Author Topic: SB Nation report on Senegalese wrestling  (Read 1144 times)

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
SB Nation report on Senegalese wrestling
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
"The Senegalese know wrestling as laamb, a deceptively simple contest between two men dressed in loincloths and decked in talismans. The winner is whoever puts his opponent on the ground, whether on his back, rear, stomach, or a combination of hands and knees. It is an old sport, fought in the sand, steeped in deep, village traditions. But in the last decade, this pastime has evolved into an outsized spectacle, widely televised; its champions have become wealthy celebrities with a greater claim on people’s hearts than any president or businessman. Today, the combination of legend, money and mysticism has made laamb a cradle for heroes and the ambition of every boy in Senegal."

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/3/12/4072478/senegalese-wrestling-laamb-zoss-profile

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: SB Nation report on Senegalese wrestling
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »
Thanks a guest.  That is pretty cool.

mspart

overhook

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
Ever watch a Turkish olive oil competition?  I can't remember when it was on tv but that was pretty amazing.

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
Ever watch a Turkish olive oil competition?  I can't remember when it was on tv but that was pretty amazing.

I went to a conference this past fall on the modernization of traditional wrestling. One of the presenters discussed how many of the traditionalists in Turkey are upset that the sport changed once it was televised.  Once the sport was televised, time limits were placed on matches to make it more friendly for TV. This upset many of the old timers because until that time, the sport had stayed the same for centuries.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:03:30 PM by a guest »

overhook

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
Most men in the US wouldn't be comfortable enough in their own masculinity to try olive oil wrestling.