Author Topic: Wild Cards  (Read 2386 times)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Wild Cards
« on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:15 pm »
please go and review the wild card rules

I am in favor of leaving the same...mostly because I could care less.  It has helped me in the past, but if I am cut out of the fun because of them I'll just organize a Toilet Bowl and pick NCAAs anyways.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:41:38 am »
I vote no change.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:55:49 am »
Change it. 

Don't let Bryce ride Herbs coattails to a playoff spot!  Make him pull himself up by his own bootstraps and make something of himself within this fantasy realm.

Honestly this is probably going to be a 2-1 vote.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:15 am »
Yep...I completely made it this year based on my confer....oh wait nope finished 4th based on my REGULAR season

Offline Jerry Callo

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »
I have enjoyed this season playing this way, but I wont do  this league again next year under this system - it puts too much weight on Conference Week which is a crap shoot when each league is so different.  You go from 12 and 14 team leagues - to the WWC with 5 teams - to the "Big 12" - or Big 3 plus WV, and have a round robin dual followed by a 4 team tourney. 

If the system is the same - it makes no sense to put in the effort and time only to be cut out of the NCAA Tourney.  The best solution I have seen in other leagues is to have a split season with two winners - one for the "regular season" and one for the "post season".  That way we all get to compete in the NCAA Tourney not just the top 6.  I am sure there are other ways to do it.

It is not for me to tell you how to run this - and I appreciate the chance to play - it has been fun - thanks again. 

JC
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »
I think I took the time to put together a team that was good enough to reach the NCAA tournament this year.  I made trades with herbp again, but he wasn't the only one.  I had a solid draft and supplemental that allowed me to field a decent team that put up points all year long.  I think that there Absolutely SHOULD be an emphasis on Conference week, as does the NCAA.  There are going to be some wrestlers who had good seasons, but because of a bad conference are either on the bubble or potentially out of a trip to Des Moines.  And there are some surprises who broke through and punched their tickets.  Why should our fantasy wrestling season be any different?

I agree that there needs to be some rule changes to the league overall, I like the idea of "add/drop" options.  But I will say that over the last few years the people who have complained about the Conference points thing are the guys who generally haven't gotten into the tournament that way.  Last year V missed out even though he finished ahead of me and other than an "oh" he didn't throw a fit in the least. 

I'll hate to lose you Jerry as it's been fun competing with you, but dems the breaks.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »
Yep...I completely made it this year based on my confer....oh wait nope finished 4th based on my REGULAR season
I know this is a big day for you.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »
yep I value my life on fantasy wrestling. 

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »
I have enjoyed this season playing this way, but I wont do  this league again next year under this system - it puts too much weight on Conference Week which is a crap shoot when each league is so different.  You go from 12 and 14 team leagues - to the WWC with 5 teams - to the "Big 12" - or Big 3 plus WV, and have a round robin dual followed by a 4 team tourney. 

If the system is the same - it makes no sense to put in the effort and time only to be cut out of the NCAA Tourney.  The best solution I have seen in other leagues is to have a split season with two winners - one for the "regular season" and one for the "post season".  That way we all get to compete in the NCAA Tourney not just the top 6.  I am sure there are other ways to do it.

It is not for me to tell you how to run this - and I appreciate the chance to play - it has been fun - thanks again. 

JC
I dont see how it puts "too much weight" on conferences.  First of all, if a mean score for conf week is 200, and a winning score for this league is 1600, that means conference represents 1/8 of the total picture.  Thats reasonable considering it is THE most important week of the year outside of NCAAS.

If you have good wrestlers on your team, youll do well at conferences.

If you had good wrestlers all year, conferences dont matter as much.   You had a good conference score.  Okie beat you by like 25 or so in conference week.
Having 1 wild card is important considering many are eliminated from an at large berth and there needs to be an incentive.   You were 19 points off the spot. That stinks, but thats how it goes.  Looking at schedules and having quality backups is a big part of it.  You did a great job keeping up with posting lineups, which is more than I can say.

If Futrell doesnt get hurt, you easily make up those 19 points and qualify.

You could talk me in to an additional at large playoff spot, but getting rid of the wildcard wouldnt be a good move. 

I think combining conference week and NCAAs would be a bad idea also.  There are too many differences in the conferences to make that fair.  Conferences would end up holding more weight than NCAAs. At NCAAs the slate should be wiped clean.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:14:19 pm »
yep I value my life on fantasy wrestling.
Im glad you resoonded to my challenge of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

If I had a million dollars  for every life I had changed for the better...Id be a millionaire

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:37 pm »
I've stickied this thread to make sure everyone gets their say on this topic.

Jerry, I am sorry that you do not plan on coming back. You have been a good consistent player this season. I apologize that the rules, as they are now,do not seem fair to you. Up until this season, we had two wildcard entrants into the NCAAs. Going into this season, there was concern by some of the guys that have been here for awhile, that two wildcards was too many. Under this format, you would have moved on.

I am not sure we can ever get a perfect set of parameters for the league that everyone will agree with. I think there are some that do not like to see a high percentage of the total participants move forward after conference tourneys. The other issue we run into is keeping everyone involved in the league the whole season. This would give everyone more trade opportunities and have a larger pool to choose from during the supp draft.

Again, I am always open to make changes that will make this league the most enjoyable for everyone involved. . I hope that you give us a chance next season. If not, I have appreciated your being in it this season and wish you the best. Thanks

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:00:45 pm by AKIN »
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline vaisforlovers

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:37:07 am »
Another thing I thought of.

This season started with 13 , but Cicero, V and buckeye did not finish.

So really the field was 10 that you were competing against. So it is not as though it was super hard to qualify when in reality 60% of the league makes it.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:34 pm »
To start, I want to acknowledge that there are good and bad things to almost any league setup.  I prefered the 4/2 setup we used to have, but 5/1 is close and, really, someone is always going to be on the bubble unless we let everyone in and there are problems inherent in that too.

One of the things I would really like to look into is a head-to-head league.  I know this is hard with the vaugeries of wrestling schedules and match-ups might dictate wins and losses more than whose team is best, but I think some of the fun of Fantasy Sports comes from trash talk and rivalry and that is encouraged more with head-to-head competition.  Hell, we already have plenty of budding rivalries in this league, but we hardly ever interact beyond debates over the rules or trades.  When was the last time we gave each other crap over the actual performance of a team in a given week?  We coudl even make the rule be that you score your opponents line-up each week to give Akin a break.

I do agree on a waiver-wire type of system where you can add\drop guys from your roster each week.  It wouldn't be that hard and would keep guys interested as you'd always have an avenue to better your team.  This would also eliminate the Supp draft which, while I enjoyed it, is a PITA to run every year.

As to post-season\play-off qualification issues:

I think the answer might be to provide those who don't make the NCAAs some competition of their own so they can finish out.  Perhaps the teams that miss the NCAA tournament could submit line-ups anyway and compete for the #1 pick in next year's draft?  It would be something to play for and it isn't like the #1 pick is an insurmountable advantage.

As previously stated, I liked 4/2 better, 5/1 is fine though.  Especially with the addition of my above idea, it would provide enough incentive.  I may have more later, but I've prattled on enough for now.

Offline herbp

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:28:07 pm »
 IF the add/drops are added for next season I'd advocate for the old 4/2 system as NOONE should fall out of contention if they use add/drops wisely .
You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.
N.Gaimann