Poll

What is your first choice for home defence

Short barreled small caliber semi auto rifle with red dot sight from trijicon
12 gauge tactical shot gun with extended tube and trijicon red dot
Modern hammerless hi capacity 9mm or 40 cal auto loader with crimson trace laser
Magnum type revolver. .357-.44 mag
1911 type pistol.
I would not use a gun for any reason.
Other; please specify.

Author Topic: Your first choice of home defense weapon  (Read 5072 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Your first choice of home defense weapon
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »
Old Jack Russell Terrier with a chip on his shoulder.

Offline MetsFan

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • AKA "everybody"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
I sleep with a hatchet and bushman knife at my bedside.  I prefer close quarter weapons because I have a fascination with the want to kill someone face to face.

Ditto on the hatchet.
There's always Bulgaria.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »
My hands and whatever weapon I could use, be it a pencil, pen, knife or blunt object.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

You too?

They're not terriers...they're terrorists.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
The Mexican Chancla
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline tpay

• LXP
  • National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »
Ditto on the Jack Russel Terrier, the little one I have alerts us if somebody walks up the driveway and sits by the window most of the day when not outside. Other then that (2) 12G shotguns one in the house and one in the garage, (1) 38 Special in the bedroom, (2) 22 rifles in the garge, plenty of baseball bats and a machete hanging near my desk in the garage, signs warning would be intruders that I have dogs and I will shot first & ask questions later with motion sensored security lights mounted in the front & back yards.

While I'm home most of the guns are loaded and ready, while I'm away at work the guns are unloaded and safely stored, I have to depend on my dogs, (( also have a mixed Queensland Heeler/Terrier who will do anything the Jack Russels does), because my wife will not use a gun, (she is quick to say 911 is the answer and I cannot convince her that it may be too late waiting for those lazy bastards).

Hell, I carry the 38 when I drive more then 25 miles from my house......you never know and I do not want to be in a situation where I cannot defend myself or my family.

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
Being serious here I have my dogs and my guns to protect my house. My wife won't touch my guns she's to afraid to even look at them. I have three inside the house in different parts of the house ready to be use in cased someone breaks in. They are well hidden and I only know where they are. The kids have zero chance of ever finding them.
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:26:33 PM »
Being serious here I have my dogs and my guns to protect my house. My wife won't touch my guns she's to afraid to even look at them. I have three inside the house in different parts of the house ready to be use in cased someone breaks in. They are well hidden and I only know where they are. The kids have zero chance of ever finding them.
NEVER.... underestimate the snooping ability of a child.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
Scopes are not essential in such times of short range action. MM size preferred.

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
The pit bull. Great dog, was sleeping with me and the bride one night. I get up and go downstairs, she hears me moving around and comes down the steps barking like a shot. Stopped when she saw me, gave me a, "What are you doing here look" and went back to bed.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline head n arm

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
My dog recently died. He was a great protector and loved children. He was a pitbull/ mastiff mix that we saved from the shelter. He would have died for us. But, I also own a 9mm that is in the top drawer of our bedside table. My wife and I both took conseal/carry classes and know how to use it properly.

Our kids took firearm safety and hunting classes at age 10. That includes my girl.
"I'm actually worse at picking winners in wrestling than I am MMA, and that is saying something"

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
My dog recently died. He was a great protector and loved children. He was a pitbull/ mastiff mix that we saved from the shelter. He would have died for us. But, I also own a 9mm that is in the top drawer of our bedside table. My wife and I both took conseal/carry classes and know how to use it properly.

Our kids took firearm safety and hunting classes at age 10. That includes my girl.
Get another dog.  It is a great burglar alarm if nothing else.  We have 2 German shepherd mix that we got from the humane society.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »

You too?

They're not terriers...they're terrorists.

He has nips many a men who have entered our property without me letting them in the gate.  He has also bit any strangers (and dogs)  that have gotten too close to the kids without his permission. 

Also, he is not a fan of people kicking balls around him.  I assume he thinks they are trying to kick him.

We are his fourth family.  I wonder why he was given up.....

Offline head n arm

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 01:59:56 PM »

Get another dog.  It is a great burglar alarm if nothing else.  We have 2 German shepherd mix that we got from the humane society.

I will in a few years. Right now we have an empty nest for the first time and plan to do some traveling.
"I'm actually worse at picking winners in wrestling than I am MMA, and that is saying something"

Offline Brew

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »
Good for you head and arm...what are your travel plans?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?