LGBT rights and not supporting nike are not contradictory measures. just because nike started a non-profit doesn't mean we should support them. at the same time, not supporting them does not mean we don't support LGBT rights.

that was sort of convoluted. but you get my point.

hating nike doesn't mean we hate gay rights.

you're a smart dude. i don't understand why you think we should support nike simply because they printed a tshirt. there's other (more important and effective) ways to support LGBT. and nike printing a damn tshirt doesn't do anything to change the fact that they dissed wrestling.
...talking to myself cause im the only one worth consulting...

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »
Nike can suck it

VAIS - being for LGBT rights and not supporting nike are not contradictory measures. just because nike started a non-profit doesn't mean we should support them. at the same time, not supporting them does not mean we don't support LGBT rights.

that was sort of convoluted. but you get my point.

hating nike doesn't mean we hate gay rights.

you're a smart dude. i don't understand why you think we should support nike simply because they printed a tshirt. there's other (more important and effective) ways to support LGBT. and nike printing a damn tshirt doesn't do anything to change the fact that they dissed wrestling.

I know the two aren't mutually exclusive.  You are probably right. I don't think people should be considered bad wrestling fans if they choose to buy the shirt though(I know nobody here has suggested as such either).  It's kind of like the anti-abortion people who are only obsessed with electing republicans, but don't do anything to actually help these girls and who are getting pregnant.  Ok, not trying to start anything political.  Can't wait to talk about legitimate wrestling topics.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
Wrestling is an insignificant sport.  If they dropped every program in the country tomorrow we'd all go berserk, but nobody else would give a flying f***.  Not only is it "just a sport," but it is also an insignificant one at that.  Football and Basketball are the only sports that matter in college.  Everything else is just there for schools to pretend that they believe in "student athletes" even though they could care less.  Networks can market and make loads of cash on football and men's basketball, because that is all the general public cares about.  Everything else doesn't matter.  Enjoy wrestling while you can, because unless the general public starts giving out fu**s, then it'll never be anything but a niche sport competing with women's gymnastics for coverage.  Who cares if Philip Knight had some kind of involvement in Oregon wrestling being shut down?  If I want to wear a a shirt advertising my support for rainbow colored check marks then I will.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.