Author Topic: Rules On Weighing In  (Read 1277 times)

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Rules On Weighing In
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »
Rule 4-5-3 states that weigh ins will start with the first weight class and proceed upward with previous weight classes being "closed".

I don't see the point in this.

Why not just let everybody weigh in and you are eligible for 2 weight classes. The lowest weight class that you are under and the next higher one up. No "closing" of weight classes. Just line up and weigh in. You could still go lightest to heaviest or by team but don't screw kids out of opportunities because they don't know what they weigh ahead of time.

The only thing the current rule seems to accomplish is that kids weigh in at the wrong weight class and therefore limit their options. I don't see any positives in this.

Please let me know if there are any.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:07:28 pm by red viking »
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Rules On Weighing In
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:07 pm »
I suspect the advantage is that it obliges the athletes to line up in order.  Otherwise, there's really nothing keeping the lightweight from showing up last.  If someone complains, he just says, "I'm weighing in at heavyweight", and then, "Oops!  Looks like I'm at 106; my mistake."

So, basically, it just keeps things orderly.  Flexibility and order are often incompatible goals.

Generally, when an athlete is mistaken about what he weighs, he weighs more than he thought.  This rule is no trouble in such cases.  The rule is an issue if the athlete really has no idea that he's a full weight class lighter than he thought (probably a very rare occurance) or when he's not paying attention to being where he's supposed to be (probably a lot more common).  Giving the athletes a reason to take care of their business is probably the desired virtue in this rule.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Rules On Weighing In
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:05:55 pm »
Thanks for the response. I agree that it encourages that the wrestlers line up in order. However, I've seen wrestlers screw up many many times and leave themselves ineligible for 1 of the 2 weight classes that they would have been eligible for (weighing in too high) or just missing both weights all together because they aren't following instructions (remember some of them are only 14, some are special ed kids, etc.).

I think the negatives outweigh the positives because 1) you can ask them to line up in order anyway and for the most part they will comply, 2) there is currently no rule preventing a heavyweight from weighing in at 106 anyway, and 3) every dual meet that I've been to the coaches write the weights in anyway so there is no extra work for the official.

Even when the officials write the weights in (at tournaments sometimes), you could easily list the wrestlers in alphabetical order and it would be just as easy.

I joked around with one coach and told him that technically he could have his whole team weigh in at 106 but I was actually somewhat serious because there is nothing preventing this. They would then be eligible for the lowest weight class possible anyway.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:10:38 pm by red viking »
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901