Author Topic:  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »
Ok here are some questions I suggest you consider. This is based on how I was coached and how I trained.

1. When drilling take downs for either style, do you allow your guys to just finish like the would do in a normal folkstyle practice, or do you make then finish by hitting a quick turn of some kind with out stopping (or as little as possible) as part of the finish?

2. How much time in spent on counter scoring?

3. How many guts do you practice each practice (50 min IMO)

4. Do you teach bottom defense or do you skim over it.

5. DO you use Micro matches?

6. How much time is spent on the basics (hand control, snaps, drags, ducks, slide by etc...)

7. When practicing turns is it one and done, or do you have them hit at least two in a row (a sequence)?

I am trying to get an idea of how guys are being trained input appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
Ok here are some questions I suggest you consider. This is based on how I was coached and how I trained.

1. When drilling take downs for either style, do you allow your guys to just finish like the would do in a normal folkstyle practice, or do you make then finish by hitting a quick turn of some kind with out stopping (or as little as possible) as part of the finish?

6. How much time is spent on the basics (hand control, snaps, drags, ducks, slide by etc...)

7. When practicing turns is it one and done, or do you have them hit at least two in a row (a sequence)?

In a perfect world, I would do all of what you listed. However, the problem I run into is all our my spring wrestlers do spring sports as well, so we only get about 3hr's of practice in and that is usually random at best.

When my sons get a little older, I will spend more time because they will be a little more focused on doing well. However, trying to get a group of HS kids to buy into that kind of training is difficult.

So, instead we simply work on the basics, defense, go over throws and only drill one days worth of greco right before the state meet. Seems to work for greco as we usually have more placers in greco than freestyle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rockhard »
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
Interesting thanks.

When thet drill do you have them hit turns on their finishes.

(Example: Single, to a leglace or etc...)?
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"College has become a cruel, expensive joke on the poor and the middle class, that benefits only the perpetrator of it." - Peter Gregory

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »

1. No
2. Not a great deal
3. maybe 10
4. Yes we teach it
5. Not sure what you're after but we use situation to scoring drills and some timed live from face off
6. This is probably a common emphasis
7. Sequence
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "Cougar1"

1. No
2. Not a great deal
3. maybe 10
4. Yes we teach it
5. Not sure what you're after but we use situation to scoring drills and some timed live from face off
6. This is probably a common emphasis
7. Sequence
Thanks Cougar,

1. I would suggest you ad the turns to your finishes I think you will see alot more points off of take downs.

3. I would suggest uping this (just my 2 cents)

5. Micro Matches. (One of the best training things I ever did). Say a normal match is 6-mins.

30 sec - on the feet
15 - Down
30 on feet
15 down

30 sec Break and then repeat above 2 more times.

The we would do some running (circle) start with a walk, then jog, then 15 sec sprint, then jog, then walk and do again (3 total)

Then 2 min break and start the cycle again.

You go through this 3 times total..
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »
1) We have not incorporated a turn off a TD in our room, but Brandon does this in his. We do it in a limited capacity off of a high dive, but not as part of our daily drilling.

2) Everything we work in a night on offence, we cover defence/ counters for, or try to.

3)Guts, more than I can keep track of, we do high, low and trapped arms every night.

4)Defence every night in accordance with what we worked.

5)We do live situations every night around our daily basics, and what ever we worked.

6)Our basics are covered almost as part of our warm up drilling.

7)We work multiple turns off our guts, and our leg lace to a lesser extent. We also work transition from 1 turn to the next. Like going to a trap arm when a guy pinches off while defending a reverse lift, or a low gut when he comes up to defend a leg lace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
We are actually in the middle of a change so I'm incorporating some of what we did at our normal FS/G practice with the new gym I've been taking the kid to. Keith Wilson, formerly with Army/Marines elite athlete, former World Team member has opened a gym here (Rough House MMA and Fitness). He's pretty much top notch as a coach but I really haven't had time to digest his system. I do like your ideas and appreciate you breaking it down like that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline N Stanley

• Junior High
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »

1. We do both.  Sometimes I let them just drill, sometimes we go over turning a 1pt takedown into 3.  We do the same during collegiate though.

2. Typically we spend a bunch of time on it although this season I spent a lot of time on stuff like slide bys, throw bys, russian tie series because we didn't get to cover it that much during the season.

3. We typically gut off of our takedowns, then we'll hit 20 shadow guts and 20 guts (10 each side).  We'll also work on trapped arm guts, etc and have them drill those, although I'm not terribly picky about counting these.

4. We spend quite a bit of time here if we have a lot of competitive kids.  This year we had a lot of young guys who were only there to get some mat time and weren't interested in competing.  

5. No

6. This year, a bunch, but like I said, most of our kids were there to get mat time and not prepare for Greco/Freestyle.  I made sure that every technique we showed had some carry over into folkstyle.

7.  We teach a series such as gut to a turk to trapped arm guts, or trapped arm gut, hold for the point, gut again.  The kids certainly drill guts in bunches because they're trying to get them out of the way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by N Stanley »

Offline GangGreenWC

• Bantam
    • View Profile
    • http://sites.google.com/site/ganggreenwc/
Re: Questions to guys who Coach Free and Greco
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:20:48 PM »
We drill scoring patterns. I learned this from a MN Storm coach.
Think about what you want to turn with after a takedown.
Logical choice:
Single leg to lace
Double to gut and gut variations. We do this after drilling all takedowns which we do like this
Single leg scoring 1 -:30
Single leg scoring 3 -:30
Double leg scoring 1 -:30
Double leg scoring 3 -:30
Continues thru basic takedowns

In this system it forces two things
The offensive man should try to score 3, but the defender should only be giving up 1 during time for 1 pt. scores.
The offensive man must overexaggerate on his 3 pt. takedowns to score them. The exaggeration of technique is often overlooked during drilling in the spring and summer.

We have a time for hard drilling, but during the opening minutes when drills start they should focus on position and finsing ways to get the 3 or not give it up.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:27:46 PM »
I can see youlearned some from a storm coach. I am a product of the system.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline GangGreenWC

• Bantam
    • View Profile
    • http://sites.google.com/site/ganggreenwc/
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 12:40:17 AM »
The timed scoring systems are my own creation, I am sure someone, somewhere used them. The scoring patterns are courtesy of Joe Periera. I learned a lot from him in one summer when we took the first Delaware Jr. Duals team to OKC.

Offline royboy

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • you gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
Yes, we break down drill time in three levels.
Level 1-set up and get to the legs
Level 2-Set up, get to the legs and Finish
Level 3-Setup, finish, gut or lace

not much
30 guts 30 laces during level 3 drilling plus we do 15 min. live par terre
at the beginning of the year we just teach basic stuff like spread you legs and look into the turn. at the end of the year when training for regionals fargo and duals we go into depth b/c there are about half the bodies and more room on the mat
we do 4 person groups and 30 second goes feet and par terre
tons of hand control, snaps and drags. a few ducks, not too many slide bys.
mostly one and done, but i like them to combo different turns.
crotch throw to olympic
leg turk to crotch throw
gut to lift and throw(not so much anymore now that you can continue gutting)
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."