Author Topic: NCAA Cabinet Says-----  (Read 7531 times)

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Cabinet Says-----
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
Pat, if this is back at committee can changes be suggested?  Maybe take some time to get input and explore other avenues split season that could satisfy everyone.  Well more people at least, we know Rock will never be sasified.   :D

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 07:36:09 PM »
Pat, if this is back at committee can changes be suggested?  Maybe take some time to get input and explore other avenues split season that could satisfy everyone.  Well more people at least, we know Rock will never be sasified.   :D
I'd be satisfied with carry over scoring.  I think that would be a good compromise to retain the prestige of the current championship while elevating the importance of duals.  The NCAA wrestling champion would be crowned based on points from both tourneys.  Although I've never heard/seen anything official from the NCAA, it doesn't appear that they're willing to entertain two wrestling champs.
virtus tentamine gaudet - strength rejoices in the challenge

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
I'm not against the idea but what scoring are we carrying over?  Who are the points from duals quantified into a number that will be added to the individual tourny points?

Does it become even more complicated for fans to enjoy?

Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
I'm not against the idea but what scoring are we carrying over?  Who are the points from duals quantified into a number that will be added to the individual tourny points?

Yes, it would definitely be more complicated.  A point system would have to be created that awards points for placing at the Duals Tourney.  We could make it even more complicated by rewarding teams for margin of victory in addition to placement points.  I have no idea what a fair & accurate point system would look like.  100 points for 1st?  90 for 2nd?

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »

Yes, it would definitely be more complicated.  A point system would have to be created that awards points for placing at the Duals Tourney.  We could make it even more complicated by rewarding teams for margin of victory in addition to placement points.  I have no idea what a fair & accurate point system would look like.  100 points for 1st?  90 for 2nd?

KNow you're just spitballing but 10 point differences between 1 and 2 seem ok but if the 4th place team at duals is already 40 points down going into the individual tourney it really won't matter what happens.  Finding a way to reward the dual champ but not eliminate other squads would be very hard in a combined scoring model. 

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »

KNow you're just spitballing but 10 point differences between 1 and 2 seem ok but if the 4th place team at duals is already 40 points down going into the individual tourney it really won't matter what happens.  Finding a way to reward the dual champ but not eliminate other squads would be very hard in a combined scoring model.
I agree that it would be difficult.  Maybe 10 points between 1 and 2, and then 5 point difference after that.  As you identified I'm just spitballing ideas.  You're also correct that if a team doesn't place in the top 'x' at duals then they wouldn't have a shot at the overall title...as it should be IMHO.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
That's where it get's tricky.  A team could lose 2 duals by 1 point each, place 4th, and be all but out of the running, but still have a very solid team that could crown multiple champions/AAs but have no real shot at making up ground.  It's an interesting idea and I'm not meaning to come off as dismissive I'm just trying to run it in my head. 

Offline ptoc-nwca

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »

I don't want to say too much right now until I know more.  I know what the cabinet said but not sure what it all means this moment.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
I suspect Roberts Rules of Order and lack thereof won out.

The new Rob Koll Bobblehead

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
That's where it get's tricky.  A team could lose 2 duals by 1 point each, place 4th, and be all but out of the running, but still have a very solid team that could crown multiple champions/AAs but have no real shot at making up ground.  It's an interesting idea and I'm not meaning to come off as dismissive I'm just trying to run it in my head.
Using this scenario, the 4th place team would have to make up 20 points to win the prize.  Using the following hypothetical Duals Championship results (I made some assumptions based on results including National Duals) and adding the points to the actual Individual Tourney:

Duals:
1. Minnesota 100
2. Ok State 90
3. PSU 85
4. Iowa 80
5. Cornell 75
6. tOSU 70

Individual:
1. PSU 143
2. Minny 117.5
3. Iowa 107.5
4. Cornell 102.5
5. tOSU 68.5
6. Ok State 66

Overall:
1. PSU 228
2. Minny 217.5
3. Iowa 187.5
4. Cornell 177.5
5. Ok State 156
6. tOSU 138.5

In this scenario the only difference would be 5th and 6th places, while Minnesota narrows the gap but still finishes 2nd.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
IN that scenario i'm comfortable. 

Offline AFHawk86

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »
I forgot to add Illinois who took 4th at Nat'l Duals.  It wouldn't have made much difference though. 

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »
I did get a good chuckle from Koll and Moyers comments after the NCAA tabled it. They basically said "yeah we need more time to discuss this."

I wonder if Mo bonked their heads together after that.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline hand fighter

• Schoolboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »
I'm with you on that Fuhr. But i've been told by more than one D1 coach that a few coach's refuse to cooperate/contibute. One of the coach's and i quote" Cael and Tom are out on an island of their own!"
and what a large well funded island it is with a huge fan base that gives a crap about the wrestling teams
I thought that's what all this discusion was about, spreading the wealth and helping the small fish. Building the sport as a whole.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
Does this mean the boy will continue to wrestle? He has mad skills. It would be a shame to lose him.  8)

Lol he might come out of retirement now. :)
Hope you didnt spend too much money on the Jordans.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.