• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
Re: High Gut Technique?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »
Quote from: "acguns"
Quote from: "Rockhard"
What is the best way to defend the reverse lift?

Beat the lock. You beat the lock, they won't get it.

That would be great but it seems like many of the officials here won't let them start until the top guy is locked up.  From there we have kids that try to turn one hip down or try to turn in, wrap the waist and get a foot down.  I was just hoping that somebody had different solutions.  Thanks.

That's why you time it perfect. The minute the hands even touch, they are supposed to blow the whistle. Heck, most blow the whistle when the hands start to come together before they touch. Have your wrestlers look down at his hands before they start and when he sees them starting to come together, his your defensive move. Worse thing that will happen is you'll get a warning.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
Thanks, we're pretty good at getting warnings already.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »
Thanks, we're pretty good at getting warnings already.

I consider the warnings just like get a warning for stalling, You get one freebie, you might as well use it. Timing is everything on this, really. Another thing to consider is maybe working on a stand up as well. A lot of times kids are quick enough to hit a stand up, get thier lock and even score from there.

Another thing is looking at your opponents feet. If their feet are close together, circle towards the legs, far hip down, etc. If their legs are fairly apart, instead of circling, try this:

If they are lined up on your left, with legs apart, with your right leg, sit that leg out to the left, aiming to in betweem their legs, then flatten back out. This forces the far hip down quickly and often times, throws off their balance and they lose their footing. If they line up on the right, do the opposite.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »
It seems like you are having a problem with late whistles when the guy has the lock and your guys can't hip down.

From here you can try an inside leg standup, where your inside leg (usually your left) goes between his legs as you stand.  You have 2 main options from here.

1)Crossface and get away.  This is the more conservative option and is good for when your up by a point or two and just need to not get turned.

2)The second option is to get a reverse lock on your opponent on your way up.  This works especially well for lankier guys, since they have the leverage to take a guy off his feet based on height alone.  This is good for taller guys and for when you need a 3 or 5 point throw, since if you win the reverse lock battle you should get a feet to back toss no problem.

With that said, IMO the best defense is don't get into reverse lock.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »
Quote from: "nywrestler4life"
It seems like you are having a problem with late whistles when the guy has the lock and your guys can't hip down.

From here you can try an inside leg standup, where your inside leg (usually your left) goes between his legs as you stand.  You have 2 main options from here.

1)Crossface and get away.  This is the more conservative option and is good for when your up by a point or two and just need to not get turned.

2)The second option is to get a reverse lock on your opponent on your way up.  This works especially well for lankier guys, since they have the leverage to take a guy off his feet based on height alone.  This is good for taller guys and for when you need a 3 or 5 point throw, since if you win the reverse lock battle you should get a feet to back toss no problem.

With that said, IMO the best defense is don't get into reverse lock.

Good advice and like I said, beat the lock and you're good.

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
1. The key to any gut is forward movement
2. Butterfly grip IMO is best.
3. Start with head in the back and legs on each side
4. You do not want to give away which side you will go.
5. start driving forward with a tight grip. you want all his weight on his face or upper chest.
6. Start pressuring one way to see if he will commit to a defense. Then go the otherway.
7. Slight lift and throw your knee under the armpit to load then go...

Hard to make it visual I guess
Good points.

Also make sure you don't get so high with your feet they reach back and grab you behind the ankles.

you should use these tips so you can coach another junior high school champion and stick that on your resume  :lol:
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
Thanks V, Rock and nyw4l.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.  Now we have some things to work on. Thanks again.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Re:
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »
Quote from: "Jimmy the Gent"
Quote from: "Viratas"
1. The key to any gut is forward movement
2. Butterfly grip IMO is best.
3. Start with head in the back and legs on each side
4. You do not want to give away which side you will go.
5. start driving forward with a tight grip. you want all his weight on his face or upper chest.
6. Start pressuring one way to see if he will commit to a defense. Then go the otherway.
7. Slight lift and throw your knee under the armpit to load then go...

Hard to make it visual I guess
Good points.

Also make sure you don't get so high with your feet they reach back and grab you behind the ankles.

you should use these tips so you can coach another junior high school champion and stick that on your resume  :lol:

Hey Dummy, what a good idea.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline royboy

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • you gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »
a cool variation, trick, is mis direction.
once your in position(head in back of the neck, butterfly lock, legs extended)
-place one foot in line w/spine
-raise other foot as high as you can while building your body into a pyramid(creates more pressure forward)
-lean raised foot to the opposite side until its close to touching the mat(i call it loading the slingshot)
-rotate raised foot back over and into lower rib cage on opposite side as fast as you can
-cinch up the lock and hug opponents hips w/knees...

this is great for holding on for the extra exposure point and when your opponent fights to belly down you can take him the other way or sink in a leg and go for a turk or deer pose(stiener tilt)