Author Topic: "So, I'm a wrestling mom"  (Read 1167 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
"So, I'm a wrestling mom"
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
"When you have a child with a disability," she explained, "the first thing that happens (as a parent) is that you might be excluded because your child is different. And that's as hard for us as it is for the kids. But because he fits in, I get to fit in as well. So I'm a wrestling mom.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130124/SPORTS01/701249766/1004/SPORTS

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
Re: "So, I'm a wrestling mom"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
Thanks for posting this article, guest.

I love this kind of stories. Over the many years I been involve in this sport I have witness many Athletes with disability's that have excel in this sport. That's why this sport is the best in the world IMO. Any kid who wants to wrestle can do it. I also believe many kids with Down Syndrome are some of the smartest kid you'll ever meet. Most if not all do integrated well into our society as adults.
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:31:44 AM »
For as physical as this sport is, I have never heard of a disability being excluded from competition.

Offline regulator130

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »
Great article! Thanks for sharing!

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
Several years ago my son's coach brought in a special needs kid (mild retardation but very functional) to be a manager. His name was James and he was no shrinking violet and often brought some levity to a sometimes stressful situation. For instance, my son was at a tournament had just gotten hammered by a kid he has beaten the week before. As he came back into the stands after the match I tried going up to him to offer some words of encouragement but Pat was very pissed and in very few words told me to get lost, so I went and set down a few rows back.  Thats when James walked up....

JAMES: Sooo PATRICK (his voice inflection was very animated), how did you do?

PATRICK (I can almost see him reminding himself of James's situation): Well James, I lost.

JAMES: WELL... next time you'll have to try HARDER!

PATRICK (now grudgingly smiling at James and the situation) : Yeah James.... I guess you're right.

Thats when I fully realized the good deed Coach Bollenback did by allowing James to be a part of the team wasnt just for James.

After 4 years of being a part of the Edmond North Huskies, James has taken his wrestling manager career to a higher level. He is now one of the team managers of the currently 3rd ranked University of Central Oklahoma and he now sits at the end of the bench to cheer on his Bronchos.

Kudos to Bolly and to David James.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:17:14 AM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell