Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
(No subject)
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
From another board.

Lewboo: tripster i don't turn 50 until June 7th so i might as well wrestler one tournament while i am young.  I still think I'm pretty darn tough, and i have a lot of people who want to watch me one last time.  Ask around with people who know, i may not win, but i will very honorably represent.  I am still very healthy, shape is questionable, but  4 minute matches with little to no actione suit me just fine.  I still have some special skills that i intend to show in Cedar Falls.  I still think I am the Toughest Kid on the Block.  I just want to have a little fun and wrestle one last time.  I expect to surprise!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rockhard »
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »
I hope he kick the crap out of a bunch of young guys, and shut up all the kids who say wrestling was easy back then, because everyone was so bad.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Drooke

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
I can't wait for someone to shoot on him.

Seriously though I hope Lewboo does........very well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Drooke »

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
I hope someone records it because it'll be sick to see him wrestle once again.

Drooke

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
I'm sure it will be.

Hey Rock on a completely unrelated note..........Happy Birthday.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Drooke »

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:57:57 AM »
[doHTML]<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/gq1l_pR4j6Yg%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="360" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>[/doHTML]

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »
Great interview. This could be fun.  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Cougar1 »
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Touchfall

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Randy Lewis to lace up shoes one more time
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
I wish him luck but do not think he will be competitive vs top young wrestlers. I will definitely watch his matches in CB.

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »
He is not in CB.  He is at Senior Nationals in Waterloo.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
This is unreal. Lewboo is my hero (also Palin). He is alluding to his great essay "Toughest Kid on the Block" in this post. That was a great great essay.

Offline Palin_JoeThePlumber_2012

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
Here is the essay:

The Toughest Kid on the Block
By Randy Lewis

In the fall of 1969, Jim Brandt, the gym teacher at Meadowbrook Grade
School in Rapid City, South Dakota announced that in six weeks all students were
going to take the President’s Physical Fitness Test. He posted the school records for
each event. He told all of the 5th graders to try and pick out one record and see if
any of us could beat it.

I saw that the school record for chin-ups was 18. I tried to see how many I
could do. I did 12! When I went home that day, I told my dad about it. He said,
“Why don’t you try doing 12 every day for a week, and then the next week, do 13
every day and then the next week do 14 every day until you get up to 18.”

I listened to him, and by the time of the fitness test, I could do 18 chin-ups. I
tied the school record.

I also started wrestling that year for the first time. I became the school
champion at the lightest weight class of 65 pounds. I knew only three moves, the
double leg, half nelson, and the stand up. Jim Brandt and my dad, Larry Lewis took a
bunch of us kids to the AAU Age-Group kid’s regionals to qualify for the state
tournament. In my first official tournament, I went 5-0 and won the regional. From
there it was on to the state tournament.

As I warmed up with the other wrestlers before the tournament started, I was
in awe of competing against the best kids in the state. Some of them had been
wrestling for three or four years. They had medals on their jackets, too.

I went and told my dad that some of these kids looked tough with their
medals. With all their experience, I didn’t think I could win. My dad said “They might
look tough, but I’ll bet none of them can do 18 chin-ups like you can.”

He also told me not to think of them as the best kids in the state. He said
what if they were from Rapid City, and they went to Meadowbrook Grade School, and
what if they lived right next door to us?If you couldn’t beat them, then you wouldn’t
be Meadowbrook school champion, and you wouldn’t be the toughest kid on your
own block. He said, “you are the toughest kid on the block aren’t you?”

I smiled, and said, “I sure am!”

Before my first match, I asked my opponent, a kid named Dan Blye, if this
was his first state tournament. He said that last year he got second place. Feeling a
little more nervous, I asked him how many chin-ups he could do. When he said 16, I
felt better.

Knowing I was stronger than he was convinced me that I could overcome his
experience, and beat him. I can vividly remember thinking that if he lived in Rapid
City, if he went to my grade school, and if he lived next door to me, I could beat
him. I knew I was the toughest kid on the block.

When the referee blew the whistle, I immediately shot in on a double-leg and
would not let go. The matches then were two 2-minute periods, both starting on the
feet. I ended up winning the match 4-1, getting both takedowns, and losing a point
for choking.

I had five more matches that day, and I won them all by scores of 4-1, or 4-
2, or 4-3. In every match I got points against me for locking hands or choking. I got
every takedown and I would not let go once I got on top.

Before every match, I asked my opponent how many chin-ups he could do.
Not one could do 18, like I could do. I also remembered to think about every match,
not as if I was going up against the best kids in the state, but I brought them back in
my mind to Rapid City. To Meadowbrook grade school, and all the way right next
door. To my block.

At the end of the day, not only was I the South Dakota State champion at 60
pounds, but I was still the toughest kid on the block.

The next year, I went on to repeat as state champion at 65 pounds. From
there, it was on to my first national tournament in Miles City, Montana. While I was
warming up I saw a mean-looking kid with a crew cut about my size.

I went up and said hello and asked him what weight class he was wrestling.
He said he was at 65 pounds and he was going to easily win the tournament. He said
he was a two-time state champion from Wyoming and had never lost a match.

I told him I was a two-time state champion from South Dakota, and I had
never lost either. He said he was going to easily beat me, and I had never had any
kid tell me that before. I figured he must really be tough to go around telling other
kids he was going to whip them. (This was the days before Muhammed Ali.)

I went over to the brackets to see who I had to wrestle, and wouldn’t you
know it, I had the two-time state champion from Wyoming. Truth be told, I was
scared. Then I asked the kid how many chin-ups he could do? When he said he could
do 18, I smiled.

By now, I had set the Meadowbrook school record with 20 chin-ups. I knew I
was stronger than the kid from Wyoming was. I remembered that if he were from
South Dakota, if I couldn’t beat him, I wouldn’t be a two-time state champion. What
if he was from Rapid City, and went to Meadowbrook grade school? What if he lived
on the same block as me?

If I couldn’t beat him, I wouldn’t be the toughest kid on the block. Well, I got
fired up and went out and whipped the kid from Wyoming 16-0, on the way to
winning the tournament. Not only was I now a national champion, but I was still the
toughest kid on the block.

It was this mindset that I continued to have great success, winning national
titles at every age-group and winning the NCAA’s as a sophomore and making the
world team as a true freshman. That took me to January 1980.

That was my junior year in college. In the middle of the college season, I
went to Russia to wrestle in the toughest tournament in the world, the Tbilisi
Tournament. This meet is considered tougher than the world championships or the
Olympics, because so many Russians entered. The Russians at the time as they are
now, were considered the best freestyle wrestlers in the world.

At the time, I was 20 years old, and wrestled at 136.5 pounds. Gene Mills and
myself were the only two collegiate wrestlers to make this trip. At the time, I was a
junior in college and thought I was the best wrestler in college at any weight.

I was the only collegiate wrestler at that time who had made both the world
team and had won a NCAA title. While Mills was also a NCAA champion, he had not
yet made a world team. I considered myself to be a better wrestler than Gene Mills.

What I saw from Gene Mills on this trip totally astounded me. “Mean Gene the
Pinning Machine” as he became known, went on a tear. Wrestling at 114.5 pounds,
Mills went 8-0 in the Tbilisi tournament, with 7 pins. In the finals, he was ahead 18-0
when they cautioned the Russian out of the match for stalling. I went 0-3 against the
Russians and 5-0 against other foreigners on this trip.

Mills was pinning Russians right and left. How was he doing it, I asked
myself? He was getting really psyched up before each match, saying I’m going to pin
this Russian, I’m going to tear him up, nobody can go the distance with me.

I remember thinking, these are the Russians he is talking about, the best
wrestlers in the world. How can he think he can pin them and beat them so easily? I
thought, I am better than Gene, why is he pinning these Russians, and I am losing to
them.
And then it hit me.

Mills was pinning these Russians and I wasn’t for the simple reason that he
believed he would pin them. I was thinking, these are the best wrestlers in the
world, how can I beat them? After the tournament, I remember thinking that if Gene
Mills can pin these Russians, then so can I.

A few months later, the United States and the Soviet Union had a dual meet
in my hometown, Rapid City, South Dakota. I was picked to wrestle for the United
States team against the best Russian wrestler at 136.5 pounds, Victor Alexeev, a
two-time world champion.

At the time, my record against the Russians was 0-5. Back in my hometown,
my dad and all my friends all asked how I thought I could do against the Russian. I
told them all I was going to pin him. They all said Randy, “how can you say you are
going to pin the Russian? He is the best in the world, and you have never beaten a
Russian.”

I told them, “Last night I looked through my old high school scrapbooks, and
I counted all the matches I wrestled here in Rapid City in high school. I was 50-0
with 48 pins, and I won the other 2 matches by scores of 12-0 and 23-2. That’s what
I do in Rapid City is pin people.”

And then I looked at my dad and told him, “Dad, tomorrow night, I am not
going to be wrestling the best wrestler in the world. I’m going to be wrestling
another kid who may have grown up in Rapid City, and may have gone to
Meadowbrook grade school, and may have lived right next door to me, and tomorrow
night we are going to see who really is the toughest kid on the block.”

Over 7,000 fans showed up the next night to watch the dual meet between
the United States and the Soviet Union. The Russians won the first 3 matches before
I stepped on the mat against Victor Alexeev. They had the momentum going their
way.
Two minutes later, when I threw Alexeev on his back, I heard the loudest roar
I had ever heard, only to be eclipsed 20 seconds later when the referee called the
fall. With victories by Lee Kemp, Chris Campbell, Ben Peterson, and Larry Bielenberg
(over 2-time Olympic champion Ivan Yarygin), the United States scored our first-
ever dual meet victory over the Soviet Union.

My father, Larry Lewis organized the event, and former USA Wrestling
Executive Director and now head of the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC), Jim
Scherer has said it is still the most successful USA–Russia dual meet he had ever
seen.

After the meet, I hugged my dad and told him I was still THE TOUGHEST KID
ON THE BLOCK.

Drooke

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
I absolutely LOVE Lewboo stories.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »
Here's another:

Cutting Weight, the Dark Side of WrestlingBloged in News and Information by Randy Lewis Wednesday November 2, 2005

Cutting weight, the dark side of wrestling. Almost everyone who has ever wrestled, with the exception of some heavyweights, has had to cut weight at some point in their careers. Many wrestlers, at all levels, have at times cut way more than they should have. At times in my career, I also fell into this category. Most wrestlers have their own “weight cutting stories,” and in this article I will regale you with a few of my own.

This article will not discuss the proper diet, nor will it discuss the correct way to slowly lose weight, but rather it will give you some of my insights and thoughts as to why myself and others cut weight, and how it affected both our mental and physical abilities. To me, cutting weight has always been the hardest part of wrestling, both physically, and especially mentally.

In high school, I wrestled at or near my natural weight, cutting only 3 or 4 pounds during my season. During the summers, for junior nationals, I would sometimes cut 7 or 8 pounds, but nothing that was too difficult. In college, and international competition, that would change dramatically. At times, I believe I cut too much weight, and when that happened, it took a mental and physical toll.

Throughtout my fifteen years wrestling and coaching with Dan Gable at the University of Iowa, coaches J Robinson and Dan Gable put me and others through thousands of very tough and very physical workouts. I was able to go through all of them, and never break mentally. However, when it came to cutting weight, it was a different story. I have seen the toughest wrestlers in the world break mentally from cutting too much weight. Cutting weight will always be a part of our sport, no matter what rules go into effect. I do like most of the new rules that help to cut down on the amount of weight that wrestlers lose.

In high school and college wrestling, weight cutting has changed dramatically because of the new rules. With colleges and high schools outlawing saunas and plastics, weighing in one hour before matches, and the new hydration rules, the amount of weight cutting, particularly by dehydration, has been significantly reduced. When I look back on my college career, I wish these new rules had been in place then. In college, I wrestled two years at 126 and two years at 134, with a five-hour weigh-in for duals and night-before weigh-ins for tournaments. If I were wrestling under today’s rules, I would have wrestled at 133 for two years and at 141 for two years, and that would have been seven pounds that I did not have to sweat off for every meet.

I find it interesting that while high school and colleges have made rules to eliminate or reduce weight cutting, in international wrestling, FILA has made rules that have forced some wrestlers to make a very difficult decision to cut even more weight than in the past. By dropping down to seven weight classes, and having only one weigh-in for tournaments, the night before, they are forcing some wrestlers to cut a ton of weight.

With only seven weight classes internationally, some great wrestlers have been forced to make a very difficult decision to either cut an extreme amount of weight, or to have to add considerable muscle mass, which I believe could lead to a sharp increase in the use of steroids.

I think wrestling has been a sport where steroid use has been kept to a minimum, but with only seven weight classes, a wrestler “caught” in between weight classes may make the decision to “juice” to move up a weight class, and that is more likely to happen with fewer weight classes, and too much weight between weight classes. It is my belief that FILA should go back to 10 weight classes for the world championships, and then go to 7 for the Olympics if necessary. FILA has no chance to reinstate weight classes at the Olympics if we don’t already have them for the world championships.

What I want to do in this article, is give some of my thoughts on weight cutting, both now and in the past, but before I do that, I would just like to share some “old school” weight cutting stories from the past, to give you the perspective that I am coming from.

Starting Easy. Getting Harder

When I first came to the University of Iowa, I had never really cut much weight. My freshman year, at the start of the season, I made the starting lineup at 126 pounds. The most I had ever weighed at the start of the season was 135 pounds, and at the beginning of the year in college, they give a three pound weight allowance. I was usually only one or two pounds over weight after every practice, making weight was very easy.

However, I was a growing boy, and as the season progressed, every week I kept getting bigger and bigger until the week before the Big Ten tournament I weighed 141 pounds. At the NCAA’s and at the Big Ten’s, you have to make scratch weight. All of a sudden, I was 15 pounds over. At the beginning of the year, I only had to cut 6 pounds, but at the end of the year I was wrestling at the same weight, but had to cut 15 pounds. I was not used to cutting weight, and it was very hard for me to make weight for both the Big Tens and the NCAA’s.

At the NCAA’s, after the second round, I was 7 1/2 pounds overweight. I had never cut more than 6 pounds in one workout. At the time, you could weigh-in either that night or the next morning. I had about 3 hours to make weight, which should have been plenty of time.

Sleeping with Gable

I worked out for about an hour and lost about five pounds, and then I mentally broke, and decided to make weight the next morning. I went and drank a quart of gatorade and showered up, thinking I’d just weigh in the next morning. I knew I had to avoid Gable and the other coaches, or they would make me make weight that night.

With about 45 minutes left to weigh-in, Gable found out I was planning on making weight the next morning and he quickly grabbed me and said your making weight tonight. He got me in the sauna, (he was in his street clothes) and got me doing all sorts of exercises. When time ran out, I was still 1/4 pound over the weight. I had to make weight the next morning, and Gable didn’t let me out of his sight, making me spend the night in his room.

I made weight the next morning and went on to place second that year in the NCAA’s. That would just be the first of many times I broke cutting weight. That summer, I would cut from 144 pounds down to 125.5 pounds to make the world team and wrestle in the world championships. Making weight that summer and the next year in college would prove to be very difficult, and very tough mentally. I probably broke mentally about four or five times that summer, and here are a couple of those stories.

Randy’s Mental Breakdown at the Drowning Pool

It was a hot, humid summer day in early July in Iowa City, about two weeks before the world team trials. I weighed 138.5 pounds before practice. That was 13 pounds over. Coach Gable was having a cookout at his house that night, with the team and friends and boosters all coming. Gable knew I was struggling with my weight, and he told me I couldn’t come to the party until I got my weight down to 130 pounds.

After going through the wrestling practice, I weighed 132 1/2. It was about 100 degrees out, and very humid, and I put on my plastics and went for a run around Iowa City’s Finkbine golf course. About half way around the course, I was really hot and really thirsty, and I broke mentally. I pulled off my plastics and the rest of my gear except for my shorts, and tried to cut back across the golf course to walk back to the gym. When I got by the clubhouse, I saw the swimming pool. I was so hot and thirsty, that I jumped into the pool to cool off. I was so thirsty, that I just stuck my head under water and drank what seemed like a gallon of pool water.

Only after I drank my fill, did I look up and realize that mounted on the wall was a drinking fountain, with ice-cold, clean drinking water. I never did make 130 that day, but Gable let me come to the cookout that night anyway. As I sipped on my first Miller Lite that night, it not only tasted great and was less filling, but a thought ran through my head. You know, that pool water tasted even better than this Miller Lite.

A few weeks later, out in Squaw Valley, California, I had to make scratch weight four days in a row, to make the world team. Making weight was so hard, that every day after I made weight I honestly didn’t even care if I won my matches. I remember vividly thinking, well if I lose I don’t have to make weight again. Somehow, I managed to make weight all four days, and when I faced 1976 Olympian Joe Corso on the final day, I had pinned all of my opponents up until then.

After struggling hard to make weight four days in a row, I went out and got pinned by Joe Corso in 12 seconds in the first match in a two out of three. I remember thinking, man, I cut all this weight for 4 straight days and then get pinned in 12 seconds. I thought no way did I lose all this weight and work so hard to be the alternate. After the last weigh-ins were over, it suddenly seemed very important again to win. That afternoon I went out and won 11-7 and then pinned Corso to make the team. I broke many times that summer, pulling off my sweats and dipping my head in pools and streams up in the mountains, but in the end it made me a lot mentally tougher. After that, I became a much better weight cutter, and I learned a few lessons from the King of the Cutter himself, Bruce Kinseth.

The King of the Cutters

My sophomore year in college, I wrestled over half my matches at 134 pounds, but the second half cut down to 126. It was a big cut for me, and Bruce Kinseth (incidentally the brother of NASCAR champion Matt Kenseth), the self proclaimed King of the Cutters took me under his wing and showed me how it was done. Kinseth was in phenomonal shape, and at 6 feet was very tall and skinny for a 150 pounder. I had never seen anyone who could sweat like Kinseth. He could easily lose ten pounds in just one hour. At the time, I could only lose five or six pounds in an hour. Bruce’s philosophy which he gave to me was “You can’t cut weight on an empty stomach.” What he meant by that was that he would rather be 12 over and full, than 10 over and hungry.

Bruce would come in to practice the day before a meet 11 or 12 pounds over, and he would work out for an hour and 15 minutes and get down to weight. Then he would go eat a big dinner and drink liquids and he would come back that night 10 or 11 pounds over again, work out and lose it all, and then show up 6-10 pounds over the next day about an hour before weigh-ins. He would lose the weight and then gain back between 10 and 13 pounds before his match that night five hours later. I could only do about half of that, and was amazed at Kinseth’s ability to lose and gain weight.

One day about two hours before weigh-ins, I was farther over than Kinseth. I was 6 1/2 over, and Bruce was five pounds over. I was all bummed out being so far over, and Kinseth said, “Lewboo, will it make you feel any better if I drink a couple pounds of water so I’m farther over than you?” I said “Yeah it would.” Bruce then went and drank two pounds of water, and got back on the scale. He was 7 pounds over. 35 minutes later, Bruce was on weight. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to lose my 6 1/2 pounds.

That year (1979) Bruce and I were selected to wrestle in the All-Star meet in Corvallis, Oregon. We had just wrestled in two duals meets that weekend at Michigan and Michigan State. Bruce and I both wrestled up a weight in bot of those duals. Afterwards, we drove to Chicago and were eating and drinking liquids the whole way. We then flew to Oregon and arrived on Sunday night. We were scheduled to weigh-in on Tuesday afternoon. They were giving a five pound weight allowance for the meet, and when we arrived in Oregon I weighed 143 pounds, and Bruce weighed 174 pounds.

Bruce was 19 pounds over the 5 pound allowance. He weighed more than the 167 pounders. Bruce’s body was full of liquids, and he lost 14 pounds in one workout. The next day, in the morning, Bruce and I worked out, I got down to 3 over, and Bruce got down to 2 over. We then had a big lunch, and went to practice later that afternoon. Bruce was 11 over, and I was 9 3/4 pounds over. Weigh-ins weren’t scheduled until noon on Tuesday, so I was in good shape.

However, all the other wrestlers were very close to weight, and they all wanted to weigh-in after practice, and not have to the next day. Bruce and I both agreed to it. Bruce worked out for an hour and 15 minutes, and made weight, losing 11 pounds. Less than 24 hours earlier he had been 19 pounds over. I lost my 9 3/4 pounds, but it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes, and I was hurting. Once again, Bruce had shown why he was called the King of the Cutters. Bruce and I both won the NCAA’s that year, and Bruce pinned everyone he wrestled at the Big Ten’s and the NCAA’s, earning the Outstanding Wrestler Award, along with a tremendous amount of respect. Three years later, Bruce would win the U.S. Open at 180.5 pounds, beating Dave Schultz in the finals.

Another big 150 pounder that Iowa had around that time was two-time NCAA champion Chuck Yagla, who once missed making weight at the U.S. Open at 149.5 pounds by a quarter of a pound. Chuck then wrestled at 163, and had to cut weight the second day of the tournament to make 163. He still won the tournament.

Why cut weight?

Most wrestlers cut weight because they don’t want to have to compete against bigger wrestlers. Some want to be that bigger wrestler. For most wrestlers, they cut to give themselves the best chance to win. Some do it for the team. Some do it to make the team, and some do it to avoid a specific opponent.

Troy Steiner was the defending NCAA champion his senior year at 142 pounds, and was undefeated and ranked number 1. For the team he cut down to 134 pounds so Lincoln Mclravy could come out of redshirt and cut to 142 pounds. Lincoln ended up winning the NCAA’s at 142, while Troy Steiner ended up third at 134, losing to Cary Kolat in the semifinals. The next year, Darryl Weber was Iowa’s 158 pounder for the first half of the season. Gable pulled Joe Williams out of redshirt, and Weber cut down to 142 to make the team and become an All-American. Two years later, Weber would win the NCAA’s at 167 pounds.

When I did cut weight in college, I wanted to keep my size and strength, and I tried to weigh as close to my normal weight by the time I stepped out on the mat to compete. Back under the old rules, I believe that as a team, Iowa had the advantage over other teams because we were able to recover and gain our size back faster than other teams. My sophomore year of college, I won the NCAA’s at 126 pounds, and when I wrestled in the finals I weighed 142 pounds. The next year, when I won at 134 pounds, I weighed 143 pounds before the finals.

For the mental aspect of cutting weight, wrestling against John Azevedo, I felt like I was a full weight class bigger than him when we stepped out on the mat. John had wrestled at 118 pounds the year before, and I just knew in my heart that I was going to be way too big for him. We were both in great shape, but I ended up wearing him out in the third period and won 20-14, because of my size. If I did cut weight, I wanted it to help my mental preparation, not hurt it.

Throughout my career, whenever I cut a lot of weight, I used to believe I could recover and win by being bigger, and stronger, which I talked about in my article ” Mind Games”, which I wrote last year. If I wasn’t cutting weight, I would use that to think that my opponent would be too sucked down to beat me. To me, cutting weight was mostly mental. When I first started cutting weight, I wasn’t very good at it, and I broke several times, but later I got better at it, and it made me a lot tougher mentally. However, if I had it to do over again, I would always move up a weight when in doubt.

Some of the most legendary weight cutters that I know of did just as well when they moved up a weight class, some when they moved up several. Gene Mills won Tibilisi at 114.5, and was a legendary weight cutter. He later got fat and happy, and still made a world team at 136.5, and won the Midlands at 142 pounds. Melvin Douglas cut hard to make 180.5 and 16 years later took Steve Mocco to overtime at heavyweight. Bruce Kinseth won the US Open at 180.5, Mark Churella moved up two weight classes in one year at the NCAA’s and won his third title. Rick Sanders did just as good at 125.5 as he did at 114.5. Looking at the careers of many great wrestlers, they almost all do well when they outgrow a weight class and don’t make that huge cut.

In 1989, I cut to 136.5 for the last time, and I felt like I was going to die. After that, I moved up to 149.5 for good. While I never made a world team at 149.5, I did beat several world medalists and a world champion twice at that weight. I wish I had gone up to 149.5 sooner, rather than later. Weight cutting has caused many wrestlers to quit the sport too soon. If I had it to do over again, after 1984 I would have taken two years off to party and lift weights, and then gone 149.5, rather than cutting to 136.5 again. So, all you young wrestlers out there, leave the big weight cutting to us “Old School” idiots, and don’t try this at home, remember we were trained professionals.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »
"I am STILL the toughest kid on the block."  What a great attitude/quote.  I would never count an olympic gold medalist out.  ESPECIALLY with his style of wrestling.  With a go go go brands / gable style of beat you up and hi-c then double time really takes it's toll on you.  To wrestle at  a high level with that style you have to be on point and in shape, alittle out of shape and a half of step off is the difference between winning or getting humiliated and throwing up after the match.  Lewboo's defensive/counter offense style works perfectly for the out of shape since he is always working for points off someone else's shot / offense.  So instead of tiring himself out, he takes advantage of his opponents hard work to create opportunities for himself.
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline Greco Johnson

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
Great articles!  Whatever happens at the tournament, Randy certainly will be in it.  I think he's too much of a competitor not to... uh... be competitive.  :-)
Greco Johnson is right!*

<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>*"Greco Johnson is right!" is the popular opinion of the citizens of Rock Ridge. Mr. Johnson knows that he is a sinful, fallible human being, and could not possibly be right 100% of the time.</span>