Author Topic: UFC 155  (Read 2680 times)

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
UFC 155
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
I only got to watch the last two fights live, but followed the rest.  Lauzon vs. Milller was one of the best fights of the year imo.  Lauzon is easily my favorite non-wrestler in MMA right now.  He always goes for the finish and just seems like he loves to fight.

Cain vs. Dos Santos did not go how i expected it, but once Cain landed the overhand right the fight was basically over.  Clinch work and wrestling in the next 4 rounds ensured that JDS would not get his cardio back.  JDS looked for that knockout uppercut a few times but didn't have the energy to land it with force.  I wanted Cain to stand in the middle and box in the last few rounds and look for the finish but still a very good fight. 

Only downside to Cain winning is it may prevent Cormier from fighting for the title.  Unless of course he decides to drop down to Light Heavyweight where I think he would have a legitimate shot against Jones.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
Re: UFC 155
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
I like DC, but I honestly don't think he can hang with Jones.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »
Jones can be defeated with footwork, he reminds me of an supersized BJ Penn.....great jab coming forward, great jab if you come straight forward...however, he hasn't shown me anything against someone who circles or can slip much less has footwork. Still need cage side weigh in!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:26:47 PM by ocianain »
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »
But who has DC faced that has anywhere near Jones' standup ability? Nobody. And, this isn't a straight boxing match.  Jones brings a lot more to the table than a jab. He throws elbows like punches, not something people are used to defending. Not to mention, who knows how DC would handle the cut. Jones is perfect for 205 and too dynamic.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:42 PM »
I mentioned cage side weigh in for a reason....I'm Jones height and have been all over as regards weight (185 to 265) he looks like a huge 205 pounder to me (Foreman first time around was 215 to 220, how does a cage ready Jones look like to a young George IYO?) IMHO Jones best quality isn't athleticism (everyone at his level has that) it's his coachability and that has many manifestations. As he now stands he can be defeated with footwork, as he has none. He seems smart though, assuming good coaching they should remove his lack of motion/footwork. Lacking that removal he is beatable....remember when everyone thought Bjj was the bomb and someone mentioned the jab.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
The cageside weigh-ins is a moot point, though. It's not happening. Everybody is beatable; I just don't see DC doing it. It's one thing to identify a weakness. It's another to have the right person to exploit it. Pretty much every MMA fighter can be defeated in standup by footwork, yet it's not that easy.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
I think if DC can get down there the gameplan would be to take it to the ground.  I think DC could be the first guy to really take it to jones in the wrestling department.  He is on another level from Rashad in wrestling.  The hardest part will be closing the distance on Jones with his reach advantage, but I think this is where Jones' poor footwork come in.  Cormier can close the distance and take it to the ground.  From top I think he can hold Jones down and land punches all day.  Obviously its not a given but he has a better shot than Sonnen or Henderson.  Henderson will try to land the H-bomb for a round then run out of gas and Sonnen isn't at the same wrestling level as Cormier.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:54:03 AM »
The cageside weigh-ins is a moot point, though. It's not happening. Everybody is beatable; I just don't see DC doing it. It's one thing to identify a weakness. It's another to have the right person to exploit it. Pretty much every MMA fighter can be defeated in standup by footwork, yet it's not that easy.

True 'dat

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
Jones can be defeated with footwork, he reminds me of an supersized BJ Penn.....great jab coming forward, great jab if you come straight forward...however, he hasn't shown me anything against someone who circles or can slip much less has footwork. Still need cage side weigh in!

If footwork was Jones weakness, then Machida would be champ right now. I do believe an overhand right is always capable of taking out a tall fighter. Cormier has that, as well as the respect on the ground. Jones knows Cormier can take him to the ground if it really came down to it, though Jones would shrug off most of them. The likelihood  of Cormier landing a bomb is probably better than Hendo's chances. Henderson pretty much telegraphs it. Cormier just times that looping overhand right very well, and it usually launches from your blind side. But regardless, Cormier's chances are still slim.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Good points regarding a big right against a tall guy, never really thought Machida had good footwork though, he hopped about and covered too much ground when he moved. Talented fighter though.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline royboy

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • you gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
Anyone else think Cain head butts more than holyfield
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."