Author Topic: Using iPads for Stats  (Read 7719 times)

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
Re: Using iPads for Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 08:17:57 am »
So you're probably going to spend more with this app than TrackWrestling, possibly even double.

No one on ignore   I like to argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..

Offline Jtm

• Novice
  • Going paperless, one team at a time.
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 10:33:08 am »
Depends on how many matches are scored.  The numbers are small in any case.   They key thing for a user is what they need and which product best suits those needs.

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 10:40:57 am »
Depends on how many matches are scored.  The numbers are small in any case.   They key thing for a user is what they need and which product best suits those needs.

I'll pass, I can't imagine paying up to double for an inferior product.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 11:50:03 am »

I'll pass, I can't imagine paying up to double for an inferior product.
In your use of Takedown Scoring and Stats, what exactly did you find inferior in the context of scoring, stats, team management and fan engagement?

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 12:54:08 pm »
The fact that I can only use it on an IPAD and not any other device.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »
The fact that I can only use it on an IPAD and not any other device.

Yes, that's true:  Takedown Scoring and Stats is an iPad app currently.  For those with iPads or planning to purchase an iPad, it's less of an issue. But, the cost of an iPad -- $270 for a new iPad, some 3rd generation units on eBay for $150 plus or minus (if you trust that kind of transaction) -- is a consideration for many programs, especially in the era of tight budgets. Some teams recruit a willing parent (or two) that already own an iPad to score matches and that mitigates the cost of iPad acquisition.

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »
It's not the cost, it's the ease of use. Being able to access the information from anywhere is a nice little perk.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 03:06:01 pm »
It's not the cost, it's the ease of use. Being able to access the information from anywhere is a nice little perk.

Indeed.  Platform flexibility is important for some.  There are other dimensions of usability -- interface design, responsiveness, simplicity -- that are important as well.   In the mobile space, native apps are generally preferred over browser implementations.  In the desktop/laptop space, browser implementations seem to dominate.  Every user has their rank-ordered list of what's important and can make a decision accordingly. 

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 08:36:58 am »
Ease of access is a super high priority. With TrackWrestling any coach/manager can access the data and add/edit/delete as long as they have login credentials. That way we don't have to pass around one device in order to see or edit stats. It's an amazing concept that many people really enjoy.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24:40 pm »
Ease of access is a super high priority. With TrackWrestling any coach/manager can access the data and add/edit/delete as long as they have login credentials. That way we don't have to pass around one device in order to see or edit stats. It's an amazing concept that many people really enjoy.

Ease-of-access is important, not to be confused with platform compatibility which is one element.  Passing around a single device is not a good user experience for any product.  We've engineered Takedown Scoring and Stats to share its database amongst multiple iPads and, further, publish statistical reports in common formats -- PDF, image, text -- that can be viewed on any platform including desktops, laptops and all mobile devices. Login credentials aren't required.

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 02:42:11 pm »
TrackWrestling is compatable on ALL platforms, no need for sharing or anything.

As much as you want to tell me, I know TrackWrestling's program is better.

1. It's cheaper
2. I don't need an IPAD
3. Anyone can access the info from ANY device
4. TrackWrestling let's their product do the talking and doesn't bash other programs to make their look good.

You really need to go into politics the way you spin things around into a perceived advantage.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 03:47:46 pm »
TrackWrestling is compatable on ALL platforms, no need for sharing or anything.

As much as you want to tell me, I know TrackWrestling's program is better.

1. It's cheaper
2. I don't need an IPAD
3. Anyone can access the info from ANY device
4. TrackWrestling let's their product do the talking and doesn't bash other programs to make their look good.

You really need to go into politics the way you spin things around into a perceived advantage.

I wasn't telling you anything, just correcting misinformation.   And, further:  Track can be more or less expensive than our app, depends on the specific team's needs.  Regardless, the cost is trivial in both cases.

How and where, specifically, did I "bash" Trackwrestling?  I use Trackwrestling for certain things and like it quite well.  My original post was this:

Takedown Scoring and Stats release 2.0 is available for download from the Apple App Store.  New features: integrated roster downloads (over 9,000 high schools), staff contact info w/ messaging, equipment management and more intuitive user interface.  See www.levelchanger.com

I think someone else injected Trackwrestling into the discussion.

How, exactly, do you "know" that Trackwrestling's program is better?  Have you tried them both and have some fact-based insights worth sharing?  Could be helpful though not my intention here.  My goal, simply, was to let coaches know there's an app out there for scoring, stats, team management and fan engagement called Takedown Scoring and Stats.  Lots of teams use it and over 60,000 matches have been scored with it over the last two seasons.  Might be useful for some teams  -- I think they can make their own decisions.  I'm very happy to let our app do "the talking."  Give it a try.

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 02:26:12 am »
Takedown Scoring and Stats release 2.4 is available for download from the App Store.  New features include exhibition matches, match outcome/team score simulator, annual subscription option, pre-event pairings in dual meets, conference v. non-conference tag, historical rosters with weight certification, weight class eligibility guidance, better presentation and format for reports both on-screen and shared, and improved roster management (click here for more details). Also, Takedown LIVE has a new real-time database eliminating the need for refreshing the results. Scoring is posted from Takedown Scoring and Stats to Takedown LIVE in a second or two, so your fans get results in both a detailed and timely fashion.
Good luck this season.

Jack Moses
LevelChanger

Offline Jtm

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 06:28:53 pm »
Want to know how aggressive and effective your wrestlers on their feet? That's possible now without much effort.  We just added a Shot Counter to our scoring interface and a Success Rate metric to our stats library.

See here for more details:
http://www.levelchanger.com/blog/2016/11/14/shot-counter-and-success-rate