Author Topic: Give Hendricks the title shot  (Read 2689 times)

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
Re: Give Hendricks the title shot
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
Could be, but The Cru may not consider him a Hawkeye.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »
McIlravy?

Yep, and McDonough is working on it.  I don't know if I should count Metcalf since he had to sit that year.  2/3 is only 1/12 less than 3/4. 
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
Crap GSP vs Silva is why I stopped following MMA. Who seriously believes a 170 pounder can match up against a 205 pounder? Just google Foster v Ali and see what a difference weight makes (though I'm sure you all know that). Dana's going to get someone crippled or killed sooner or later.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »
Crap GSP vs Silva is why I stopped following MMA. Who seriously believes a 170 pounder can match up against a 205 pounder? Just google Foster v Ali and see what a difference weight makes (though I'm sure you all know that). Dana's going to get someone crippled or killed sooner or later.

In your opinion Silva cuts 20 lbs but GSP walks around scratch?
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 08:13:34 PM »

In your opinion Silva cuts 20 lbs but GSP walks around scratch?

In that case I'm all for it as long as the fight takes place 3 minutes after they weigh in.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
No. Assume though both cut 20 and then rehydrate 20 for their fights in the respective weightclasses, it's now 190 vs 225. Still a beatdown. Looking at Silva I'd say he could cut to 190 and rehydrate to 220. This is crazy and a perfect indication why we need cage side weigh in. With diuretics and bagging the true weight of the combatants is unknown at fight time. Guys used to go up 5 to 7 pounds after weigh in, now a 205 er could be 225/230 a 170 pounder 190/200. Everything is cool as long as everyone is cheating, God Bless the guy fighting at scratch weight though. If the fight is made the respective commission should demand cage side weigh in.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
Silva's big but he doesn't cut down from 225 to 185.  And if this is at a catch of 178 ish, like has been talked about, he won't go up 47lbs by fight night.  There will be a size difference but I saw what Sonnen did to Andy Silver the first time around, GSP can take him down repeatedly even giving up the size.

Can he take a shot for him?  Probably not, but is Anderson Silva the kind of guy who is going to end GSP because of a size difference and nothing else, like you seem to think, I doubt it.  His game won't be to bully GSP to the ground, sit on his chest and whale away, he certainly may bludgeon him from the outside or with knees from the Thai Plum but this isn't a Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture size difference advantage. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »
At my heaviest I was 265 (no one ever guessed my weight because of my height/structure, long arms, long legs, long torso) at 6'43/4. I dropped to 220 after 77 days on Atkins, dropped to 200 on Atkins after a pause of a couple years, then as an experiment I cut from there to 185. I didn't look too good but I did it easy. With pharmaceuticals and a good chemist I'm sure in my youth I could cut from an in shape 230 to 185 and then gone back up. As I lack the requisite combat skills I'm sure no fighter would be threatened by me doing this; however, if I could do it a talented person sure could and God Bless the scratch 170 pound noob who signs to fight the 200 pounder. We need cage side weigh ins.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »
And again, GSP won't be and isn't a scratch 170.  There will be a size difference but your tilting at windmills if this is the fight you are going to cite as needing cage side weigh ins. 

And I'll give you one on the other side.  Gray Maynard is a HUGE LW, by fight time is probably 20 lbs heavier than Frankie Edgar.  How has that turned out?

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »
And again, GSP won't be and isn't a scratch 170.  There will be a size difference but your tilting at windmills if this is the fight you are going to cite as needing cage side weigh ins. 

And I'll give you one on the other side.  Gray Maynard is a HUGE LW, by fight time is probably 20 lbs heavier than Frankie Edgar.  How has that turned out?

Never said he was a scratch 170 pounder, my point is, absent cage side weigh in the only thing that occurs is an equilibrium shift. One athlete (GSP) comes in up and closer to his walking around weight. The other also fights at his walking around weight but not up. Someone like Silva may be much larger than you suspect, hence my mention of how no one ever guessed my weight when I was at my heaviest. Silva (other than being younger, having a lower skin reflectivity and being much more talented) reminds me of me. Long limbed and lanky, my torso being longer. Builds like this are tough to judge because of geometry, everyone thinks Silva walks around close to 205, I'm not too sure.

Consider plumbing, assume you have a business with an 8 inch sewer main going to the street. How many 4 inch vents would you need to equal the cross sectional area of the 8 inch line? The answer is 4, not 2. This is because the cross sectional area increases as a function of the square of the difference. How does this relate to Silva? Arms and leg muscle also conform to this law. Someone with long arms and long muscle bellies can look skinny but have alot more muscle/weight than is apparent. The mass is distributed over a greater cross sectional area. Perhaps a more apropos example would be a short person putting on 10 pounds and a tall person putting on 10 pounds. The weight gain is more noticeable on the short person, much less so on the tall.

Regarding Edgar, if the purpose of a fight is to determine the best 155 pounder, why should he fight a 170/175 pounder? Does anyone belive Maynard fought close to weight? When I heard Joe say Frankie should go down I flipped! How about this instead, weight 155 or less when fighting for the 155 title. I can see a 155 pounder gaining 5, not 25 after weigh ins.

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
I don't like the talk of a "superfight" with GSP vs. Silva. I think it will do nothing more than create a log-jam at their actual weighclasses.

Have the welterweight champ fight welterweights
Have the Middleweight champ fight middleweights
Have the light heavyweight champ fight lightheavies.

GSP vs. Hendricks -

Hendricks is a fantastic wrestler who has become an exciting striker. GSP started as a striker and then became one of the best MMA-wrestlers in the business. Should be a toss-up. Plus, since Zuffa is talking about GSP/Silva fighting in Cowboys Stadium, Hendricks lives and trains in the town Cowboys staudium is in. Plus, wrestling out of Oklahoma State (not too far away) could sell out the stadium.

Silva vs. Whomever is top dog at 185: Weidman vs. Boetch winner or Bisping vs. Belfort winner -

Silva fighting Weidman could sell. After all, Weidman recently lost his house due to Hurricane Sandy. They could make this fight very marketable. Plus, we all know that Bisping vs. Silva could sell out either in Brazil, the UK, or the US.

Plus, Silva stated he wants to take some time off. If they truly do wait for a year, it causes even more of a pause in TWO weightclasses.

Oh, and good call to whomever likened it to Bob Foster vs. the heavyweights of the 70's. 

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »

Never said he was a scratch 170 pounder, my point is, absent cage side weigh in the only thing that occurs is an equilibrium shift. One athlete (GSP) comes in up and closer to his walking around weight. The other also fights at his walking around weight but not up. Someone like Silva may be much larger than you suspect, hence my mention of how no one ever guessed my weight when I was at my heaviest. Silva (other than being younger, having a lower skin reflectivity and being much more talented) reminds me of me. Long limbed and lanky, my torso being longer. Builds like this are tough to judge because of geometry, everyone thinks Silva walks around close to 205, I'm not too sure.

Consider plumbing, assume you have a business with an 8 inch sewer main going to the street. How many 4 inch vents would you need to equal the cross sectional area of the 8 inch line? The answer is 4, not 2. This is because the cross sectional area increases as a function of the square of the difference. How does this relate to Silva? Arms and leg muscle also conform to this law. Someone with long arms and long muscle bellies can look skinny but have alot more muscle/weight than is apparent. The mass is distributed over a greater cross sectional area. Perhaps a more apropos example would be a short person putting on 10 pounds and a tall person putting on 10 pounds. The weight gain is more noticeable on the short person, much less so on the tall.

Regarding Edgar, if the purpose of a fight is to determine the best 155 pounder, why should he fight a 170/175 pounder? Does anyone belive Maynard fought close to weight? When I heard Joe say Frankie should go down I flipped! How about this instead, weight 155 or less when fighting for the 155 title. I can see a 155 pounder gaining 5, not 25 after weigh ins.

You realize that Silva fights at 185, right? He fought UP a weight at 205.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »

You realize that Silva fights at 185, right? He fought UP a weight at 205.

I've tried to point that out twice but I don't think he cares.  He also doesn't seem to care that Frankie beat Gray despite the size difference proving that being the bigger man in the cage or cutting a ton and trying to re-hydrate doesn't always equate to domination. 

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
And GSP walks around at 195 but is never out of shape. When Silva walks around over 200, he is flabby. That flabby weight doesn't count.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
Hendrix vs. Diaz would be another great fight, but Diaz is coming off a loss.  I hope Hendrix gets the title shot but if he doesn't he better fight again.  The UFC letting number 1 contenders and interim champs wait for their title shot without fighting again is a really bad precedent.