Author Topic: Michael Chandler  (Read 1893 times)

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
Michael Chandler
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
Just re-watched his fight with Eddie Alvarez.  He is the real deal and could probably challenge for a UFC title today.  Anyone know if he will ever get that chance?  He seems happy in Bellator and he is probably the new face of the company with King Mo losing, but he isn't going to face anyone better than Alvarez there.  He could gave great fights with Bendo, Pettis, Aldo, Edgar, Grant etc.  I hope he makes the move sooner rather than later, from a selfish fan perspective. 

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Chandler
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
if you're following the Eddie Alvarez story at all, I wouldn't hold out hope of anyone leaving Belator in the near future.  They have pretty rock solid contracts, with a matching period, that make it hard for anyone to move on, if Bellator doesn't want them to.

Alvarez and Bellator are heading to court to decide that one, which will set a precedent of sorts on PPV money matching. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
That's a good point.  I hope they at least bring in more talented guys then,  If not, maybe a Chandler vs. Askren superfight is in order.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
I've heard speculation that those restrictive contracts are hindering signing some talent as well.  Word is there are camps that advise young kids not to sign with them b/c of the contracts.  They radio program didn't say which camp(s) but they always seem to have pretty good inside info like that. 

I agree with you and not just for Chandler, I second competitive option to chose from only helps fighters get paid better. 
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:01:37 AM »
Bellator has to quietly settle with Alvarez.  As fuhr stated, the longer this draws out, the less likely new young fighters will want to sign up with them. 

Viacom (Bellator's new owner) should cut their losses with Eddie and move on.  After all, if he makes a splash in the UFC, it will only help the Bellator brand.

I like the concept of Bellator: Prospects & old timers, tournaments, no PPV cards, etc...but I have no clue who any of the guys on their roster are except for four guys: Chandler, Askren, Mo, and now the signing of the Janitor.

The fight with Eddie is not going to help them sign bigger names.

Why not adjust their contracts to reflect how many tournament seasons they will fight in rather than length of time in years? 

For instance, Joe Schmoe, Your contract is for two middle weight tournaments.  Whether that turns into two fights (KOed in the first round each season) or 5 fights (Lost in the secod round in one tournament, but made it to the finals of the next season)?

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:52:43 PM »
Bellator has to quietly settle with Alvarez.  As fuhr stated, the longer this draws out, the less likely new young fighters will want to sign up with them. 

Viacom (Bellator's new owner) should cut their losses with Eddie and move on.  After all, if he makes a splash in the UFC, it will only help the Bellator brand.

I like the concept of Bellator: Prospects & old timers, tournaments, no PPV cards, etc...but I have no clue who any of the guys on their roster are except for four guys: Chandler, Askren, Mo, and now the signing of the Janitor.

The fight with Eddie is not going to help them sign bigger names.

Why not adjust their contracts to reflect how many tournament seasons they will fight in rather than length of time in years? 

For instance, Joe Schmoe, Your contract is for two middle weight tournaments.  Whether that turns into two fights (KOed in the first round each season) or 5 fights (Lost in the secod round in one tournament, but made it to the finals of the next season)?

Agreed.
When all else fails, do the opposite...