Author Topic: NCAA Cabinet Says-----  (Read 7494 times)

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Cabinet Says-----
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
I'd be satisfied with carry over scoring.  I think that would be a good compromise to retain the prestige of the current championship while elevating the importance of duals.  The NCAA wrestling champion would be crowned based on points from both tourneys.

And how could that ever pass with a super majority vote when the current minor proposal changes caused such a rebellion?
Tax the churches.

Offline ronsnap

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »
I'd be satisfied with carry over scoring.  I think that would be a good compromise to retain the prestige of the current championship while elevating the importance of duals.  The NCAA wrestling champion would be crowned based on points from both tourneys.

And how could that ever pass with a super majority vote when the current minor proposal changes caused such a rebellion?

Are you really an idiot or do you just play one on tyhe internet? 

First of all the proposal they made wasn't so "minor".  Second of all a little thought and contemplation can go a long way.
"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12-4-09

Proud member of the UNI Faithful 100!  Through thick and thin!

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
Pat -

Who are the members of the Wrestling Committee, and how are they appointed?

Same question for the Championship Cabinet.

Offline ptoc-nwca

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »
Pat -

Who are the members of the Wrestling Committee, and how are they appointed?

Same question for the Championship Cabinet.

I believe you can find a lot of the information you are looking for here: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Playing+Rules+Administration/NCAA+Rules+Sports/Wrestling/Playing+Rules/index.html

One of the new changes starting this year is that there is a rules committee and sports committee. The rules committee deals with only wrestling related rules.

I am not as familiar with the Championship Cabinet on the make up and how get appointed.

Thanks,

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
Are we going to find out what the NCAA didn't like about the proposal?
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ptoc-nwca

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
Are we going to find out what the NCAA didn't like about the proposal?

Yes, once we know everything

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
Thanks

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
Someone else brought this up, but the date they had set for the Duals, wasn't exactly a good one, The reason why a ton of our HS coaches and fans attend the current championships is because HS and MS wrestling is over. The duals would be hard pressed to get people to attend if there is still HS and MS wrestling going on.

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Champ
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
Someone else brought this up, but the date they had set for the Duals, wasn't exactly a good one, The reason why a ton of our HS coaches and fans attend the current championships is because HS and MS wrestling is over. The duals would be hard pressed to get people to attend if there is still HS and MS wrestling going on.

On this point, I do agree.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Kingk0ng

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

Jeez, the apocalypse must surely be upon us....
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. (Dr. Seuss)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 01:30:12 PM »

I never really thought about it until someone yesterday brought it up. For instance, we have our state tournament in most cases, the last weekend of Feb. Districts/Regionals the week before. Then the weekend after state, MS Regionals(highly attended by HS coaches), then their state tournament*highly attended by HS coaches as well). I know CA is a week after ours and WA is a week before. I also assume, most other states are around the same time, with the exception to Alaska.

If you want coaches/parents/wrestlers to attend, some have suggested having it after the individual tournament. Maybe that's been the problem this whole time. Not that the NCAA needs to sanction it, but the date of the National Duals being too soon.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »

Jeez, the apocalypse must surely be upon us....

LOL Believe it or not, JB and I have had beers together.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
"beers" that's a cute euphemism for it I guess.   :D
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
http://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/september/di+cabinet+approves+new+selection+process+for+swimming

"Dual-match format in wrestling

The cabinet reviewed a proposal to change the team component of the Division I Wrestling Championships to a dual-match format. During a lengthy discussion, cabinet members expressed both cautious optimism for the proposal and concerns that the concept may not have been fully developed with Division I coaches (based on feedback cabinet members received before the meeting). In addition, the cabinet acknowledged challenges related to considering budget requests in the middle of a budget cycle.

The proposal called for the selection of 16 teams (nine automatic qualifiers and seven at-large selections) in the second week of February. The first round would have been conducted the following week at eight campus sites with the participating schools incurring the expenses.

The eight winners would have advanced to the finals site a week later (third week of February), where the quarterfinals and semifinals would have been conducted on the first day. The consolation and the championship dual matches would have been on the second day at the finals site. Individual weight-class national champions would be held in the third week of March.

The cabinet voted to refer the concept back to the Wrestling Committee for additional development. Specifically, the cabinet wants additional feedback on how the proposed championship would affect the current championship, information on the views of the NCAA’s media partner(s), and an analysis of the budget impact related to the championship’s current budget. In addition, the cabinet requested results from a survey of Division I wrestling coaches and input from student-athletes."

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »
So the NCAA wants data that backs the proponents assertions. Novel concept.