Author Topic: Age of the Earth!!  (Read 1798 times)

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Age of the Earth!!
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
Why it's only 6,000 years old! Carbon dating has been shown to be off by as much as 5%, which explains the 4.54 billion year difference between the REAL age of the Earth (6,000 years) and the fake scientific age of the Earth (4.54 billion years).  I thought I understood the topic, but it wasn't until I read the article by the geniuses at Conservapedia that I really "got it".

http://www.conservapedia.com/Age_of_the_Earth
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Age of the Earth!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
Once an idiot, always an idiot.  C-14 dating isn't for millions nor billions of years.  It is only for thousands of years.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
Once an idiot, always an idiot.  C-14 dating isn't for millions nor billions of years.  It is only for thousands of years.

Hmmmm...then explain why the Conservapedia article mentions that radiocarbon dating as an example of inaccuracy?  And by the way, radiiocarbon dating is accurate for ANY organic material. Presumably it's limited only by the ability to measure ever decreasing amounts of carbon, so if the instrument were sensitive enough you could date back to the Precambrian era.

By the way, it's not nice of you to call the people at Conservapedia idiots.
Have you got to get rid of all your knowledge and all your common sense to save your soul? - Clarence Darrow

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »
Actually, Coach is right.
Also, Japanese researchers have recently shown that carbon 14 deposition is not constant. They identified a spike circa 500 AD. I believe they attribute it to coronal mass ejection from the sun and resulting increased electrical activity in the upper atmosphere. Let me look around

My bad. It was 775 AD

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/huge-burst-gamma-rays-hit-earth-and-no-one-noticed
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:28:53 PM by ocianain »
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »
Also, Japanese researchers have recently shown that carbon 14 deposition is not constant. They identified a spike circa 500 AD. I believe they attribute it to coronal mass ejection from the sun and resulting increased electrical activity in the upper atmosphere. Let me look around

My bad. It was 775 AD

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/huge-burst-gamma-rays-hit-earth-and-no-one-noticed

Interesting article Ocianain. It doesn't prove an omniscient magical being created the Earth and Universe in 7 days though. Tree growth rings are amazing, btw.

Offline head n arm

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

My bad. It was 775 AD

Interesting article Ocianain. It doesn't prove an omniscient magical being created the Earth and Universe in 7 days though. Tree growth rings are amazing, btw.

It is impossible to prove something beyond our understanding. Why do you think you are capable of understanding everything?
"I'm actually worse at picking winners in wrestling than I am MMA, and that is saying something"

Offline TobusRex

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »

My bad. It was 775 AD

It is impossible to prove something beyond our understanding. Why do you think you are capable of understanding everything?

It's not that I'm capable of understanding everything....I just recognize the insanity in magical thinking that religious fanatics don't.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
  • Tolerate everthing but Intolerance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 03:21:03 AM »

My bad. It was 775 AD

It's not that I'm capable of understanding everything....I just recognize the insanity in magical thinking that religious fanatics don't.

You're wasting your breath toby.  Those who think it is rational to believe in magical thinking are off the deep end nutty.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Bigotry disguised as religious liberty is still BIGOTRY

Offline Bozak

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »
Why do you consistently belittle people for their beliefs, Mr. Tolerance?

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »

Assuming you are speaking to me Bozak, the answer is stating simple facts doesn't belittle anyone.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;  the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Offline Bozak

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

Assuming you are speaking to me Bozak, the answer is stating simple facts doesn't belittle anyone.

I was speaking to you.  The vast majority of people who believe in a higher power are "off the deep end nutty,"  so your "facts" are not accurate.  Your gross generalization shows that you are a very small man that takes pleasure in making fun of people.  You are truly a pathetic little man.

Offline coachsparky

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »

I was speaking to you.  The vast majority of people who believe in a higher power are "off the deep end nutty,"  so your "facts" are not accurate.  Your gross generalization shows that you are a very small man that takes pleasure in making fun of people.  You are truly a pathetic little man.
\

Ah, I see, you are incapable of understanding the English language, that is why you are making such an egregious mistake.  I said, " Those who think it is rational to believe in magical thinking are off the deep end nutty."  I said nothing about people who believe in a higher power.  The majority of Christian still believe in evolution, they believe in a higher power but they also believe in science and the Natural world and processes.  They are not nutty.  Only those who resort to "well God did it" explanations are nutty.  Big difference there Bozak.  Don't worry, I am not pathetic at all and it does not offend me when people who cannot understand simple English think that I am.  I am above all that.