Author Topic: Using iPads for Stats  (Read 7718 times)

Offline NDKnowledge

• OW
    • View Profile
Using iPads for Stats
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »
Perhaps someone on here can give me some help. Maybe I'm dreaming this up, but I'm almost positive that someone last year showed me that they had an application for their iPads that allowed their statisticians to use them to video record the matches and keep the stats simultaneously.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Using iPads for Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:22:17 pm »
I got this from The California Wrestling forum........

the App Store.
 Company just released a new version (1.0.2) to fix a few bugs. It's a recommended update for all users. More info on their blog located on the company website.

The first 5 events are free then you have to pay for each event you want to score. It's $40 for the first 10 events, then it says it is less than $1 for events after that. You never truly own the program, you have to keep buying the ability to score your events. Each event is a dual meet or tournament. You have to set up your roster in the program before you even start, there is no quick score function.

Quote Originally Posted by anklepicker View Post
    Takedown is an iPad app for simply scoring a wrestling match and sharing the results. It's available now in the Apple App Store. The app also manages schedules and rosters, supports multiple seasons, tracks certified weight, generates statistical and administrative reports that are easily emailed. Scoring is intelligent so that scoring errors are minimized and touch-based to take full advantage of the iPad interface. See the company website for more info or to try the free trial version, click this to go to the App Store.

Takedown is an iPad app for simply scoring a wrestling match and sharing the results. It's available now in the Apple App Store. The app also manages schedules and rosters, supports multiple seasons, tracks certified weight, generates statistical and administrative reports that are easily emailed. Scoring is intelligent so that scoring errors are minimized and touch-based to take full advantage of the iPad interface. See the company website for more info or to try the free trial version, click this to go to the App Store.

trackwrestling.com and the nwcaonline.com should be on this.

Swabi Quick Stats for Wrestling
 I am pretty sure it was free

"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:35:38 pm »
Anyone that buys an App that does stats just for their iPad is just asking for trouble. You need one that had the data stored on a server, not on an iPad. If you do this you are setting yourself up to lose your season's worth of work if your iPad is stolen or killed by some teenage mishandling it.

I believe TrackWrestling's app can be run on any mobile device and it does not need an internet connection.

Just a fair warning, all these people buying these apps for their iPads are going to be in trouble if their data isn't backed up online somewhere. Plus with the limitations an iPad has,  it creates a whole host of other potential issues.
No one on ignore   I like to argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..

Offline Jtm

• Novice
  • Going paperless, one team at a time.
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »
This is a very good point:  if your app doesn't store its data on a server, then you should regularly backup your iPad with iTunes or iCloud or both!  That way, when your iPad gets run over by a bus, you can restore all of your data to a new iPad.  This applies to all of your apps, not just those associated with wrestling.

What other specific limitations of an iPad create a "whole host of other potential issues"?  We can all learn from your experience, but the cautionary note is imprecise.

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:13 pm »
The ability to to edit your stats easily is one I would look into. I like my iPad, but if I am going to do a lot of typing or moving around I want my mouse and keyboard.
Also printing and viewing of reports is another big one. Apple likes to make it hard to print so that may be an issue.
Stability of the program, these are new programs and not sure how well they are programmed and or tested. Mobile apps tend to be flaky sometimes.
Multiple devices is another issue. At a big tournament I would LOVE to have two or three iPads entering in stats.

I have not used any of the other programs other than TrackWrestling's stat program last year.
Here are the reasons I liked it:
1. Didn't require internet connection
2. Could enter stats in via laptop, iPad, phone, desktop, etc
3. Didn't have to pay to have multiple devices at a meet(say big invite)
4. Custom reports
5. Ability to view stats from anywhere. The coaching staff can take a look at the stats any time any where if they have the login info.

Those are the key reasons I really liked the TrackWrestling program.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:51:13 pm »
Some good points.  In contrast, I use an iPad app for all wrestling scoring.   My iPad cover has a bluetooth keyboard built-in and it works well.  Also, I'd rather use the iPad touch interface than a mouse.  For me, carrying around a mouse, especially at a tournament when I'm running around, is just too inconvenient.  Not so bad in a dual meet.  I haven't found printing to be an issue; reports are easily emailed and then printed.  The app I use is very stable, but, as you say, it depends on the developer's quality control.  For me, I wanted an app that I could try for a reasonable period of time before purchasing.  We use two iPads at tournaments along with paper when necessary.  Transcribing from paper to iPad or iPad to iPad is quick, easily done in the stands during the long periods of inactivity as the day progresses.  With some experience, I can transcribe a match in less than a minute.

I use Trackwrestling on an Internet-connected computer.  I like it for tracking tournaments. 

I use an iPad app for all my team's stats.  The reasons I like it is:

1.  Doesn't require an Internet connection for anything.  All of my team's stats are kept on the iPad
2.  My data is private.  It is never uploaded to a cloud database.  I like that.
3.  I pay for the app once, I can use it on as many iPads as I own.   iPad Mini at $330 is something we'll consider this year.
4.  Lots of standard and custom reports, and I can narrow the report results along lots of dimensions: season, events, wrestlers, JV v. varsity, etc.  No internet connection required.
5.  Emailing reports from within the app  -- makes it easy to communicate with wrestlers, parents, press, college coaches.  Of course, email requires an internet connection.
6.  The touch interface let's me avoid a track pad or a mouse.  I like this for the wrestling environment.
7.  Scoring interface prevents silly scoring sequences like an escape from neutral, a takedown from the bottom position.  Makes the scorer's job easy.

Coaches have more choices for stats keeping these days and that's a good thing.  I really like using an iPad app for keeping our stats. 

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:25:06 pm »
Obviously you are trying to sell one of these apps.  If your data is not backed up on a cloud somewhere how do you transfer matches from one iPad to another? Also if it is not backed up anywhere, you are risking losing the whole season's worth of stats when someone steals your iPad or it gets crushed by a couple wrestlers.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:58 am »
As I mentioned above, we transcribe the matches from one iPad to another or from a scorebook.  Suboptimal, but easy.  Has the virtue of all data being on one iPad for reporting and statistical analysis..  Also, as I mentioned above, in general it is a good idea to back up your iPad via iTunes or iCloud regardless of what apps you use.  That way, when a bus (or a bunch of wrestlers)  runs over your iPad, your data is restorable.

There are a few wrestling scoring apps out there and they are each useful in their own way.  I prefer using a native app over a browser for the reasons noted in my previous post.  Others might reasonably choose differently.  Having choices is a good thing. 

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 06:31:44 pm »
Takedown Release 1.3 is available for download on the App Store.  Now supports roster download from NWCA/OPC database or any spreadsheet, user-defined weight classes and period lengths and Seeding Meeting report.   Revised pricing is more affordable -- no annual fee or upfront cost.  Score matches for as low as six cents each.  For more info:  www.levelchanger.com

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 05:22:00 pm »
Takedown Release 1.7.3 available for download from the App Store. New features since last season:

+ Choice-on-restart implemented for injury timeout
+ iOS 8 compatibility
+ Injury, blood, recovery, riding time clocks
+ Enhanced external scoreboard displays new injury and riding time clocks
+ Wrestler Profile Report
+ Enhanced social media support includes Twitter, Facebook and user #hashtags
+ Undo choice and previous period scoring errors
+ Copy weigh in from another event for dual tournaments
+ Single page weigh-in form for both teams in dual meet.
+ Random Draw generates weight class for starting dual meets.
+ Export your stats in a spreadsheet friendly format for more flexibility in analyzing and visualizing your team's stats.
+ Riding Time report reveals how much your wrestlers ride and get ridden by opponents.

Many thanks for your continued support! Takedown was recently ranked as the #12 Sports app in the Apple App Store.

Team Takedown
Blog: takedownapp.wordpress.com
Twitter: @takedownapp

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 10:08:06 pm »
Takedown Scoring and Stats release 2.0 is available for download from the Apple App Store.  New features: integrated roster downloads (over 9,000 high schools), staff contact info w/ messaging, equipment management and more intuitive user interface.  See www.levelchanger.com

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »
we could barely find girls smart enough to use a stat book ... give them an Ipad and they'll be posting selfies & updating Facebook instead of their work
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:55:34 pm »
we could barely find girls smart enough to use a stat book ... give them an Ipad and they'll be posting selfies & updating Facebook instead of their work

Using a well-designed digital scorebook is easier and less error-prone than paper, so you can recruit your scorers from a broader audience than "girls smart enough."  You might even be able to find "boys smart enough", "parents smart enough" or even "coaches smart enough", but don't hang your hat on that last one.

I'm hoping that your reply was entirely in jest.

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 09:02:21 pm »
How much does your app cost?

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:16:28 pm »
How much does your app cost?
About ten cents a match, less if you run on multiple iPads.  The cost is $2.99 to download the app and it has the ability to score 30 matches.  Additional matches are purchased within the app from the Apple App Store.  You can install the app on multiple iPads registered to the same iTunes user.

See our website for more details or just go to the App Store, download it and give it a try.